Dream Team v Elgin

Scott suddenly spices up our attack alongside the very impressive Healey  who was previously fighting a lone battle. 

Ollie Fleming's departure (today) frees up a wage to being in another defender.

If we hadn't had the battle of the Shielfield stair lift, we could have been rebuilding in July.

Scott suddenly spices up our attack alongside the very impressive Healey  who was previously fighting a lone battle. 
Ollie Fleming's departure (today) frees up a wage to being in another defender.
If we hadn't had the battle of the Shielfield stair lift, we could have been rebuilding in July.
I wonder if last night's (and tonight's) reserve matches will influence the selection. Dancing in the streets of Raith last night.....

1 hour ago, Disc Potato said:

3 points tomorrow will leave us only needing a point against Albion Rovers to secure our safety for another season.

Hopefully we can build on the win two weeks ago and start enjoying the season.

That's so scarily true, good luck Robbie and the boys 

Told myself 2 things after the 0-3 v Annan. Firstly, beware of emotions influenced by alcohol and second, try to be positive.

Well, feck that.

What a load of old bollocks that was. Outclassed by a reasonably ordinary team that just knew what they were doing and got gifted the usual first half goals from our piss-poor defence. 

I took to watching our midfield to see if they were somehow culpable defensively and.... Yeah. With knobs on. Willis and Brown might get a tackle in if they set off earlier (previous Tuesday would be an improvement) and O'Kane is just pish.

Meanwhile, at the back, only Todd and Cook would maybe get a sniff of a chance with other teams at this level. Wilson isn't good enough. Orru is not a left back.

Gruesome stuff and the bottom line is that whilst we battle away with a bit of passion from time to time, we  have the quality of a cheap polyester suit from a Tesco bargain bucket.

I'm not happy. Though the piss-take of their little squealing forward was a bit of a giggle.

Not the result we wanted, but with Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers losing I shan't complain. It's a season of survival with most of the board shenanigans now hopefully behind us. Hope Robbie is afforded full trust from everyone at the club and can squeeze all he can out of the team. No shortage of fight in the lads, but plenty of shortages elsewhere.

I know it's early days, but if we take a further 9 points off Albion Rovers and they fail to reinvent themselves during the winter break, we can coast to safety.

51 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Not the result we wanted, but with Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers losing I shan't complain. It's a season of survival with most of the board shenanigans now hopefully behind us. Hope Robbie is afforded full trust from everyone at the club and can squeeze all he can out of the team. No shortage of fight in the lads, but plenty of shortages elsewhere.

I know it's early days, but if we take a further 9 points off Albion Rovers and they fail to reinvent themselves during the winter break, we can coast to safety.

If Robbie horn had been manager of any other team in this league he would have been sacked after Cowdenbeath game played 47 and won 10 games against the worst teams not a good record 

No shortage of fight in the lads? Surely you mustn't have been at either the cowden game or the game today.

Spoiler

There is reasonable effort but  a chronic shortage of ability. It's epitomised by the way we go in for headers and tackles, where the sole objective is to get there first, with zero interest in what happens to the ball afterwards. It is not a fluke that Elgin's defensive headers tend to land at the feet of their own players - likewise their interceptions/tackles. We are lucky if ours go in Row Z so that we can regroup.

The pound per point scheme won't raise much at this rate, but I'd happily pay £3 if we lose, so long as I don't have to watch Declan O'Kane again. He makes Robert Wilson look talented.

I've tried hard to be positive this  season because the manager has genuinely been dealt a crap hand,  but I'm heartily sick of watching this shite week after week. We only have 4 defenders for Christ's sake, and 2 of them wouldn't get a game for Albion Rovers.

Anyone thinking I'm a tad harsh on our defence, wait till you see the highlights.

Spoiler  
There is reasonable effort but  a chronic shortage of ability. It's epitomised by the way we go in for headers and tackles, where the sole objective is to get there first, with zero interest in what happens to the ball afterwards. It is not a fluke that Elgin's defensive headers tend to land at the feet of their own players - likewise their interceptions/tackles. We are lucky if ours go in Row Z so that we can regroup.
The pound per point scheme won't raise much at this rate, but I'd happily pay £3 if we lose, so long as I don't have to watch Declan O'Kane again. He makes Robert Wilson look talented.
I've tried hard to be positive this  season because the manager has genuinely been dealt a crap hand,  but I'm heartily sick of watching this shite week after week. We only have 4 defenders for Christ's sake, and 2 of them wouldn't get a game for Albion Rovers.
Anyone thinking I'm a tad harsh on our defence, wait till you see the highlights.

I was at the game and, TBH, I don't think it was shite, and Robbie's summary was, as ever, honest and accurate. We had our share of chances, but basic errors killed us, that hard work and a bit of belief will help.

What can't be solved, I'm afraid, is the hard challenge that facing strong and experience players gives us. Going 3 at the back 2nd half helped a lot on midfield, but the 2 clearly experienced midfielders Elgin had ran the show; and Beattie was impressively solid in his play and decision making.

Long term, it's still about grass roots; short term, I'm optimistic we can maybe get some strong loanee's. I don't see us getting talented experienced players at this stage.

Next week, if we can not gift anything, early doors (or at all) I think our squad are more than able to get something; and I include our back 4 in that. All good players, who need to gel as a unit with Brennan.

Archived