Brechin v Rovers: Cuthbert's last stand

After Saturday's debacle I'm not overly confident about this. 

I would be tempted to revert back to our back four from the Forfar game and it will be interesting to see if Cuthbert brings Davidson straight back in, as Smith surely would've.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got fed up with the board after they didn't give him money for a new signing for the umpteenth time.

It's a managerial cliche to say there's no easy games, but we've never done that well up at Brechin (though both times I've seen us play there we've won) and they're going to see this as a good opportunity to take points after their comebacks against Dumbarton and Arbroath.

I'd be surprised if we have our new manager in for this one. Going by the ridiculousness of the last few weeks, we'll probably end up with Smith back and getting his signing.

Got fed up with the board after they didn't give him money for a new signing for the umpteenth time.

It's a managerial cliche to say there's no easy games, but we've never done that well up at Brechin (though both times I've seen us play there we've won) and they're going to see this as a good opportunity to take points after their comebacks against Dumbarton and Arbroath.

I'd be surprised if we have our new manager in for this one. Going by the ridiculousness of the last few weeks, we'll probably end up with Smith back and getting his signing.

I thought Brechin at home would be one of our easier games after the way Brechin fans bleated on but they’re actually pretty decent.

Hendry looks a player and him and Jackson a good partnership. Tapping is a quality player. Doogie Hill and McGeever solid centre half partnership.

Teams picks itself, for me.

Wright
Watson McKay Wedderburn Murray
Vaughan Matthews Gillespie Flanagan
Nisbet Duggan

Bench: Thomson, Benedictus, Valentine, Berry, Stevenson, Milne, Buchanan

Looking after the bus: Davidson

The silly part of me is thinking about travelling to this. A 7 hour round trip leaving from Maryhill...

It looks pretty straight forward according to google maps: a combination of a return train from Queen Street to Montrose and a return bus from Montrose to Brechin. A few queries which I would  really appreciate some advice from  anyone ITK as google maps are not always spot on...

1) is the bus reliable from Montrose to Brechin ? (My plan is to get the 9:41 from QS, arriving at Mo at 11:38. apparently the bus stop is a short walk(?) and a bus at 11:54 gets to the coop at Brechin at 12:20).  

2) On the return leg, the bus is roughly 5:45 from the big garage. We would likely be going for a beer post game and then looking for an off licence for the longgggg journey home. Is there somewhere easy to find that is a classic off licence'y place with refrigerated beers/cans of the pre-mixed spirits/buckfast (!) etc?

3) Is Hudson's still the away fan pub of choice? Anywhere else we should sample before or after the game? (looking for any suggestions from 'old man classic', 'popular with football fans', or any  'pool table and juke box'). 

Again, would be very grateful for any knowledge, cheers!

8 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

The silly part of me is thinking about travelling to this. A 7 hour round trip leaving from Maryhill...

It looks pretty straight forward according to google maps: a combination of a return train from Queen Street to Montrose and a return bus from Montrose to Brechin. A few queries which I would  really appreciate some advice from  anyone ITK as google maps are not always spot on...

1) is the bus reliable from Montrose to Brechin ? (My plan is to get the 9:41 from QS, arriving at Mo at 11:38. apparently the bus stop is a short walk(?) and a bus at 11:54 gets to the coop at Brechin at 12:20).  

2) On the return leg, the bus is roughly 5:45 from the big garage. We would likely be going for a beer post game and then looking for an off licence for the longgggg journey home. Is there somewhere easy to find that is a classic off licence'y place with refrigerated beers/cans of the pre-mixed spirits/buckfast (!) etc?

3) Is Hudson's still the away fan pub of choice? Anywhere else we should sample before or after the game? (looking for any suggestions from 'old man classic', 'popular with football fans', or any  'pool table and juke box'). 

Bus is a really quick walk from Montrose Station from memory. 

There's a Co Op type place just down the road from ground I think. 

Having just done the bus/train combo at the weekend only to walk out at half time a seething mess I can only wish you good luck. 

18 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Bus is a really quick walk from Montrose Station from memory. 

There's a Co Op type place just down the road from ground I think. 

Having just done the bus/train combo at the weekend only to walk out at half time a seething mess I can only wish you good luck. 

Cheers mate!

Ha - indeed! For the return journey  to be anything other than horrific a good result is required!

