Let's Talk Atlantic League

On 07/01/2021 at 17:52, Andy groundhopper said:

Possible answer, let the OF go to the Atlantic Lge but then allow their colts into spfl2 and see how many fans turn up. Only an idea, trying to release their stranglehold on the Scottish game a little 

Horrendous. Absolutely horrendous.

Edited by DA Baracus

I would not discard the domestic league for the Atlantic League. There would be too many games played  far away from home, plus small clubs would suffer  even more than now. An option would be to keep the national League and then play an Atlantic Cup (or call it a different way). A shorter domestic League with 22 or 26 games and then the top 4 teams play another tournament with the best clubs from a few other countries with similar coefficient (Ukraine, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic) divided into four groups of six. It would still be another European tournament, but with full immersion at the end of each season, with teams of a similar level.  This or leave it as it is.

30 minutes ago, Classick said:

I would not discard the domestic league for the Atlantic League. There would be too many games played  far away from home, plus small clubs would suffer  even more than now.

But the decision to "discard the domestic league" would not be made by the league, or by you or me, but by Sevco and Celtic. They have no record of caring about small clubs suffering.

On 14/12/2020 at 12:34, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

EVEN MORE RADCIAL IDEA

How about two or three teams invited into the league from the USA, and Canada?

There was a Canadian side in the European Rugby League set up. So how about three teams from the East Coast of North American. Maybe one team from Canada and two from the USA. How about a team from New York, or New Jersey? It would help soccer develop in the USA.

Yeah, not a great example to use really, Toronto Wolfpack RIP

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

To be fair any northern hemisphere attempt to sell rugby league more than 20 miles from the M62 is pretty much doomed

Catalans Dragons and Toulouse Olympique seem to be doing OK, though I'm not sure how Brexit will effect them. Toronto attracted fans, they were getting great numbers for what was pretty much a new sport for a lot of people but the rumors were that the owners were struggling to pay the players even before Covid hit, not a big surprise considering they were paying Super League wages while accommodating the team in Toronto (and away teams too) and Manchester, as well as flying home and away teams back and forth to Canada. 

• 2 weeks later...

Atlantic League Cup.

I think we need an extra cross border trophy for Scottish club sides,

UEFA and FIFA have said they do not support a European Super League. So it looks like it would be tough to set up a Atlantic League, as that would count as a European Surer League,

But surely one option is to have an Atlantic League Cup.

So we get the best of both worlds where we keep our own domestic leagues, plus participation in the UEFA trophies such as the Champions League, the Europa League and the new European Conference League. But we add to that a Scottish inspired extra European trophy,  

UEFA have allowed the Scottish to allow Welsh, Irish and English sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

UEFA allowed the Scandinavians to do the Royal League which involved cross border football.

So UEFA do not seem to have a problem with extra cross border competitive trophies on top of domestic and European football. They want the domestic leagues to remain but do not have a problem with extra trophies, on top of the present system.

Participating Nations.

I think as long as Scotland takes part, and there are more than 3 or four nations entering teams into the trophy then that would be fine.

Nations entering participating teams could include from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Poland, Belgium, Portugal, Russia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Ukraine, Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Hungary, the Basque region.

Maybe even teams from the USA and Canada could take part,.

To me as long as Scotland enters 4 teams, and you have a trophy with teams from countries as strong as Poland, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland. That would be an attractive trophy.

Organisation of trophy.  

A guaranteed group stage section, with at least the top four Scottish sides entering the trophy in an automatic group stage. Plus this could be followed by a knockout stage of single leg rounds.

It would probably need reorganisation of the participating national leagues, so to reduce the number of games each club plays to make way for new games.     

The name of the trophy could be the Atlantic League Cup or ideas like a European Atlantic Cup, That could be up to the branders of the trophy.

It would be great to have teams from Scandinavia. As Scandinavia is a massive TV market that gives huge finances to the TV deals to the big national leagues in Europe,

Benefits for Scottish football.

This would give Scottish sides, something big to aim for. It would be fun matches against op quality club sides. Imagine games like Aberdeen v Ajax, Legia Warsaw v Hibernian, AEK Athens v Glasgow Rangers, IFK v Heart of Midlothian, Dundee United v Basle, or Motherwell v Copenhagen,.

It would be a fun addition to the Scottish soccer system. It would give high quality teams to play against.

It could make big funds,

Plus UEFA have allowed the Scots to have English, Welsh and Irish sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

Each participating nation could enter 4 teams each.

