Uefa plans third European club competition from 2021

NorthernLights

21 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Until an official name is determined I am going to refer to this as the UEFA vase.  If I understand correctly UEFA is going to "help" smaller nations by taking them out of the Europa League and putting them in the UEFA Vase, where they will play other smaller teams like themselves plus a couple of Everton-esque teams from bigger leagues where the Europa League will mostly be leftovers of the big leagues.  Not really convinced this is better

Osg_-I3BrqdWOoFX8GrRB_GWI6U=.gif

Seemingly it's being sold as positive because more champions will reach groupstages + 16 more teams overall will play in groupstages = greater variety.

Sadly for us we've only had 1 champion in 8yrs and 2 in 34yrs.

EDIT: Outline of new formats:

Champions League
Title-holder
EL title-holder
4x England
4x Spain
4x Italy
4x Germany
2x France
2x Russia
1x Portugal
1x Belgium
1x Ukraine
1x Turkey
plus 4 from "Champions Pathway"
plus 2 from "Non-Champions Pathway"

Europa League
EL2 title-holder
10x CL drop-outs
2x England
2x Spain
2x Italy
2x Germany
2x France
1x Russia
plus 10 from qualifiers (entered by 9 teams from nations 7-15 and 10 CL drop-outs)
     - there are 2 qualifying rounds (i.e. no QR1 or QR2), with 13 CL teams dropping into QR3 and 6 into QR4
     - there is a separate "Champions Path" in QR3 only: all are mixed in QR4

Europa League 2
10x EL drop-outs
plus 5 from "Champions Pathway" CL & EL drop-outs
     - there are 3 qualifying rounds (i.e. no QR1), with 20 CL teams dropping into QR2 and 5 into QR4
plus 17 from qualifiers (entered by 1 team from nations 1-5, 2 from nations 6-15, and 3 from nations 16 down)
     - there are 4 qualifying rounds, with 3 EL teams dropping into QR4

Edited by HibeeJibee

Looks to me like a slow evolution into a fluid league system, with teams at this point only being able to be relegated down the way. Fully expect that eventually, most top league sides in Europe will be in there somewhere and there will be leagues allowing sides to move up and down a bit more fluidly.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Looks to me like a slow evolution into a fluid league system, with teams at this point only being able to be relegated down the way. Fully expect that eventually, most top league sides in Europe will be in there somewhere and there will be leagues allowing sides to move up and down a bit more fluidly.

That's usually the way relegation works...

The Europa League should have been kept as the bottom tier competition.  It's the trophy that the biggest clubs are embarrassed to lift. 

I wouldn't have minded this carve up so much had they just scrapped allowing group losers to drop down to the next tier. Qualifiers fine, but if you lose a group stage then it should be 'thanks for playing now f**k off' till next year. 

Whichever name is given to the new tournament - "Europa League 2" / "Challenge League" / "UEFA Shield" or whatever - it is sadly going to be regarded as even less of a worthwhile exercise, for the big clubs, as is reflected in the late afternoon kickoffs on Thursdays; yet there will be a good spread of them in it due to the biggest leagues each having 1 or 2 slots, plus drop-outs from EL.

Admittedly the new system of group winners progressing directly to Last 16 of EL (and EL2) gives an incentive to win groups. However the fact that runners-up in EL (and EL2) have to playoff with 3rd places from CL (and EL) means even more squeezing out of clubs from their own tournament.

You could potentially find half of Last 16 in EL (and EL2) just parachuted in from CL (and EL).

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Whichever name is given to the new tournament - "Europa League 2" / "Challenge League" / "UEFA Shield" or whatever - it is sadly going to be regarded as even less of a worthwhile exercise, for the big clubs, as is reflected in the late afternoon kickoffs on Thursdays; yet there will be a good spread of them in it due to the biggest leagues each having 1 or 2 slots, plus drop-outs from EL.

Admittedly the new system of group winners progressing directly to Last 16 of EL (and EL2) gives an incentive to win groups. However the fact that runners-up in EL (and EL2) have to playoff with 3rd places from CL (and EL) means even more squeezing out of clubs from their own tournament.

You could potentially find half of Last 16 in EL (and EL2) just parachuted in from CL (and EL).

Hope this will not dilute the standard of entries in next seasons Challenge Cup. In Doncaster we trust :whistle

Edited by peternapper

On 03/12/2018 at 11:09, honestly united said:

So basically the champions on the smaller countries (11th down) and the 2nd & 3rd teams from 5th down to 15th enter the Champions league qualifiers, if they get knocked out of that, they go into the Europa League either group stage or qualifiers depending on the round they are knocked out, or if its first round they go into the Europa Vase thing. And some of the teams could lose again in Europa laegue and end up in the group stage of the Vase!

Clubs will be able to meet each other 4 times in a season. You could beat someone 7 times, lose 1, and be eliminated from Europe by them.

On 03/12/2018 at 16:25, Marten said:

It's especially a farce that it's another tournament with a group stage. If there is going to be a 3rd tournament, then make a full knock-out tournament with all teams missing out on EL / CL with the carrot of a CL spot at the end. That would at least generate a decent amount of interest in "diddy countries".

I'd love a one-leg, played to a finish, all-in from round 1, no seeding competition. It'd be bags of fun.

But a two-legged knock-out competition takes 4 matches to eliminate two teams; group takes 12 matches to eliminate two teams. And that's where the money is.

• 9 months later...

So we have a name.

The UEFA Europa Conference League.....

Sounds like it'll be split regionally to avoid long travel distances. Not sure how you can do that and maintain balance across groups given the strength of Western Europe. Italian and German teams could be put in the eastern european region I guess.

So we have a name.

The UEFA Europa Conference League.....

Sounds like it'll be split regionally to avoid long travel distances. Not sure how you can do that and maintain balance across groups given the strength of Western Europe. Italian and German teams could be put in the eastern european region I guess.
Would it not be North/South akin to what they do in the early rounds of the qualifiers?

Would it not be North/South akin to what they do in the early rounds of the qualifiers?
I had no idea they did that. I can't see any specific mention of it on wiki or UEFA's own articles.

What's the rough groupings like? Would Scotland be in the same grouping as Russia then?