Scotland squad for Next month

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, livijay said:

In what way? 

In the games McLeish has been in charge, Griffiths either wasn't available (trip to South America) or wasn't getting a game at Celtic.  Naismith on the other hand has been banging them in at club level.  Naismith got his chance and scored.  Can't see what McLeish has done wrong here

Perhaps falling out with our most talismatic player.   The man who scored a cracking goal against Slovakia in his last competitive game and a brace against England the game prior.    Leigh Griffiths isn't Scotland's best player but in some ways he's our most important as he's currently unreplaceable.     So yes I can understand why - after a run of excellent performances - Leigh would have been disappointed to be dropped, especially for Naismith who plays in a different position.     But good managers can handle difficult players chuck an arm around him for the betterment of the team.    Instead McLeish has let things fester and play out in the press.    It's been terrible man management from McLeish.     McLeish did well to get McTominay his poor management might have lost us Griffiths.  

He's not in the huff and everybody is all pals -exclusive!!!

Leigh Griffiths: Celtic striker 'not in huff' after Scotland withdrawal, says coach Peter Grant
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45787486

38 minutes ago, The new Kia Ceed said:

Perhaps falling out with our most talismatic player.   The man who scored a cracking goal against Slovakia in his last competitive game and a brace against England the game prior.    Leigh Griffiths isn't Scotland's best player but in some ways he's our most important as he's currently unreplaceable.     So yes I can understand why - after a run of excellent performances - Leigh would have been disappointed to be dropped, especially for Naismith who plays in a different position.     But good managers can handle difficult players chuck an arm around him for the betterment of the team.    Instead McLeish has let things fester and play out in the press.    It's been terrible man management from McLeish.     McLeish did well to get McTominay his poor management might have lost us Griffiths.  

'A run of excellent performances'? When were they? 'Talismanic'? Who are you watching? At the time of the last game he'd scored 2 goals since April - against Partick Thistle and Suduva. And other than 3 minutes against England he has scored 2 in 18 appearances for Scotland. Scotland fans seem to think he is far better than he is. I accept there are few alternatives, but I don't think it makes much difference given how poor his record is for us.

3 hours ago, forameus said:

It's almost like he's a bit thick, and thinks that by talking nice in public, it doesn't really matter what he does in social media or anything like that.

I expect he does value his place to be honest.  But it's just another continuation of people treating this Nations League like a joke.  These are going to be the most important games we've played in decades, and a win on Thursday could well put us in a tremendous position for getting into the playoffs.  If this was a friendly, fine, but I'd expect someone like Griffiths - who everyone always says pure loves his fitbaw - to be champing at the bit to get involved.  If McLeish and his team thinks he's not fit enough, then he won't play.  Is he going to be hitting the gym on Thursday night instead?  What difference does sitting on the bench, with the chance of getting on against a side that's around our level, really make?

Terrible management from McLeish will be if there's no comeuppance for this.  We're not talking about a shining talisman in the mould of the best players in the World, we're talking about someone who isn't in particularly good form, and scored a couple of very good free-kicks in a high profile game.  He's the best out-and-out forward we have, but the difference isn't so great that we should just let him pick and choose when to play.

McLeish has a chance here to pay down a marker and show that he's not going to cave in.  But he will likely shite it, and once LG fancies playing again he'll be back in.

"almost like he's a bit thick" ?  I'm going to go right out on a limb here and suggest that he is a bit thick.

Let’s be honest an in form Griffiths is our best striker by some distance. The problem is he’s not played well for the last 15 months. He looks out of shape / injured and the goals he has scored this season have mostly been tap ins that my granny could have scored. Give him benefit of the doubt and hopefully he can get back on form. I would call up Harper see what he can add.

The problem for Griffiths is if Mcburnie Russell and Naismith do well and he continues poor form he’s going to be further down pecking order.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

'A run of excellent performances'? When were they? 'Talismanic'? Who are you watching? At the time of the last game he'd scored 2 goals since April - against Partick Thistle and Suduva. And other than 3 minutes against England he has scored 2 in 18 appearances for Scotland. Scotland fans seem to think he is far better than he is. I accept there are few alternatives, but I don't think it makes much difference given how poor his record is for us.

This, I don't see much about Griffiths to warrant him being a guaranteed starter. The goals against England will always have him as the golden child to some now, though. 

We got thumped 6-0 by Celtic yesterday, yet Griffiths done absolutely nothing. His "link up play" is laughably bad and he continuously ended attacks by spending ten minutes trying to force a shooting position with his left foot than trying the multiple different options available. He done the exact same the week before, his goal coming when our full back blocked a shot and it dropped to Griffiths three yards out with nobody near him.

Instead of McLeish arse licking sparky he should be getting him fucking punted for good.

