Scotland v Albania

velo army

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

Never international class, not in a million years

A phrase which has ceased to mean anything.  Now that tournaments are larger, relative diddies get to qualify, so "international class" becomes a tired cliche.  If we're waiting for the sort of quality that saying that suggests, you'll be waiting a long time.

FT 2-0

I have no interest in and therefore don’t watch international friendlies, so this is the first time I’ve seen us under McLeish.

Thought we were excellent. Controlled the game from start to finish. Scored 2, should have scored more. Ended up a really comfortable win.

It’s clear we have moved forward under McLeish from the dark days of the Strachan era. He seems to have instilled a real belief about the players and that’s an excellent 3 points for us tonight. I think we may actually do this Euro 2020 thing. Imagine that, Scotland in a major finals!

Albania are a side with experienced players who qualified for and did ok at the finals in Euro 2016. They’re certainly no mugs, but we dealt with them no problem. When you think about how much we’ve struggled against teams like Georgia and Lithuania in recent campaigns, this is really encouraging stuff. Almost 2 years ago we needed a last minute equaliser to snatch a point at home to them Lithuanians. Oh, how far we’ve come.

Eck is the man.

5 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

It’s a decent shout play offs todays would be Bulgaria , Greece , Scotland and Montenegro

Think the problem being in recent years is that we beat someone of low standing and we suddenly think we are world beaters , when in reality it’s someone we should be beating.

We should just work from a low base

If we got that "low base" right consistently, we'd have had two playoff appearances in the past two campaigns.  Likely would've been pumped when we got there, but still.  If we get beat in the Nations League playoffs, at least we'll have proved to ourselves that we can win these games against sides "at our level".  That's always been our problem.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Three could do it.

I'd say 4.  Win two of our three group games and I don't think (maths could correct me) we could be caught at the top.  

Then we just need to shitfest the remaining two playoff games and win on penalties.  Yass.

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

A phrase which has ceased to mean anything.  Now that tournaments are larger, relative diddies get to qualify, so "international class" becomes a tired cliche.  If we're waiting for the sort of quality that saying that suggests, you'll be waiting a long time.

He is still waiting on his VL plates aged 49 mate, he's used to it.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Been at Celtic gave him his education.

Yes, those 16 months from 16-18 he spent at Celtic made him the player he is today.

Got to say, there are some really miserable c***s on here.

For a team low on confidence after some badly selected friendlies, who have won what was a must win game (purely due to the size of the league) and this place is absolutely flooded with people who sound like Janette Krankie just felt them up at a bar.

Guest Moomintroll
Been at Celtic gave him his education.
Fair point, well made although might have done slightly better. Cant legislate for late bloomers tbf.

Archived