Uefa plans third European club competition from 2021

NorthernLights

12 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Spanish teams always take the Europa seriously that’s why they win it so often

They don't though.

Sevilla have a great record in it and there's no disputing that and obviously Atletico last year, however the likes of Bilbao and Sociedad are renowned for putting out shadow sides when they have an important la liga game at the weekend.

The bottom line is that the size and quality of pool dictates how good or bad that these teams ultimately do, however Sevilla, their success aside, have also not always put out what would be seen as their best first 11 but due to having good strength in depth they have still managed to have great success in the tournament.

Fear of relegation is generally the determining factor for English and Spanish mid tier clubs who don't have the biggest and strongest pools and as a result many treat their domestic fixtures as the priority over European competition, which of course is all down to money rather than sporting interests.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/celtic-amongst-clubs-at-forefront-of-organising-uefas-new-third-european-competition/

A DIRECTOR of Rangers’ next Europa League opponents, Rapid Vienna, has revealed that Celtic are at the forefront of organising the new third European competition.

UEFA are set to give the green light to a third European trophy, which would reduce the number of teams in the Europa League.

The idea is been driven by the European Club Association and would certainly offer up more opportunities for Scottish football to reach the Group Stages of all competitions.

And now Rapid director and ECA member, Raphael Landthaler, has specified the clubs are driving the idea.

He said: “We have another meeting to confirm the plan on Tuesday.

“I am in the taskforce charged with delivering the plan, alongside Celtic, Ajax and HJK Helsinki.

“The model will have all three competitions having 32 teams in their Group Stages.

“Up to 20 national champions will be guaranteed a place in one of the Group Stages.

“Every nation in Europe will be represented in all three competitions. The top nations won’t get any more places.

“That’s attractive for countries like Austria, Scotland and the Netherlands.

“For example, this year AC Milan could have been in the Group Stages of the new competition.

“Presuming Austria does not regress in the co-efficients, we would have a team in the Group Stages of all three competitions by 2020.

“UEFA will guarantee the flow of money throughout all three competitions, and the new tournament will have the same money as the Europa League.

“It’s provisionally called EL 2, but Challenge League is another possible name for it.”

It will be the first time since the Intertoto Cup was disbanded in 2008 that UEFA will have three club competitions on the go.

Earlier this year, Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell called for the Europa League to be expanded, and the Hoops now seem to be behind the move for an extra competition.

Two main things that are new to me is that upto the Top 20 League champions could get group stage football. Guessing that'll be with an extension of the Champions Route into the Europa League or this new competition.

The other point being that the top countries aren't meant to be getting any more places. I'm guessing the likes of Burnley would get into the group stage of this new competition instead of Europa League qualifiers as an example.

If new competition is below EL, and 20 champions are guaranteed slots throughout... basically EL becomes 'CL Division 2' - and Challenge League is effectively current EL, less the champions?

Given only 16 more places Aberdeen/similar still mightn't feature, either?

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If new competition is below EL, and 20 champions are guaranteed slots throughout... basically EL becomes 'CL Division 2' - and Challenge League is effectively current EL, less the champions?

It doesn't seem to be for the Aberdeen's of Europe, but more of a catch all for the Top 6-20 Leagues to get their top sides in group stage football having been displaced by the Champions League/Europa League redistribution so heavily favouring the Top 5 leagues.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Up to 20 champions in group stage football would be less than there is this season - there's currently 15 (plus the 2 title holders) in the UCL, and 8 in the UEL.

It's up to the Top 20 Leagues being guaranteed group stage football of some kind. So say the 16th ranked league's champion get's knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers, instead of Europa League qualifiers they'd got straight to the Europa/Challenge League Group Stage automatically.

53 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's up to the Top 20 Leagues being guaranteed group stage football of some kind. So say the 16th ranked league's champion get's knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers, instead of Europa League qualifiers they'd got straight to the Europa/Challenge League Group Stage automatically.

I see what you mean. Though looking at this season's top 20 only the champions from leagues 17, 18, and 20 - Romania, Denmark, and Poland - missed out on one of the 27 group stage spots available.