Problem with that is he gets fit goes on and scores 40 goals next season and we are begging him to come back lol if it’s self recognition that he’s playing bad and wants to rest to get back to his best I don’t have a problem with that. He wouldn’t have got much game time these two games anyway.

3 hours ago, The new Kia Ceed said:

Nope, only person in the wrong here is Griffiths (if he has turned his back on his country) he has been out of form/not involved at celtic for months, mcleish told him he needed to be playing, to be in the Scotland team, and he's only just getting back into the celtic team now. 

There was nothing stopping him from coming along & proving to mcleish he's worthy of a place in the team but instead has thrown his toys out the pram. 

The Scotland management have done nothing wrong other than pick the inform player over one who isn't. To suggest otherwise is just wrong. 

36 minutes ago, livijay said:

Nope, only person in the wrong here is Griffiths (if he has turned his back on his country) he has been out of form/not involved at celtic for months, mcleish told him he needed to be playing, to be in the Scotland team, and he's only just getting back into the celtic team now. 

There was nothing stopping him from coming along & proving to mcleish he's worthy of a place in the team but instead has thrown his toys out the pram. 

The Scotland management have done nothing wrong other than pick the inform player over one who isn't. To suggest otherwise is just wrong. 

Again you spectacularly miss the point.    

Strachan left Strachan out of matches.    Rodgers has left Griffiths out of Old firm matches and European games.     Good managers know how to man manage players.    

Alex McLeish is Scotland manager and he has the national responsibility to get the best out of the players at his disposal.     It's clear they didn't speak after the Albania game when an arm around the shoulder and a chat with Leigh would have sorted things out.     McLeish has managed the situation terribly.   

Strachan left Strachan out of matches.    Rodgers has left Griffiths out of Old firm matches and European games.     Good managers know how to man manage players.    

Alex McLeish is Scotland manager and he has the national responsibility to get the best out of the players at his disposal.     It's clear they didn't speak after the Albania game when an arm around the shoulder and a chat with Leigh would have sorted things out.     McLeish has managed the situation terribly.   

Half agree but their needs to be a level of personal responsibility he’s not a kid he’s 28 years old and should be leading by example in the Scotland squad not causing headaches. Can’t always put it back on the manager.

6 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Half agree but their needs to be a level of personal responsibility he’s not a kid he’s 28 years old and should be leading by example in the Scotland squad not causing headaches. Can’t always put it back on the manager.

Griffiths is a half-wit but that's not that relevant.    What's important is whether you want Leigh Griffiths in the squad for Thursday and future qualifiers.     I'd have him in every squad and Griffiths immaturity and McLeish's poor man management is the combined reason he didn't travel.    The blame is probably 80/20 towards Griffiths but it's part of being an international manager to handle big egos.    We play Portugal in a few days time - you'd imagine they'd be a harder group to man manage.    

1 hour ago, The new Kia Ceed said:

I've really not. 

Griffiths threw a hissy fit because mcleish played naismith ahead of him. Griffiths made comments in the media about "feeling kicked in the teeth" or some rubbish like that. McLeish then apparently tried to contact Griffiths who allegedly blanked his calls. 

The person who has created this situation = Griffiths. McLeish has tried to speak with him, whilst Griffiths has been running his mouth off to the media. 

No player is bigger than the national team, if he thinks he deserves to play and goes in a strop if he's not, then fair enough, but he's at fault, no one else. 

Just to be clear who did Strachan leave out of matches? Also Rodgers has left Griffiths out of most matches recently until he lost dembele, which is probably why he's not starting for Scotland. 

1 minute ago, livijay said:

I've really not. 

Griffiths threw a hissy fit because mcleish played naismith ahead of him. Griffiths made comments in the media about "feeling kicked in the teeth" or some rubbish like that. McLeish then apparently tried to contact Griffiths who allegedly blanked his calls. 

The person who has created this situation = Griffiths. McLeish has tried to speak with him, whilst Griffiths has been running his mouth off to the media. 

No player is bigger than the national team, if he thinks he deserves to play and goes in a strop if he's not, then fair enough, but he's at fault, no one else. 

Just to be clear who did Strachan leave out of matches? Also Rodgers has left Griffiths out of most matches recently until he lost dembele, which is probably why he's not starting for Scotland. 

It's like the intentionally miss the part between the Albania game and Griffiths and McFadden/ McLeish speaking via the papers.      You know the nub of the matter you've been dancing about and failing.   

On Griffiths, I'm not suggesting we go all scorched Earth and send him off into the woods in exile, but there needs to be some kind of repercussion.  He certainly shouldn't be involved in our final squad this year, and then we can revisit in March once the qualifiers come around.  McLeish has the chance to lay down a marker here and make it clear that you need to properly want to be involved.  I have my doubts about whether he will though with the noises coming out of the camp currently.

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Steven Fletcher is arguably one of our more “in-form” out and out strikers at the moment.

Fun times.

Bring him home.

Archived