Booing of Rangers Players - Does it Happen?

AyrTroopMajor

You can be both Scottish and British. I, and thousands of others, have been attending both Rangers and Scotland games for many years and have sang GSTQ and Flower of Scotland regularly. They are not necessarily opposing concepts.
Also worth noting that GSTQ was sung at Scottish National football games in 60s & 70s
People used to wear blackface and sing "Mammy" on prime time British TV in the sixties and seventies. Doesn't mean it was right.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/11/2018 at 11:27, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Id happily boo a Rangers player if I saw him in Asda tbf.

I saw Big b*****d Bruno Alves in Waitrose near me.  He looked genuinely upset to be there, although that might've been because his wife looked very similar to him.

On 11/09/2018 at 15:10, edinabear said:

You can be both Scottish and British. I, and thousands of others, have been attending both Rangers and Scotland games for many years and have sang GSTQ and Flower of Scotland regularly. They are not necessarily opposing concepts.

Please present your argument.

On 11/09/2018 at 13:48, Ned Nederlander said:

I booed Gary McAllister, not because he missed a penalty like those fandans in the press assumed but because he'd been utterly utterly gash against the Czechs and needed to be subbed uber pronto.

Boo the manager, not the player.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:10, edinabear said:

Also worth noting that GSTQ was sung at Scottish National football games in 60s & 70s

Certainly true that it was played as the "anthem" then but having been at Wembley in 1967 and 1981 and at Hampden in the 60s,  it was not sung by many fans on those occasions. It was the Rugby guys who turned away from GSTQ if memory serves me right and as fans began to boo GSTQ at football internationals the SFA move to follow that trend.  I think both songs are dire as stirring melodies/lyrics for a football match but don't really get too bothered

11 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Certainly true that it was played as the "anthem" then but having been at Wembley in 1967 and 1981 and at Hampden in the 60s,  it was not sung by many fans on those occasions. It was the Rugby guys who turned away from GSTQ if memory serves me right and as fans began to boo GSTQ at football internationals the SFA move to follow that trend.  I think both songs are dire as stirring melodies/lyrics for a football match but don't really get too bothered

Pretty sure that Flower of Scotland was only adopted by the football team after the 1990 rugby grand slam brought it to wider prominence.

On 9/16/2018 at 09:15, JamesM82 said:

Pretty sure that Flower of Scotland was only adopted by the football team after the 1990 rugby grand slam brought it to wider prominence.

Didn't the SFA used to use Scotland the Brave. Pretty sure the commonweath games teams used it well into the 2000s. 

there are small idiotic minorities of fans that boo players - not just rangers players. But yes - Ryan Jack was booed at both the Belgium game, and up in Aberdeen last month.
Scott Brown was also booed, as have other Celtic players. I've also heard booing for hearts and hibs players.
Silly and petty from a minority of idiots. Come support Scotland, leave your club colours at the door. Or don't bother.

Ian Black and Ryan Jack are a couple of fannies but I can't get my head round booing players on your own team, unless they've done something pathetic like sitting in the dugout giving the entire stadium the middle finger. 

Same goes for the idiots that booed Chris Martin. He might have been shite but it was hardly his fault Strachan picked him. If you disagree with someone being picked or don't like the club they play for fair enough but booing them mid-game is hardly the most constructive way to voice that opinion. I just can't imagine being at Hampden and booing a Scotland player purely because they play for Killie and have said a few nasty things about Ayr.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Ian Black and Ryan Jack are a couple of fannies but I can't get my head round booing players on your own team, unless they've done something pathetic like sitting in the dugout giving the entire stadium the middle finger. 

Same goes for the idiots that booed Chris Martin. He might have been shite but it was hardly his fault Strachan picked him. If you disagree with someone being picked or don't like the club they play for fair enough but booing them mid-game is hardly the most constructive way to voice that opinion. I just can't imagine being at Hampden and booing a Scotland player purely because they play for Killie and have said a few nasty things about Ayr.

a) it was the V

b) you've obviously bought the press line that it was aimed at the fans, not the media (who had, rightly, torn them a new one for their Cameron House piss up)

c) has McGregor ever been booed for that since he came back into the fold?

51 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

a) it was the V

b) you've obviously bought the press line that it was aimed at the fans, not the media (who had, rightly, torn them a new one for their Cameron House piss up)

c) has McGregor ever been booed for that since he came back into the fold?

a) one of them was giving the v's and the other was giving the middle finger. And other than being a pedant for the sake of it I don't know why that matters - it makes absolutley no difference to my point

b) either way it was incredibly childish behaviour and they were rightly criticised for it

c) I've no idea, my point is that IF they were booed it would have been justified, whereas booing a player because of who they play for and/or you don't think they're good enough does no one any favours

Archived