• Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

McGregor

Tierney Souttar Mulgrew Robertson

Forrest Armstrong McGregor Fraser

Snodgrass (withdrawn)

Griffiths

If that team isn't capable of beating Albania then we're done.

P.S. i realise McLeish will be sticking with 352

Most of the Albania side are playing at similar levels to our own, so I don't really think there's much between the sides, not to mention that they managed to qualify for the last Euros which is more than we managed.........

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

McGregor

Tierney Souttar Mulgrew Robertson

Forrest Armstrong McGregor Fraser

Snodgrass (withdrawn)

Griffiths

If that team isn't capable of beating Albania then we're done.

P.S. i realise McLeish will be sticking with 352

That midfield would be completely overrun.

I'm actually quite looking forward to this, mainly as a barometer of where we are so far under McLeish. It's surely the best chance we've had of qualifying for a tournament since...well, I can't remember a better one.

Scotland embarrassments don't even hurt anymore, so I can't say that a pumping holds much fear. Going 2-0 down to the Faroes feels like a long, long time ago.

Tonight will be interesting. I've not formed any opinions about McLeish yet – the team he went for against Belgium is not far off what I (and a lot of supporters) probably would have gone with (except McDonald) and the other friendlies have been with weakened teams.

If the Belgium game had been competitive I would have been hoping for a draw, expecting a loss. The fact we got drubbed wasn't ideal, but I actually thought there were some good signs in the first half. Aside from his blunder for the first goal (which was also Gordon's fault) McGinn looked good and it was nice to see him and Armstrong willing to take on players and drive forward rather than just pass back to defence who then hump the ball upfield. However, against such a good quality team as Belgium the chances of getting caught out are much higher than they will be against Albania, I hope.

In addition, Griffiths looked fairly sharp without getting any real service, but if we get possession further up the field and play mostly the same team (change keeper and ideally switch McDonald out), then we should create chances tonight.

Having said all that, although I expect us to have more possession and create chances, it will still come down to actually making those chances count. Could easily be a frustrating night if we don't get a goal early on. I would hope that both McGinn and Mulgrew (if playing) can use their mistakes in the last game as motivation to put in good showings tonight.

One big concern is the potential lack of atmosphere. If we had 40k plus fans (or even a full house at Easter Road), it would definitely give us more of an edge.

I don't think it's being too dramatic to call this our biggest game in over a decade, or that it's already must-win territory for the manager. 

I have some sympathy for McLeish so far in that the 4 out of 5 games he's lost have all been against better opposition in pointless games, but he's had the best part of a year now to prepare for this game and, for me, has to win this group to go into outright qualifying with any credibility. 

47 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Scotland embarrassments don't even hurt anymore

As a supporter of a lower league team, I learned years ago to take the rough with the smooth and not got too wound up by it all. I enjoy getting lost in the escapism and camaraderie of the chanting and ranting during the 90 minutes, but I try to be philosophical afterwards and I certainly don't let the odd bad result ruin my week, or even my weekend....

...Scotland games, however, consistently turn me into an absolute seething mess, and never seem to lose their capacity to make me angry and miserable. 

16 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

I don't think it's being too dramatic to call this our biggest game in over a decade, or that it's already must-win territory for the manager. 

I have some sympathy for McLeish so far in that the 4 out of 5 games he's lost have all been against better opposition in pointless games, but he's had the best part of a year now to prepare for this game and, for me, has to win this group to go into outright qualifying with any credibility. 

It absolutely is both

Massive game for us

2 minutes ago, kevthedee said:

Same 11 as Belgium think McLeish will give them another chance to prove themselves.

Hopefully ex-Dee McDonald is nowhere near the starting 11.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Most of the Albania side are playing at similar levels to our own, so I don't really think there's much between the sides, not to mention that they managed to qualify for the last Euros which is more than we managed.........

I don't disagree but the side I listed is (IMO) as good as it gets for us - for the current generation anyway. So if it's not enough to topple Albania at home then we've no chance for Euro 2020

Archived