Brechin v Rovers: Cuthbert's last stand

The formation, where the players played and the tactics were utter shite, having said that, not one Rovers player hid today and they all worked their arses off but it just didn't work out.  Funniest bit was McGeever screaming at his team "why are we 2nd to every ball?" to which one wag replied, "cause you're pish", even made McGeever smile (at this level I would have him in a Rovers shirt).

Cuthbert's no manager I'm afraid

3 Worrying injuries

Shite coffee

Shite pie

Shite result

New manager this week please, just not that we Spanish badge kisser tho

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure it's completely accurate to characterise the starting formation as a 3-5-2. I'd have said it was more of a lopsided 4-4-2.

Davidson was playing as an orthodox right back, with Nisbet in front of him. Murray had more licence to push on from left back, largely because Vaughan was drifting into a free role from the left flank.

Once Murray went off, Davidson tucked in and it became a 3-5-2, with Nisbet and Flanagan becoming wing-backs.

Personally, I'd have also brought Watson on for Buchanan and pushed Nisbet up front. Putting a natural defender on one side would've provided more stability than the two maverick half-backs.

Stacking Watson against Buchanan, my side would have less "quality" in it, but more players playing in positions natural to them.

Cuthbert, like Smith before him, seems to believe that the key to getting out of this division is getting as many of your good players on the pitch at once, rather than developing a cohesive strategy. Let's see what the next manager thinks.

The formation, where the players played and the tactics were utter shite, having said that, not one Rovers player hid today and they all worked their arses off but it just didn't work out.  Funniest bit was McGeever screaming at his team "why are we 2nd to every ball?" to which one wag replied, "cause you're pish", even made McGeever smile (at this level I would have him in a Rovers shirt).
Cuthbert's no manager I'm afraid
3 Worrying injuries
Shite coffee
Shite pie
Shite result
New manager this week please, just not that we Spanish badge kisser tho
That's unfair...the pied were ok.

As for the match that was honestly awful. First 45 was as bad as we've played in the last 18 months and I don't think we had a shot on target until Vaughan's free kick on about 50 mins. Dodgy pen got us in front but it's not a good sign conceding a headed goal to a guy who looked about 5ft5.

Playing Nisbet as right wing back was an awful decision and one that proves Cuthbert really can't be given the job full time. I think we do have players to play 3 at the back but I'd have Bene, Murray and McKay. Also we kept getting the ball out the either Wedderburn or Davidson who insisted on trying 60 yard Beckham passes to absolutely no one. You could also hear players up top in the 2nd half moaning about distribution. Heard Nisbet and Buchanan constantly getting annoyed at what they were having to deal with.

I'll take a point today only cause Brechin could easily have had all 3. What I hope comes out of today is the board maybe decide to appoint a manager before next week. Ridiculous Smith left almost 2 weeks ago and we don't even have a shortlist.

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Cuthbert, like Smith before him, seems to believe that the key to getting out of this division is getting as many of your good players on the pitch at once, rather than developing a cohesive strategy. Let's see what the next manager thinks.

His interview on the website covers off a lot about his expectations (whether it's bluster to impress the board is arguable too though), but he really shot himself in the foot by trying to "protect" McKay and Watson and putting in Davidson and Benedictus. If any Rovers fans didn't know about him before today, they'll now be able to tell you that he can absolutely clear up headers all day long.  Duggan isn't a target man, but it didn't stop the two of them trying to hoof it to him throughout all the first half. Vaughan and Buchanan did the best with what they got, but often it was isolated, despite having 4 players going forwards at times. In the second half, we looked far more influential, especially as Gillespie started having a good game. 

It's easy to speculate, especially given that Brechin have the experience of Jackson with raw talents like Henry and Melengui, but I'd have hoped if we'd kept Wedderburn at the back, with McKay, and played Matthews in the middle as we did against Forfar, then we might not have spent so much time trying to fend from scraps for half the game. 

It should be interesting to see if we make an appointment in the coming week. As lovely as it was for Novo to show up for the game, I'd far rather we look at someone with at least a bit of coaching experience if not having a management job on their CV already. 

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

From the start of the game the Brechin 15 gave Buchanan yards of space, this is where we should have exploited their defence and ploughed on, alas, we didn't.

Was that you who shouted it ?

3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Still no idea why that penalty was given .  

Perhaps for sandwiching Duggan? Twas of the soft variety that for sure though.

Referee was a complete ersehole for the entire 90, someone should point out to him that good ref's are the one who go unnoticed in games not ones who want to be the centre of attention like that eejit did.

5 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Perhaps for sandwiching Duggan? Twas of the soft variety that for sure though.

Referee was a complete ersehole for the entire 90, someone should point out to him that good ref's are the one who go unnoticed in games not ones who want to be the centre of attention like that eejit did.

Seemingly Duggan said after the game that he was as surprised as anyone that a penalty had been awarded. 

Perhaps the ref realised that was the only way Rovers were going to score and took pity on the big team. 

25 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Seemingly Duggan said after the game that he was as surprised as anyone that a penalty had been awarded. 

Perhaps the ref realised that was the only way Rovers were going to score and took pity on the big team. 

I hope so, because it looks like we'll need all the help we can get this season.

Given how we let so many points slip last season in away matches, going 3-5-2 (if that was what it was supposed to be) shows a bit of nous from Cuthbert to give us a good chance of winning the midfield battle.

But to pick the players he did to fit into that system was barmy. Going with the out-of-sorts Bene and putting Davo straight back in smacks of the old pals' act having played with them both.

Archived