Scotland squad for Next month

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Well given what Griffiths has been liking on twitter I’m not sure he’ll be there....

IMG_1536787195.422304.thumb.jpg.02e4b700350c9fd65f201c3c2d09cb68.jpg

The boy is a fucking idiot. Shouldn’t be allowed on twitter.

That's not too clever, is it?  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was liking the idea that Griffiths should go out and prove McLeish wrong, but even still.  He's going to retire in a strop soon if not.

Griffiths would be better spending his time trying to remind himself that he's unlikely to score from thirty yards every time he shoots, and that passing is the best option most of the time. His selfishness from those positions is why he's struggled to be first choice for club and country for any noticeable length of time. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Griffiths would be better spending his time trying to remind himself that he's unlikely to score from thirty yards every time he shoots, and that passing is the best option most of the time. His selfishness from those positions is why he's struggled to be first choice for club and country for any noticeable length of time. 

Absolutely this.  There were 2 or 3 occasions when he came on on Monday where he could've slipped someone in (O'Donnell mostly I think) but chose to run headlong into the gathering of defenders and try to get a pointless shot off.  

44 minutes ago, forameus said:

Absolutely this.  There were 2 or 3 occasions when he came on on Monday where he could've slipped someone in (O'Donnell mostly I think) but chose to run headlong into the gathering of defenders and try to get a pointless shot off.  

Frustrating as fuck watching him the other night.  He's really bad for not keeping his head up and seeing others in better positions.

Guest DAVIDB69
There's too many folk in the squad in their mid 20s with less than ten caps to their name. At a time they should be experienced internationals they're still only picking up the odd cap here and there and usually in friendlies. Instead of chucking in untested players look at the pool of about 30 players who've been around the squad for a while (Shinnie, McGregor, Cooper, McLean, etc.) and build strong base of a squad out of them. If someone like Hornby or Gilmour forces their way in before then all the better but it'd be to their benefit in the long term to have them come into a settled squad with some continuity than having the weight of the world on their shoulders now.

But a lot of that is due to the strachan era where players were “young” till their late 20s and only given a chance then.

The dads army favourites of strachan a factor as well

But a lot of that is due to the strachan era where players were “young” till their late 20s and only given a chance then.

The dads army favourites of strachan a factor as well

Lol shinnie, McLean and cooper are no where near Scotland 1st team and simply aren’t that good that’s why they don’t have caps. Agree Mcgregor and Fraser should have more.

If you are good enough you will get caps early for example Robertson 23 caps Tierney 10 caps Mcginn 9 caps. In the past fletcher McFadden brown naysmith Caldwell etc all got good amount of caps before they were 25. If your bang average like shinnie cooper Rhodes McLean etc you won’t.

1 hour ago, skippy2015 said:

Lol shinnie, McLean and cooper are no where near Scotland 1st team and simply aren’t that good that’s why they don’t have caps. Agree Mcgregor and Fraser should have more.

If you are good enough you will get caps early for example Robertson 23 caps Tierney 10 caps Mcginn 9 caps. In the past fletcher McFadden brown naysmith Caldwell etc all got good amount of caps before they were 25. If your bang average like shinnie cooper Rhodes McLean etc you won’t.

I'd argue that Robertson should have had more than that by now.  He was left out plenty times under Strachan to allow us to go with 'experience' with the likes of Mulgrew or Whittaker at left back, despite being far superior. 

Edit - had a quick look at a few games in 2014 / 2015  when Robertson was playing for Hull mainly in the EPL we started with Whittaker 3 times, Mulgrew twice and Forsyth once.  Remember thinking it was frustrating at the time and just seems ridiculous now.  It's not as if the defence was watertight an impossible to break into at the time either!

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That was because Strachan was shit scared of playing anyone in the SPFL. "Guy doing great for Aberdeen? Let's not play him until he's 26 and playing for Cardiff"

That's one of the most progressive and refreshing things about McLeish's approach so far - he's opened the door to the best talent playing in the Scottish league and it's been a win IMO. Souttar got a game when he could have called up Russell Martin or someone from the English Championship, and so did O'Donnell - a move that some claimed was McLeish's suicide note... until he went out and played a blinder.

All the call offs for the Mexico/Peru games might have forced his hand a little. Would O'Donnell have got into the squad if all the other right backs hadn't pulled a sickie for those two? Did having to make a national team filled with guys like Chris Cadden and Ryan Christie make him reappraise the quality of players in the SPFL?

While Strachan maybe could have made some different decisions, giving him pelters while simultaneously praising McLeish seems a bit off.  The latter pretty much had to go to players in the SPFL because a lot of the more experienced ones Strachan was picking are now not available.  Had they been, I expect they'd have been in instead of the new blood.  Strachan was getting results by sticking with a settled side with experience in the latter half of the campaign, but had he been kept on I expect he'd have had to make some similar decisions, and we'd probably be seeing similar squads.

Although having said that, I think we are getting a fresher squad than we would have under Strachan, just not to the extent that some believe.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Strachan was getting results by sticking with a settled side with experience in the latter half of the campaign, but had he been kept on I expect he'd have had to make some similar decisions, and we'd probably be seeing similar squads.

Although having said that, I think we are getting a fresher squad than we would have under Strachan, just not to the extent that some believe.

Weirdly I saw it as him getting results when he started playing players who had been left out of the first few teams in the campaign for "experienced" players.

14 hours ago, Honest_Ally said:

He needs to take a look at his performances for Scotland. Barring two free kicks he has looked completely out of his depth and Forrest has yet to have a good game for us either.

This is utter pish 

6 hours ago, forameus said:

While Strachan maybe could have made some different decisions, giving him pelters while simultaneously praising McLeish seems a bit off.  The latter pretty much had to go to players in the SPFL because a lot of the more experienced ones Strachan was picking are now not available.  Had they been, I expect they'd have been in instead of the new blood.  Strachan was getting results by sticking with a settled side with experience in the latter half of the campaign, but had he been kept on I expect he'd have had to make some similar decisions, and we'd probably be seeing similar squads.

In McLeish's first squad, he chose to leave out Russell Martin, Hanley and Berra and selected Hendry and McKenna instead. Same goes with McBurnie for Chris Martin. I know they're not all non OF Spfl prem players but they were refreshing choices nonetheless.

Archived