The knockout rounds could choose by luck who is the home side, or it could be decided by who did best in the group stage,

It is an idea that could take off and give Scottish club a pathway to make more money from TV and play better sides from all over the continent.

It would be worth a chance. I think Scottish fans would love to see high quality teams from across Europe, 

16 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Nations entering participating teams could include from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Poland, Belgium, Portugal, Russia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Ukraine, Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Hungary, the Basque region.

This would give Scottish sides, something big to aim for. It would be fun matches against op quality club sides. Imagine games like Aberdeen v Ajax, Legia Warsaw v Hibernian, AEK Athens v Glasgow Rangers, IFK v Heart of Midlothian, Dundee United v Basle, or Motherwell v Copenhagen,.

It would be a fun addition to the Scottish soccer system. It would give high quality teams to play against.

Of the 30+ nations you mention, fewer than 10 are near the Atlantic.

"Glasgow" Rangers?

"Soccer" system?

I support an Atlantic League Cup, with teams from other European nations, on top of domestic and UEFA competitions. 

But here is a real crazy idea. This is not a joke idea. I know some will laugh at the idea. But take it seriously. 

Now we all know that South African sides were taking part in the Pro 14 rugby trophy involving Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Italian sides. 

SO HERE IS A BIG IDEA - 

How about a Scottish - Africa Cup in soccer?

All Scottish Premier sides with invited club teams from Africa. 

We could pay top African club sides to stay in Scotland for a month  or two where they play Scottish sides in a group stage trophy, 

Africa has great players and club sides, but is relatively poor compared to Scotland. So we could pay for great high quality club sides to come and play Scottish sides in a competitive trophy, 

Surely they would jump at the chance, because they could come to a Western developed nation to play football. The top African sides would be cheap to attract because Africa is poorer than Europe. 

We could get high quality African football clubs playing top Scottish sides so attract TV audiences from Africa, and the World. 

If South African rugby club sides can play club teams from Australia and Argentina., then why can't African soccer sides play Scottish soccer sides, using Scotland as a base? 

My idea would be the African club sides would move their players to Africa for a month or two and play Scottish club sides in a group stage trophy, 

Surely Scotland could afford to attract top teams due to our wealth.

And Africa would not have a serious jet lag issue. As we have similar time zones.  

I know the idea seems crazy at first. But if African sides can play sides from New Zealand in rugby, then why not African sides playing Scottish soccer sides? 

WHY NOT? 

It would be fin, exotic, ambitious, and mean Scottish football having an impact on big African nations, 

We would attract great teams and players to play top Scottish sides. 

Also perhaps some African national sides could be invited., The smaller African nations with less superstar players. But i would mostly be the top African club sides., 

This is not a joke Idea.  Teams travel massive distances in Russia, the USA, Brazil, India, China, Australia. So why not attract some top African clubs to play Scottish sides in a cross border cup. By the way. I am not suggesting African club sides play in the Scottish League, Scottish Cup, or Scottish League Cup. I am suggesting we create a new trophy that involves all Scottish Premier sides and invited African club sides.

I would love this to happen. 

Edited by Thistle Scotland Europe

I support an Atlantic League Cup, with teams from other European nations, on top of domestic and UEFA competitions. 
But here is a real crazy idea. This is not a joke idea. I know some will laugh at the idea. But take it seriously. 
Now we all know that South African sides were taking part in the Pro 14 rugby trophy involving Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Italian sides. 
SO HERE IS A BIG IDEA - 
How about a Scottish - Africa Cup in soccer?
All Scottish Premier sides with invited club teams from Africa. 
We could pay top African club sides to stay in Scotland for a month  or two where they play Scottish sides in a group stage trophy, 
Africa has great players and club sides, but is relatively poor compared to Scotland. So we could pay for great high quality club sides to come and play Scottish sides in a competitive trophy, 
Surely they would jump at the chance, because they could come to a Western developed nation to play football. The top African sides would be cheap to attract because Africa is poorer than Europe. 
We could get high quality African football clubs playing top Scottish sides so attract TV audiences from Africa, and the World. 
If South African rugby club sides can play club teams from Australia and Argentina., then why can't African soccer sides play Scottish soccer sides, using Scotland as a base? 
My idea would be the African club sides would move their players to Africa for a month or two and play Scottish club sides in a group stage trophy, 
Surely Scotland could afford to attract top teams due to our wealth.
And Africa would not have a serious jet lag issue. As we have similar time zones.  
I know the idea seems crazy at first. But if African sides can play sides from New Zealand in rugby, then why not African sides playing Scottish soccer sides? 
WHY NOT? 
It would be fin, exotic, ambitious, and mean Scottish football having an impact on big African nations, 
We would attract great teams and players to play top Scottish sides. 
Also perhaps some African national sides could be invited., The smaller African nations with less superstar players. But i would mostly be the top African club sides., 

