Arbroath vs Forfar Athletic

Well, it now looks like our captain Mark Whatley is now taking a bit flak. I agree with Simon that because he doesn’t have the flair of bobby or is as dynamic as a McKenna he tends to get a bit stick.

The guy is a 7/10 most weeks and is leading the team out week in week out and I think he’s vital to the way we play, who replaces him also? There’s no way McCord and Swankie work as a two so you’re looking at Gold or Graham going in there, I’d have Whatley ahead of them every day of the week.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it now looks like our captain Mark Whatley is now taking a bit flak. I agree with Simon that because he doesn’t have the flair of bobby or is as dynamic as a McKenna he tends to get a bit stick.
The guy is a 7/10 most weeks and is leading the team out week in week out and I think he’s vital to the way we play, who replaces him also? There’s no way McCord and Swankie work as a two so you’re looking at Gold or Graham going in there, I’d have Whatley ahead of them every day of the week.

Don’t think Whatley has been great, he’s been ok but he gets caught out an awful lot, commits and doesn’t win the ball, East Fife and Brechin were pretty bad especially in the second half.

The amount of times Tapping just took the ball, turned and drove at our defence second half was scary and in the EF game it happened for about half an hour solid. Which made Hammy and Thomson looked bad too because they had to squeeze in leaving loads of space out wide. Obviously Swankie is in there too but as you have said yourself he’s not in there for that reason.

Whatley needs to be a bit more disciplined in my opinion anyway, someone in there has too because as soon as we lose the ball the gap between midfield and defence is huge.

I still really like him as a player. Puts a load of work in for the team.

Archived