Snowflake Big Brother  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours of Lobster boy, King of the incels incoming.

If Lobster boy can give me something other than the same tired old shite about how Islam, immigration and feminists are the boogeyman, mostly because they're the new thing to pick on because they can't get the thickest of the thick c***s to swallow that the Jews or the Irish are the boogeyman anymore, I'll be all ears.

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I know it's not cool to defend the MSM, but 30 years ago the likes of Watson, Alex Jones et al couldn't have existed because they'd have had to go thru some sort of filter, some sort of QC, whether that be a reporter or an editor or a producer or whoever, who would then realize that no, this is horseshit, and would nix whatever at that point. The worrying trend - and certainly the worrying thing about people relying on social media for news - is that there is no filter, social media moves faster than journalism can, and we are invited to give horseshit the same credence as we would truthful reporting. It's a big part in why the far right is being normalized. A 2 minute look at Tommy Robinson's criminal history would confirm that he's an arsepiece of high order and should be taken about as seriously as a bowl of custard, however with that knowledge hidden or obfuscated he can maintain a veneer of whatever the f**k he's trying to maintain a veneer of. Yes, that information is all available online, and we have the knowledge of the ages in a phone in our pocket, but when we're all 13 and not looking in the French dictionary after we've learned the word for 'cock' and 'tits' it's not helpful.

There have always been channels for objectionable c***s to get their views heard. There have always been objectionable c***s that want to hear them.

The daily mail was edited in the 30s as an obvious example. 

You are right that 30 years ago you couldn't spend a whole evening gaining instant access to videos of these c***s.  You'd probably find them on James Whale or some shock jock on local radio.

30 years ago i couldn't spend whole evenings following, say, developments in the replicability crisis in the social sciences. I'd be lucky to find more than a 15 minute open university doc on empirical method. The debates behind this have been driven by plurality in access to publishing papers and the breaking down of entrenched "gatekeeper" power. 

I think you are partly right that more people can get influenced by c***s. The flipside is that more people can influence more people, and we can all benefit.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

There have always been channels for objectionable c***s to get their views heard. There have always been objectionable c***s that want to hear them.

The daily mail was edited in the 30s as an obvious example. 

You are right that 30 years ago you couldn't spend a whole evening gaining instant access to videos of these c***s.  You'd probably find them on James Whale or some shock jock on local radio.

30 years ago i couldn't spend whole evenings following, say, developments in the replicability crisis in the social sciences. I'd be lucky to find more than a 15 minute open university doc on empirical method. The debates behind this have been driven by plurality in access to publishing papers and the breaking down of entrenched "gatekeeper" power. 

I think you are partly right that more people can get influenced by c***s. The flipside is that more people can influence more people, and we can all benefit.

I wish more academic papers were available to the public, it's infuriating when you find a paywall. Objectionable c***s have their place but they shouldn't be given it to knowingly lie, especially when raising lynch mobs against the innocent.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wish more academic papers were available to the public, it's infuriating when you find a paywall. Objectionable c***s have their place but they shouldn't be given it to knowingly lie, especially when raising lynch mobs against the innocent.

I agree but i can't think of any way to legislate to stop them without (to me) unacceptable restriction of others' freedoms.

We can legislate, and do have in place laws, to punish those that abuse the freedom to a criminal extent.

Political and commercial pressure can also play a part in making platforms/providers self-police. Nobody has a right to Facebook.

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

<racist! sexist! transphobe! mummyhelp! etc>

:lol:

P&B resident 'Progressive' snowflakes appearing out of the woodwork, triggered by libraries, debates and lectures, just like their brethren acting this out in the field and being pandered to.

Terrifying.

v1.bjsyMzI2NzA7ajsxNzgyMjsxMjAwOzIwNDg7MTUzNg

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

A brainwashed 'Progressive' ideologue pontificating about folk lying and raising lynch mobs, oh the humanity :lol:

Sweetheart, as anyone interested in digging levels beyond headlines and Acceptable Narratives has known for many years now, there is something called Sci Hub for your academic paper needs.

