Scotland v Albania

velo army

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we were really good last night a few missed opportunities aside. Got the fear when I saw the lineup and was proved wrong on multiple counts. Forwards were excellent.

Great to seel our two best players incorporated well. My only concern is I don't think we're ready to play 3-5-2 against better opposition. Too exposed when we lose the ball.

Anyway, as for the game itself, I will freely admit to being as sceptical of McLeish as the next man, but I have to give him some credit for picking an attacking team and actually treating a winnable game against average opposition as a winnable game against average opposition. I can't remember the last time I saw us playing such an attacking line-up, full of nippy wee players trying to knock the ball around. Hopefully this signals the end of 1 up front against anyone from Nations League B-D, either in this tournament or in qualifying.

My overall takeaway from this weekend is that we seem set to spend the next couple of years struggling to qualify whilst playing wildly erratic basketball, which sounds mildly preferable to the previous approach of the past 20 years of struggling to qualify whilst being dour percentage-playing shitebags.

1 minute ago, The Algebraist said:

Thought we were really good last night a few missed opportunities aside. Got the fear when I saw the lineup and was proved wrong on multiple counts.

Great to seel our two best players incorporated well. My only concern is I don't think we're ready to play 3-5-2 against better opposition. Too exposed when we lose the ball.

You'd hope McLeish would change the formation and tactics depending on who the opposition is.  Although I don't hold out much hope on that.

29 minutes ago, Meadow_Jock said:

I can't honestly believe the number of people who seem to have watched that last night and who's first thought afterwards was to slag off Stephen McGinn. 

Especially seeing as his brother was playing.

The more I think about last night, the happier I am.

Meaningful, competitive football, properly dominating a team that are about the same level as us, good performances all round with a couple of excellent ones, positive changes from the bench and so on.

I was worried when I saw the line-up but happy with how it went.

Also quite clever of McLeish to sneak on McTominay for 10 minutes at the end there. Playing in a proper game means he's now tied to Scotland.

I say this because England have become a bit more assertive in trying to secure players who are dual qualified. e.g. Declan Rice, Jack Grealish.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Especially seeing as his brother was playing.

Ach, I guess that's what I get for posting whilst still half asleep. Anyway, what I of course meant to say was I can't believe that people came away from that and their first reaction was the need to slag of Stephen McGinn's brother. :whistle

Thought we played well enough last night and the result was deserved, but we missed too many good chances and had to rely on some horrendous finishing at the other end to prevent them from getting back into it at times. All in though, we need to be positive. Yes, it probably is the easiest fixture we will have in the group but 3 points is 3 points.

10 hours ago, chazas_ said:

I really like this Scotland team to be honest. Lots of young(ish) guys who really deserve the chance they’ve been given. Armstrong and McGregor are really good to watch - McGregor’s knack of positioning himself in space in and around the box is really impressive. McGinn has that drive and tenaciousness that every fan loves to get behind, Tierney is an outstanding young talent, Robertson is an outstanding left back. And I like the way McLeish set them up. Only thing I’d change would be Griffiths over Naismith, but can’t really complain after he scored two goals. Overall not as doom & gloom as some would have you believe.

Pretty much this. 

McLeish asked to be judged on the competitive games and last night he delivered. It's going to take more than one win for it to really click, but the signs are there. I'm feeling positive for now.  

Thought Scotland stepped up yesterday. A job had to be done and it got done even if it was a little ugly at times. McGinn looked excellent. Thought Souttar, Tierney and O donnell had good games as well. Lots of energy in the midfield but i would drop Mcdonald like an anchor overboard. He was slow cumbersome and the odd chance he had to make an impression he wasted.

A few points that the Sfa and gaffer need to do to get the tartan army on board

Drop the price. £25 on wet monday night. What were they expecting.

Match the stadium to the opposition and relevent mood of the supporters. Under half full NATIONAL stadium does nothing to reinforce it as the best option to keep on being the national stadium.