36 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I see what you mean. Though looking at this season's top 20 only the champions from leagues 17, 18, and 20 - Romania, Denmark, and Poland - missed out on one of the 27 group stage spots available.

Think everyone would be tempted by the guarantee over the possibility of qualifying. UEFA probably like it as well from a TV rights perspective in having 20 countries with an active media interest over some bigger countries only engaged casually.

I saw an interesting idea for the format on another website.

Basically, the player claims (or is assigned) one case or a box at the start of the game, without its contents being revealed. The contestant then chooses the other cases or boxes, one at a time, to be immediately opened and removed from play. Throughout the game, the player is offered an amount of money or prizes to quit, being asked the titular question, "Deal or no deal?" If the contestant rejects every deal and eliminates all the other cases or boxes, the player keeps the money that was in the original case or box. Thus, the contestant "wins" depending on whether the player should have taken one of the deals or should have held onto the original case or box until the very end.

Edited by Barry Ferguson's Hat

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:16, Austinho said:

Someone on r/soccer created a proposal of how a 3rd UEFA competition (which they dubbed The UEFA Shield) could look:

5pdse5ga67o11.thumb.png.985f55e14d58843f02abae4c8901be2f.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/9iifee/a_comprehensive_schematic_of_how_a_third_uefa/

Far too many rounds, I believe they are looking to cut the number of qualifying rounds and that format adds on even more game

23 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think that's going to be how it works, because I'm sure I read somewhere that every country will have representation in all three tournaments.

I had read the top 4 associations would have no entrants in this competition.

As I posted earlier I am sure this competition will be "Champions league light"

Using this season Celtic would start in the Champions league, then when eliminated drop into this new competition. using the current qualifying format for the Champions league there were 10 teams in the Non Champions route so 8 of those would drop into this new competition along with those eliminated in the champions route from round 2.  (This year that would give another 20 teams).  Add in say the previous seasons winner of this competition or runner up and the winner of theEuropa league and there you have your 32 teams,

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:23, FairWeatherFan said:

Think everyone would be tempted by the guarantee over the possibility of qualifying. UEFA probably like it as well from a TV rights perspective in having 20 countries with an active media interest over some bigger countries only engaged casually.

I think you are spot on, in time the rights in the mid range nations may drop as their teams could never play group football under the current format.

How much will a TV station in Poland or Israel pay going forward on the current set up when the chances of their teams playing group football are slim.

I guess UEFA need a balance between the money from Spain, England, Germany, Italy and France and the rest of us.  

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:23, HibeeJibee said:

The likes of Aberdeen will on feature if we get up to two places or they win the league.

For a small team winning a league this mid range competition could be ideal in that its likely they would go out in the qualifiers but could be a match for smaller nations qualifiers.

4 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Far too many rounds, I believe they are looking to cut the number of qualifying rounds and that format adds on even more game

I had read the top 4 associations would have no entrants in this competition.

As I posted earlier I am sure this competition will be "Champions league light"

Using this season Celtic would start in the Champions league, then when eliminated drop into this new competition. using the current qualifying format for the Champions league there were 10 teams in the Non Champions route so 8 of those would drop into this new competition along with those eliminated in the champions route from round 2.  (This year that would give another 20 teams).  Add in say the previous seasons winner of this competition or runner up and the winner of theEuropa league and there you have your 32 teams,

This just sounds as if it's going to follow along the same lines as the Internationals where they basically just want the "elite" continuously playing against each other and the rest are bought off with a few pieces of silver and told to bugger off down the other park and play with weans.............

18 hours ago, WATTOO said:

This just sounds as if it's going to follow along the same lines as the Internationals where they basically just want the "elite" continuously playing against each other and the rest are bought off with a few pieces of silver and told to bugger off down the other park and play with weans.............

This is far better than the closed shop that I thought we were heading to.

Id also suggest that a strong Scottish side could go far in a "champions league light"

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=2585829.html

EDIT - from 2021, Scotland has one team in Champions League, none in Europa League, and three in the Petrofac League.

Uefa helping the big nations again. 

Edited by Eoin Doyle