4chan snowflakes getting suddenly outraged by censorship when Alex Jones gets banned and taken to court for setting his followers on the parents of the slaughtered schoolkids at Sandy Hook Primary School. Then claiming it's not about him without coming up with another example of censorship.

14 minutes ago, banana said:

P&B resident 'Progressive' snowflakes appearing out of the woodwork, triggered by libraries, debates and lectures, just like their brethren acting this out in the field and being pandered to.

Terrifying.

Your ridiculous reply had nothing to do with what I had said. Also enjoying the irony of you using Fahrenheit 451 to show yourself up. You really are unaware of Bradbury's central theme of that book aren't you? Bless

(Hint: it's not about totalitarianism)

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Your ridiculous reply had nothing to do with what I had said. Also enjoying the irony of you using Fahrenheit 451 to show yourself up. You really are unaware of Bradbury's central theme of that book aren't you? Bless

(Hint: it's not about totalitarianism)

How dare anyone refer beyond a central theme without first checking with the Progressive Overlords :angry: 

Simply disgusting oversight that has now been Corrected, Commissar!

img.thumb.jpg.33ce2b7d3335061b32369795692d80cb.jpg

Bit of a long watch but if anyone's interested in a takedown of internet bell end by proper journalist, this is as comprehensive as it gets.

https://www.gq.com/story/trump-jr-anderson-cooper

I'm sure I'm absolutely wrong and it's just a case of a snowflake being triggered tho. Lulz, and whatnot.

On 17/09/2018 at 20:53, banana said:

Terrifying.

Not all dystopias are nightmares:

i believe you would call these feminazis? doesn't seem such a bad idea.

download-1.jpg

On 11/09/2018 at 11:30, killiefan27 said:

I just made an absolutely superb cup of tea.

You know that way you just sometimes get it absolutely spot-on, and while drinking it you're thinking "man, this is a GREAT cup of tea".

Was so good I made a second one, but while the second was perfectly acceptable it didn't quite hit the heights. It's some form of alchemy, I think.

There's obviously skill involved in making a good cup but it seems you need a bit of luck as well to make a great cup.

I would have more respect for Cooper if his interview of Trump before the election wasn't piss-weak.
If the media hadn't given him the time of day they could have shut him down.

Again, tho, it's a symptom of us now being encouraged to treat horseshit with the same credence as rational thought. You've got mushroomdick telling folks Obama is the literal founder of ISIS, not by power vaccuum, but by physically going and getting a load of jihadis together for a good craic. The fact that his opening speech didn't shoot his campaign in the head meant the sky was the limit for it.

I always get pissed off when folk on telly/radio interview these arseholes from the far right. They always go straight for the "there are accusations of racism" thing which, although they clearly are racist, they're not stupid enough to come out and say "black people are inferior". They use dog whistles and creative language so can easily bat it away. A much better tactic is what James O'Brien did to Nigel Farage and grill him on his actual policies, and how they would work, in the same way you would question Corbyn/Sturgeon/May/etc.

Then their ridiculous bluster is shown up for exactly what it is. If some racist in denial twat is supporting a racist in denial politician then accusations of racism just make them double down.

There is a push back in academic libraries to the publishers keeping stuff behind a paywall and charging excessive amounts for access. There are a few plans on the go to make work much more widely available but this is turning into a bit of a battle with some publishers [emoji23]

We are getting there. Making academic work Open Access is becoming a lot bigger now: if you see a reference to an academic paper you want to read you can usually go to the authors institution and either see if it is available via their repository or if it is embargoed, you can ask the author (r their institution) for a copy.

Getting the word out to the public is the hard part really!

I was in the queue at Aldi a few weeks ago, standing behind a couple of teenagers - a guy and a girl. They were talking about someone they know, and the girl (with a strong Edinburgh accent...) was saying "yeah, she's suuuuuch a bitch. Anyway, I've kept all the stuff she posted on Facebook, and told her that I will take it to the police if she doesn't stop it right now..."

I was a bit intrigued, and listened for more. Turns out the girl in the shop had posted a picture of a teddy bear on Facebook, and another lassie was taking the pish about it. Police, for that? Jesus...

Archived