Pick better line up and formations. In dropping Griffith we lost dangerous free kick potential as well as his ability to get off ranged snap shots. Something i dont see in naismith or russel. In midfield we lost technical ability with mcdonald. I rather see armstrong or mctominay in there alongside mcginn.

Play people in or around their positions. Playing frasier at right back doesnt help him or the country. If we cant fit people i then they cant fit in. Trying to chuck them in unfamilar positions is bad management in my view.

Anyway well done last night looking a bit more forward to next month.

44 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Also quite clever of McLeish to sneak on McTominay for 10 minutes at the end there. Playing in a proper game means he's now tied to Scotland.

I say this because England have become a bit more assertive in trying to secure players who are dual qualified. e.g. Declan Rice, Jack Grealish.

Need to call up and play Jack Harper in the Israel game now IMO.

1 minute ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Thought Scotland stepped up yesterday. A job had to be done and it got done even if it was a little ugly at times. McGinn looked excellent. Thought Souttar, Tierney and O donnell had good games as well. Lots of energy in the midfield but i would drop Mcdonald like an anchor overboard. He was slow cumbersome and the odd chance he had to make an impression he wasted.

A few points that the Sfa and gaffer need to do to get the tartan army on board

Drop the price. £25 on wet monday night. What were they expecting.

I always think the price is a bit of a red herring.  Ultimately, football costs what it costs.  I paid £25 for my ticket last night, that's broadly the same price as a top division ticket in this country - I'm not sure what else you would really expect?

For me, the attendance is pretty much solely down to a real lack of enthusiasm in the way that this competition has been marketed to the support, both by the SFA and the BBC.  Guarantee that now we're looking likely to win the group that the attendance at the Israel game will be about double what was there last night.

1 minute ago, Estragon said:

I always think the price is a bit of a red herring.  Ultimately, football costs what it costs.  I paid £25 for my ticket last night, that's broadly the same price as a top division ticket in this country - I'm not sure what else you would really expect?

For me, the attendance is pretty much solely down to a real lack of enthusiasm in the way that this competition has been marketed to the support, both by the SFA and the BBC.  Guarantee that now we're looking likely to win the group that the attendance at the Israel game will be about double what was there last night.

Agreed, £25 is a fair price (I was £20 in the West)

I paid £26 at Pittodrie last weekend.

If we start winning regularly then £25 for a ticket won't be an issue for anyone.

Just folk looking for excuses  to moan IMO. Monday night is a bigger issue than £20-25 a ticket.

I thought we played well last night, if McGregor doesnt pull of the save and it goes 1-1, im not sure how the team would have responded, they do still seem a little jittery, but i would pass that off as new system/gelling a new team. Thought the system on the whole looked sound enough for playing games we should dominate, players looked hungry to get forward, and keep the ball, and for a bit of luck it could have been  a more comfortable scoreline.

McGinn at international level CM, for me he is still not quite there. Not for a lack of effort, but he has been caught a few times with silly errors, the dodgy pass back being one example last night, and more generally against better opposition he maybe lacks a little bit of street smarts in terms of positioning/tackling. He is energetic, but at times a bit of a headless chicken in midfield, this opens up large pockets of space that better teams will exploit.  The Nations League is probably the best training ground for him to get up the curve at this level, given we should dominate Albania and Isreal, but i would be surprised if he kept his place in CM against tougher opposition in the Euro qualifiers. Hopefully the Championship continues to help him raise his level.

Armstrong and C McGregor for me were brilliant in injecting some pace into the attack, and their ball retention released some of the pressure on the defense when we had the occasional wobble. I think it they stay fit and on form we should have no issues in this group. The boy at RB o'Donnell had a sound game ran the line well

Guest bernardblack

For the first time in years our bench had so many options on there.

Fraser, Forrest, Griffiths, McTominay etc etc

So many times I’ve watched Scotland and looked to the bench to see nothing exciting there

Archived