On 11/09/2018 at 22:30, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

1) Bus is pretty reliable and leaves across from the Bank of Scotland on Montrose High St.    3 min walk:  Walk out the train station, hang right around the roundabout and then (for a shortcut) go up the wee steps and narrow lane/close that leads straight to the High St.  Go left along the High St.

For the bus back to Montrose, the bus-train connection times can be very tight depending which one you get.  If you find youself hanging around Montrose waiting for the train for whatever reason, I very strongly recommend the Market Arms.  Traditional pub, great drink selection, sport on loads of TVs and 3mins from the station.  Missing a train and having to wait for the next one there is no disaster.

2) Can't help you there, sorry!

3) Hudsons was the place of choice, although the 'City Club' beneath our Trinity Road stand is probably the best shout now (not the largest of bars, but good for home & away fans).  Would recommend.  As for elsewhere, I quite like the Dalhousie Bar which is a more traditional pub than Hudsons and 2 mins walk around the corner from it.  Personally, I'd go to the Dalhousie for a couple and then head up to the ground / City Club.  Hudsons in en-route so you can play it by ear.

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

1) Bus is pretty reliable and leaves across from the Bank of Scotland on Montrose High St.    3 min walk:  Walk out the train station, hang right around the roundabout and then (for a shortcut) go up the wee steps and narrow lane/close that leads straight to the High St.  Go left along the High St.

For the bus back to Montrose, the bus-train connection times can be very tight depending which one you get.  If you find youself hanging around Montrose waiting for the train for whatever reason, I very strongly recommend the Market Arms.  Traditional pub, great drink selection, sport on loads of TVs and 3mins from the station.  Missing a train and having to wait for the next one there is no disaster.

2) Can't help you there, sorry!

3) Hudsons was the place of choice, although the 'City Club' beneath our Trinity Road stand is probably the best shout now (not the largest of bars, but good for home & away fans).  Would recommend.  As for elsewhere, I quite like the Dalhousie Bar which is a more traditional pub than Hudsons and 2 mins walk around the corner from it.  Personally, I'd go to the Dalhousie for a couple and then head up to the ground / City Club.  Hudsons in en-route so you can play it by ear.

That is absolutely brilliant mate, cheers.

Will definitely give the City Club a go for a couple too - if you see a big streak of pish with glasses, give me a shout and you'll get a drink on me :thumsup2

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

I see what you did there.

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Yep. Hudson's is not the cheapest either. Unless you can only drink Kronenberg I'd recommend turning R there and walking 50 yards to the Dalhousie or 100 to the Brechin Arms to get yourselves settled, then hie on up to the City Club  for one before kick off, unless there's literally hundreds of you. You'll be very welcome - both teams fans mingle in there and £ spent go into the club. Live PL on in there after 5 as well should you be hanging around for transport. See you in there, enjoy the soup, and hope you have a great day apart from the result of course.  Andy Jackson looks like he's getting back to near his best...

14 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

Yep. Hudson's is not the cheapest either. Unless you can only drink Kronenberg I'd recommend turning R there and walking 50 yards to the Dalhousie or 100 to the Brechin Arms to get yourselves settled, then hie on up to the City Club  for one before kick off, unless there's literally hundreds of you. You'll be very welcome - both teams fans mingle in there and £ spent go into the club. Live PL on in there after 5 as well should you be hanging around for transport. See you in there, enjoy the soup, and hope you have a great day apart from the result of course.  Andy Jackson looks like he's getting back to near his best...

Amazing mate, cheers! Enjoy your day too (with the same caveat!).

Buzzing for the trip now! C'mon Rovers, fucking win!

Yeah, last minute decision to go, too. Will check out the Dalhousie pre-match. Brechin seem to have turned a corner a wee bit and keeping Jackson quiet will be key to us getting a result. We won’t do it, but I’d get Wedderburn into CB in place of Bene based on current form. Let’s us keep Matthews in the middle of the park rather than shunning him out wide. Hopefully Vaughan is fit enough to start.

Yeah, last minute decision to go, too. Will check out the Dalhousie pre-match. Brechin seem to have turned a corner a wee bit and keeping Jackson quiet will be key to us getting a result. We won’t do it, but I’d get Wedderburn into CB in place of Bene based on current form. Let’s us keep Matthews in the middle of the park rather than shunning him out wide. Hopefully Vaughan is fit enough to start.

Vaughan started last week’s game in Dingwall, did he pick up a knock?

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Heading up for this, been to the Dalhousie a few times on trips to Brechin in the past. Really nice auld style boozer.

Archived