Scotland squad for Next month

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GordonS said:

No Ronaldo in the Portugal squad.

Would be interesting to see Portugal's results in recent years when Ronaldo has been absent.

Obviously they'll completely hammer us, but it'd be interesting to see the stats nonetheless.

McGregor

Souttar McKenna Tierney

ODonnell / Fraser    McGinn     McTominay        Robertson

Armstrong McGregor

Griffiths / Naismith

I would go with this team

20 minutes ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

McGregor

Souttar McKenna Tierney

ODonnell / Fraser    McGinn     McTominay        Robertson

Armstrong McGregor

Griffiths / Naismith

I would go with this team

Hard to disagree with that.  Centre half is still terrifying, and I'd like to think they'd play Fraser over O'Donnell in what appears a very winnable game against Israel, but that's pretty much the team.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Hard to disagree with that.  Centre half is still terrifying, and I'd like to think they'd play Fraser over O'Donnell in what appears a very winnable game against Israel, but that's pretty much the team.

O'Donnell had a great game against Albania, would be extremely harsh to drop him IMO. From the above line-up I would have McTominay making way with Armstrong taking his position and Fraser taking Armstrongs.

22 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

O'Donnell had a great game against Albania, would be extremely harsh to drop him IMO. From the above line-up I would have McTominay making way with Armstrong taking his position and Fraser taking Armstrongs.

Beat me to it. Good to have Forrest as pacey impact sub on the right for later on too if we need it (and we no doubt will).

I'd have McKenna, Armstrong and Fraser in for Mulgrew, McDonald and Russell.

Griffiths is beginning to look a bit more like his usual self and should definitely be in contention, but it would be difficult to justify 'dropping' Naismith after his contribution against Albania. It is feasible that both could start, but it would mean somebody else dropping out, and it's difficult to see an obvious candidate (other than perhaps Russell, who I'd imagine will make way for Fraser, unless McLeish prefers him at wing-back).

In the Albania game, I thought McGinn looked worse in the second half when he was asked to play holding midfield. He was just allowed to run around bodying c***s in the first half, with the 'safety' net of McDonald ensuring he wasn't leaving the midfield completely open. There were two or three occasions of Albania walking through the midfield once McDonald went off. 

McDonald's not really done anything for Scotland, but he's the only player in the squad who's naturally a holding midfielder. 

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

In the Albania game, I thought McGinn looked worse in the second half when he was asked to play holding midfield. He was just allowed to run around bodying c***s in the first half, with the 'safety' net of McDonald ensuring he wasn't leaving the midfield completely open. There were two or three occasions of Albania walking through the midfield once McDonald went off. 

McDonald's not really done anything for Scotland, but he's the only player in the squad who's naturally a holding midfielder. 

This. McDonald is ponderous but it was notable that after he went off the Albanians continually waltzed right through the centre of our midfield. If McGinn is going "all-action" he needs somebody to steady the ship beside him.

4 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Beat me to it. Good to have Forrest as pacey impact sub on the right for later on too if we need it (and we no doubt will).

Might have played himself into a starting slot after his 4 goal show today

21 hours ago, TeeMan said:

This. McDonald is ponderous but it was notable that after he went off the Albanians continually waltzed right through the centre of our midfield. If McGinn is going "all-action" he needs somebody to steady the ship beside him.

It may have been being a goal behind that meant the Albanians started to push through our midfield.

So the thumb has pulled out to focus on his fitness. What an utter c**t. He’s probably been told he won’t start and has taken the huff.

Absolute fanny. Hope he breaks his legs playing in some Celtic bounce game.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

So the thumb has pulled out to focus on his fitness. What an utter c**t. He’s probably been told he won’t start and has taken the huff.

While you're never going to be able to prove it either way, that really stinks.  Already publicly liking social media posts, and last week McLeish saying he wasn't returning calls, very much looks like he's taking the huff.

If so, I'm inclined to say get him to f**k, at least for the time-being.  He's probably our strongest forward, but the difference isn't so massive that we should just pander to someone.  Are we seeing Steven Fletcher Part Deux?

Archived