Uefa plans third European club competition from 2021

NorthernLights

Uefa plans to introduce a third European club competition alongside the Champions League and Europa League from 2021.

Uefa head of competitions Andrea Agnelli said "the green light has been given", pending approval.

He did not give any more details on how the tournament would be organised or when it would be staged.

Agnelli, who is also chairman of Italian champions Juventus, said: "The current model needs modernising."

Speaking at the annual general assembly of the European Club Association in Croatia, he added: "A detailed assessment of the existing international match calendar is required prior to presenting a new model post-2024."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45483586

I wouln't be surprised if they will use that cup to dump the "diddy countries" in, so they can keep them out of the main tournaments. With them making it harder and harder for smaller sides to actually qualify that's bound to happen one day...

Presumably this will be a tournament for the smaller nations. Can't imagine the likes of Everton and Valencia will be too keen to play in it.

If they scrapped 3rd placed Champions League sides dropping into Europa, and don't let Europa 3rd placed sides drop into this tournament then it might be a good idea. The tournaments should retain their own prestige at their own level within the game. 

I can see UEFA eventually adopting the AFC's old model where the Champions League is for the top x nations, Europa for next x of nations then the third tier for the San Marinos and Maltas of the world (AFC did away with their third tier comp in 2014 and expanded the AFC Champions League and AFC cup)

5 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I can see UEFA eventually adopting the AFC's old model where the Champions League is for the top x nations, Europa for next x of nations then the third tier for the San Marinos and Maltas of the world (AFC did away with their third tier comp in 2014 and expanded the AFC Champions League and AFC cup)

I thought of European club rugby where the 6 nations have the top trophy locked down. Second is a mix of top & the rest and 3rd for the just the rest.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

I wouln't be surprised if they will use that cup to dump the "diddy countries" in, so they can keep them out of the main tournaments. With them making it harder and harder for smaller sides to actually qualify that's bound to happen one day...

Yeah, seems like a ploy to further close the Champions League door on clubs. 

It's probably another "elite" tournament which will involve the 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th placed teams from England, Germany, Spain & Italy, or even more realistic the top 4 from the English Championship as it's apparently the "3rd best league in the world" according to our friends at Sky Sports.....................

Theoretically having 3 competitions of 32 teams (as opposed to a 32 and a 48) could make sense as long as UEFA didn't corrupt it to further benefit the larger/wealthier leagues, however UEFA being UEFA I can't see that happening so everyone will have to look forward to the first final of the UEFA 3rd team competition between Everton and Real Sociedad

Edited by senorsoupe

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

That might work if there was promotion between the levels to supplement qualifying teams from domestic leagues.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That might work if there was promotion between the levels to supplement qualifying teams from domestic leagues.

I can see that.

28 spots for the big leagues and 4 spots for getting to the semis of the second teir competition from the previous season. Basically for leagues like ours Champions League qualifying would be dead.

15 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

The idea stinks. Another money maker for UEFA. Only way I’d like it is if it was bringing back the ECWC.

If only.

Maybe the teams that drop off out the Europa League qualifiers and come 3rd in the groups, will drop into this.  An extra safety net if teams do as AFC tend to do in the qualifiers, and give things a decent go, but end up losing out.

how about we have the chamions compete in the European champions cup.

then a cup for the winners of the domestic knock out cup and they could call it the , cup winners cup.

finally a competition for the clubs top 4 or 5 in thier league and could call it the UEFA cup.

would it catch on?

13 hours ago, Willie adie said:

how about we have the chamions compete in the European champions cup.

then a cup for the winners of the domestic knock out cup and they could call it the , cup winners cup.

finally a competition for the clubs top 4 or 5 in thier league and could call it the UEFA cup.

would it catch on?

Enough of this crazy talk.

I have a feeling this 3rd competition will sit between the Champions league and the Europa league and will be for the Champions who don't make the Champions league and the runners up from the mid range leagues.

This would open up the qualifying a little for those in the Europa league but if this also runs with 32 teams and had direct places for the top league could see very little change for the likes of Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs (Just taking this seasons qualifiers as an example) as there may only be 16 places up for qualifiers.

Using this season Celtic would start in the Champions league, then when eliminated drop into this new competition. using the current qualifying format for the Champions league there were 10 teams in the Non Champions route so 8 of those would drop into this new competition along with those eliminated in the champions route from round 2.  (This year that would give another 20 teams).  Add in say the previous seasons winner of this competition or runner up and the winner of theEuropa league and there you have your 32 teams,