Uefa plans third European club competition from 2021

NorthernLights

Until an official name is determined I am going to refer to this as the UEFA vase.  If I understand correctly UEFA is going to "help" smaller nations by taking them out of the Europa League and putting them in the UEFA Vase, where they will play other smaller teams like themselves plus a couple of Everton-esque teams from bigger leagues where the Europa League will mostly be leftovers of the big leagues.  Not really convinced this is better

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Until an official name is determined I am going to refer to this as the UEFA vase.  If I understand correctly UEFA is going to "help" smaller nations by taking them out of the Europa League and putting them in the UEFA Vase, where they will play other smaller teams like themselves plus a couple of Everton-esque teams from bigger leagues where the Europa League will mostly be leftovers of the big leagues.  Not really convinced this is better

UEFA Saucer?

UEFA have totally shat it again. They don't want wee teams even playing in the same tournament as the teams from big countries any more. Since English teams don't ever seem to take the Europa League seriously, it seems a bit off. And having the drop down from a bigger competition still as part of the plan even if a wee team got through to the knock out round, they'd likely face a team from a major nation. They'll either batter them senseless or won't give a shit and play a bunch of kids. Either way, it's hardly going to get TV companies shelling out, so will the smaller clubs benefit at all?

It's only a matter of time before UEFA takes access to CL/EL fully away for smaller countries and then they can use the UEFA Diddy League between each other to maybe fight for a handful CL/EL spots for the next season...

So basically the champions on the smaller countries (11th down) and the 2nd & 3rd teams from 5th down to 15th enter the Champions league qualifiers, if they get knocked out of that, they go into the Europa League either group stage or qualifiers depending on the round they are knocked out, or if its first round they go into the Europa Vase thing. And some of the teams could lose again in Europa laegue and end up in the group stage of the Vase!

Aye it appears that teams that finish 2nd or 3rd outwith the big 4 will get three bites at the cherry. Our team that wins the Cup or finishes 2nd will have to play three qualifiers to get to the uel2 group stage (we have to play three at the moment anyway) whereas the team that finishes 7th in England will only have to play one. Utter utter nonsense.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Aye it appears that teams that finish 2nd or 3rd outwith the big 4 will get three bites at the cherry. Our team that wins the Cup or finishes 2nd will have to play three qualifiers to get to the uel2 group stage (we have to play three at the moment anyway) whereas the team that finishes 7th in England will only have to play one. Utter utter nonsense.

Very much business as usual.

Peter Lawell said this would be a boon for Scottish sides, didn't he?

In reality all that is happening is our sides are getting dumped out of EL into this new "Super Intertoto". They still have to go through 2 or 3 qualifying rounds. These qualifiers have only 17 out of 32 places in the groupstage... 15 go to drop-outs from the higher competitions!... and there are 15 entrants from the "top 10" plus 3 drop-outs in the qualifiers, so in practice no-one might make it through.

Even if you reach the groupstage, you have to win your group to actually reach knockouts... runners-up must play-off with Europa League 3rd-place finishers?

I appreciate the qualifiers will be stripped of the strongest teams from the biggest countries, but it'll still be a big ask to progress to the group.

Having been sold in advance as an enhancement to smaller nations and a chance for extra places - which seems to have been dropped entirely? - it has just become another aid to the big boys.

Games to be played on Thursdays with 3.30pm kick off.

Draw a team from Kazakstan/Armenia or the likes incur the costs of travelling and then play your return leg in front of two men and their dog.

What a great money making idea that really is.

European football is a closed shop and a waste of time nowadays

At the risk of being accussed of living in the past, I long for the days when the names were chucked in the hat and drawn out without any of this seeding nonsense 

5 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Draw a team from Kazakstan/Armenia or the likes incur the costs of travelling and then play your return leg in front of two men and their dog.

At the risk of being accussed of living in the past, I long for the days when the names were chucked in the hat and drawn out without any of this seeding nonsense 

Games in the UK aren't even played currently at 17:55 in the Europa League, I highly the UEL2 games would be played at 15:30.

Edited by Ginaro

It's especially a farce that it's another tournament with a group stage. If there is going to be a 3rd tournament, then make a full knock-out tournament with all teams missing out on EL / CL with the carrot of a CL spot at the end. That would at least generate a decent amount of interest in "diddy countries".

• The new competition matches will be played on Thursdays. As such, the UEFA Champions League continues to be played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the UEFA Europa League and the new competition will be played on Thursday with one additional kick-off time slot for a limited number of matches in principle at 16.30 (CET) to be further defined.

Based on that it's selected games that will be at 3.30pm and I doubt any of them will involve Scottish teams at home. 

1 hour ago, Sheep62 said:

seeding is great for sporting integrity and is great value for the punter, but only IF it's done fairly and for sporting reasons and not for money .  the byzantine rules in eufas coefficient system are only there to keep the money amongst the big clubs and make sure that if said big clubs have a howler one season then they don't suffer in net years draw