This is not a joke Idea.  Teams travel massive distances in Russia, the USA, Brazil, India, China, Australia. So why not attract some top African clubs to play Scottish sides in a cross border cup. By the way. I am not suggesting African club sides play in the Scottish League, Scottish Cup, or Scottish League Cup. I am suggesting we create a new trophy that involves all Scottish Premier sides and invited African club sides.
I would love this to happen. 

Before we consider this fully

Why don’t you go and float this idea on an African football forum and in the unlikely event that they don’t tell you to piss off and call you a patronising arsehole, get back to us.

I have been reading about the most recent proposal to revamp the Champions League, and I can see it being a better option than an Atlantic league if they tweak it a little.

I'd make it a permanent pre-Christmas Champions League of 36 teams, with a separate post-Christmas Champions Cup of 16 teams.

For the permanent Champions League, split the 36 teams into 4 divisions of 9 - for the inaugural season, the top division would be composed of those 9 clubs with the highest coefficient at that time, the second division would be composed of the next 9 clubs with the next highest coefficient, and so on.

Subsequent seasons would see promotion and relegation between these teams/divisions as per a normal league - a defacto European Super League, but...

...whilst each season, 2 teams could be promoted and relegated between each of the divisions, with the bottom 2 teams relegated out of the fourth division every year...

...any Champions League/Super League team that fails to finish within the top places of their domestic league (e.g. within the top 4 places for England, Spain, etc - as per usual requirements for their European qualification) would then they drop out of the Champions League/Super League altogether for the following season, and the remaining Champions League teams would move up a place accordingly. In this way, performing well in domestic leagues remains vital to clubs who aim for European success.

Teams play one another within their division just once, either at home or away.  That gives 4 home games each against teams of a similar level, and so is fair.

For the post-Christmas Champions Cup, the top 4 teams of each of the four Champions League divisions qualify. They can be seeded, and play home and away within each tie, as usual, through to a one-off showpiece final.

Thus, each season there will be winners of a highly competitive Champions League, winners of a Champions Cup, divisional winners within the Champions League lower divisions, battles for promotion, battles for Champions Cup qualification, and battles to avoid relegation out of the Champions League altogether.

Qualification to access the lowest Champions League division would be for teams whose country didn't have their full coefficient-allocation of teams already in the Champions League, so England couldn't have a fifth club in there, Scotland couldn't have a third, etc unless their country-coefficient merited it.

But there could be many places available in that fourth division each season if, for example, Atletico and Liverpool and others failed to finish in their respective domestic top 4 "Champions League" places - i.e. they would drop out of the permanent Champions League altogether if they failed to defend their right to be there by having a poor domestic season.

I can see why bigger clubs want to play one another more often, just like the better countries did before the Nations League was conceived of, but I wouldn't like to see domestic competition diminished by a European Superduperleague.

I'm assuming that at least one of the Old Firm would manage to be near-permanent participants in a 36-team European league such as this, and so an Atlantic league wouldn't be attractive to them any longer.
Edited by SecretCEO
Clarity?

• 4 weeks later...

Regional Super League's will come to exist as smaller nations are left behind by the top four(England, Spain, Germany and Italy). And the the European Super League. Its just a matter of when Regional leagues would be formed.

Celtic League(Wales, Scotland , Rep Ireland, N. Ireland.

Benelux League (Belgium, Netherlands , Luxemburg, Austria and Switzerland

Scandinavia( Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Sweden.

Baltic League- Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania.

Will come as maybe two or three divisions each.

2 hours ago, Darren44 said:

Regional Super League's will come to exist as smaller nations are left behind by the top four(England, Spain, Germany and Italy). And the the European Super League. Its just a matter of when Regional leagues would be formed.

Celtic League(Wales, Scotland , Rep Ireland, N. Ireland.

Benelux League (Belgium, Netherlands , Luxemburg, Austria and Switzerland

Scandinavia( Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Sweden.

Baltic League- Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania.

Will come as maybe two or three divisions each.

Austria and Switzerland in a Benelux league? 🤔