Uefa plans third European club competition from 2021

NorthernLights

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

This could have been a really good competition if they'd prevented the big 5 leagues from joining it.

I'm surprised the big 5 want anything to do with it.  Although based on this year it would've been Granada, Spurs, Wolfsburg, AC Milan and Reims so possibly some of them would take it seriously enough.

4 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm surprised the big 5 want anything to do with it.  Although based on this year it would've been Granada, Spurs, Wolfsburg, AC Milan and Reims so possibly some of them would take it seriously enough.

I am as well. There was a chance to build a genuinely good competition for the diddy nations here.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

This could have been a really good competition if they'd prevented the big 5 leagues from joining it.

It will be utterly depressing when the final is contested by the 6th place team from Spain play the 7th place team from Germany in the final.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It will be utterly depressing when the final is contested by the 6th place team from Spain play the 7th place team from Germany in the final.

You mean the prospect of a Burnley - Villarreal final in Albania doesn't excite you?

Spreadsheet with the predicted groups based on current league positions and seedings: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=4FE4712A1E3EA4FA!301&ithint=file%2Cxlsx&authkey=!AI0j65LlMWkMofc
Currently Aberdeen could be facing Barcelona, Feyenoord, and some pot 4 diddy.
OK, am I right in thinking that whoever finishes 3rd/wins the cup, will get pumped up a level in Europa League qualifying because there is no Conference League title holder in 2021/22.

So Turkey 3/cw go directly into groups. Denmark and Scotland go into PO and there are only 4 teams in the Main Path Q3 (Czech and 3x CL losers) for 2 spots in the PO round.

So Playoff Round Direct entrants are

Assoc 8-14 (7 teams) directly into PO round
6 CL Losers from Champions Q3
2 from Main path as explained above
5 winners from the 10 CL losers from Champions Q2
= 20 teams for remaining 10 spots.

Correct???

OK, am I right in thinking that whoever finishes 3rd/wins the cup, will get pumped up a level in Europa League qualifying because there is no Conference League title holder in 2021/22.

So Turkey 3/cw go directly into groups. Denmark and Scotland go into PO and there are only 4 teams in the Main Path Q3 (Czech and 3x CL losers) for 2 spots in the PO round.

So Playoff Round Direct entrants are

Assoc 8-14 (7 teams) directly into PO round
6 CL Losers from Champions Q3
2 from Main path as explained above
5 winners from the 10 CL losers from Champions Q2
= 20 teams for remaining 10 spots.

Correct???
That is the expectation. UEFA probably won't confirm it for a while though.

CW/3rd in 2022/23 is also very close to being guaranteed the same. If Sivasspor don't win next week we won't fall below 12th.

CW/3rd in 2022/23 is also very close to being guaranteed the same. If Sivasspor don't win next week we won't fall below 12th.
I'm not sure that would be the case though. A quick bit of research shows that if Scotland's runners up were to lose in CL Q2, they would be put into Europa Q3 and have to win two ties to qualify for the Europa Gp Stage and face the prospect of no guaranteed group stage football at all. Surely Uefa wouldn't have the team finishing 3rd/Cup winners at an advantage over the team finishing 2nd?? Or is there precedent here and this has happened in the past??

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:
5 hours ago, charger29 said:

I'm not sure that would be the case though. A quick bit of research shows that if Scotland's runners up were to lose in CL Q2, they would be put into Europa Q3 and have to win two ties to qualify for the Europa Gp Stage and face the prospect of no guaranteed group stage football at all. Surely Uefa wouldn't have the team finishing 3rd/Cup winners at an advantage over the team finishing 2nd?? Or is there precedent here and this has happened in the past??

You're correct in your previous post about Aberdeen going into EL PO, it's basically all but confirmed as that's what UEFA's regulations call for with the redistribution due to the lack of ECL title holder.

I would still say 2nd place still have an advantage, as they get the chance to qualify for the CL.

Plus, if the EL winners qualify via their league placing, there will be more reshuffling which is likely to see our 2nd place go into EL PO if they lose in CL Q2, so guaranteed ECL GS.

17 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

not for UEFA it wouldnt, you could have Valencia, Newcastle Utd, Eintract Frankfurt and Fiorentina all semi finalist

To add a bit to what Ginaro said above, I asked the same question on the kassiesa forums a few months ago and Bert responded:

The current EL regulations give priority to cup winners (see Annex A):
"If the access list needs to be adjusted once all the participants are known and admitted, priority for the UEFA Europa League will be given to the domestic cup winners (in accordance with the entry stage as per the access list)."

Presumably things will stay the same in the next set of regulations too.

You're correct in your previous post about Aberdeen going into EL PO, it's basically all but confirmed as that's what UEFA's regulations call for with the redistribution due to the lack of ECL title holder.
I would still say 2nd place still have an advantage, as they get the chance to qualify for the CL.
Plus, if the EL winners qualify via their league placing, there will be more reshuffling which is likely to see our 2nd place go into EL PO if they lose in CL Q2, so guaranteed ECL GS.
I suppose so, cheers for the reply. It's something I take a bit of an interest in and I'm basically never off the kassiesa site during the season.

7 hours ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

not for UEFA it wouldnt, you could have Valencia, Newcastle Utd, Eintract Frankfurt and Fiorentina all semi finalist

I mean that sounds exciting ngl.

I'm all for it. It effectively means the Europa is like the Cup Winners' Cup and the ECL is the UEFA Cup.

1 minute ago, ArabAuslander said:

I mean that sounds exciting ngl.

I'm all for it. It effectively means the Europa is like the Cup Winners' Cup and the ECL is the UEFA Cup.

where's it going to end up being broadcast though ? You'd really need big named sides who aren't doing so well in their league, because viewing figures are all they care about, it'd be dropped like hot potato if St Johnstone played Royal Antwerp in the final

59 minutes ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

where's it going to end up being broadcast though ? You'd really need big named sides who aren't doing so well in their league, because viewing figures are all they care about, it'd be dropped like hot potato if St Johnstone played Royal Antwerp in the final

BT have bought the rights in the UK.

The 2nd placed team get to compete in the Champions League, that's their advantage right there.