Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DARREN38

Let's Talk Atlantic League

Recommended Posts

Information

The Atlantic League is a proposed Competition between Countries of Small Leagues. Which has been discussed since 2000. Now Let's  say it will happen due to the Big Five Leagues increased places in the Champions League and Revenue.

Countries  Involved.

Scotland                                                                                           Population -   5,42,800

Denmark                                                                                          Population-   5,785,884(2018 Estimation)

Norway                                                                                            Population- 5,302,778(2018 Estimation)

Sweden                                                                                            Population- 10,161,797(2018 Census)

Finland                                                                                              Population- 5,517,887(2018 Estimation)

Belgium                                                                                           Population- 11,358,357(Jan 2018 Estimation)

Netherlands                                                                                 Population-17,249,632(2018 Estimation)

Portugal                                                                                          Population - 10,291,027

                                                                                                             Total Population 28 Million people 

Format

I will Say Two Leagues of 16 teams with Domestic Leagues Beneath the Second Division.  Teams would be relegated back to there domestic league if they finished in the bottom of the second division.   Top two enter the Champions League. Let's say First place in the group stage and second placed place- Third Qualifying round. Third place Europa League a group stage place with the fourth entering the second qualifying position.

Yes nations would forfeit there own places. But in the long run to compete against the top five leagues which are surging ahead and will only get bigger. This maybe a worth whild chance to take. At least the gap will be reduced.

Games will be at the weekend allowing fans time to travel and clubs a week to rest.

Television

This new League will bring in much needed revenue compared to the current situation. Where TV revenue is minor. 

UEFA

There is this urban myth that UEFA will not allow cross border Leagues. Technical UEFA can not stop this due to European Union Competition laws. Which rule against restriction of trade. UEFA it already has been discussing a European Super League involving the Big Five Leagues.  A two Division Atlantic Leagues with links to Domestic football can proceed with nothing stopping it. The clubs involved would have to unite and remind UEFA of EU Laws that UEFA has to follow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by DARREN38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DARREN38 said:

UEFA

There is this urban myth that UEFA will not allow cross border Leagues. Technical UEFA can not stop this due to European Union Competition laws. Which rule against restriction of trade. UEFA it already has been discussing a European Super League involving the Big Five Leagues.  A two Division Atlantic Leagues with links to Domestic football can proceed with nothing stopping it. The clubs involved would have to unite and remind UEFA of EU Laws that UEFA has to follow.

Scotland will be outside of EU law in March - how does your league get round that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, drs said:

Scotland will be outside of EU law in March - how does your league get round that?

And Norway have never been in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DARREN38 said:

Information

The Atlantic League is a proposed Competition between Countries of Small Leagues. Which has been discussed since 2000. Now Let's  say it will happen due to the Big Five Leagues increased places in the Champions League and Revenue.

Countries  Involved.

Scotland                                                                                           Population -   5,42,800

Denmark                                                                                          Population-   5,785,884(2018 Estimation)

Norway                                                                                            Population- 5,302,778(2018 Estimation)

Sweden                                                                                            Population- 10,161,797(2018 Census)

Finland                                                                                              Population- 5,517,887(2018 Estimation)

Belgium                                                                                           Population- 11,358,357(Jan 2018 Estimation)

Netherlands                                                                                 Population-17,249,632(2018 Estimation)

Portugal                                                                                          Population - 10,291,027

                                                                                                             Total Population 28 Million people 

Format

I will Say Two Leagues of 16 teams with Domestic Leagues Beneath the Second Division.  Teams would be relegated back to there domestic league if they finished in the bottom of the second division.   Top two enter the Champions League. Let's say First place in the group stage and second placed place- Third Qualifying round. Third place Europa League a group stage place with the fourth entering the second qualifying position.

Yes nations would forfeit there own places. But in the long run to compete against the top five leagues which are surging ahead and will only get bigger. This maybe a worth whild chance to take. At least the gap will be reduced.

Games will be at the weekend allowing fans time to travel and clubs a week to rest.

Television

This new League will bring in much needed revenue compared to the current situation. Where TV revenue is minor. 

UEFA

There is this urban myth that UEFA will not allow cross border Leagues. Technical UEFA can not stop this due to European Union Competition laws. Which rule against restriction of trade. UEFA it already has been discussing a European Super League involving the Big Five Leagues.  A two Division Atlantic Leagues with links to Domestic football can proceed with nothing stopping it. The clubs involved would have to unite and remind UEFA of EU Laws that UEFA has to follow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not totally convinced by your population calculations, but how would this affect the domestic leagues tv revenue with the best teams in each league abandoning them to play away games in Norway etc.? Can't imagine it would do much for gate receipts for the fortunate few to join the Atlantic League either to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that if UEFA continue to pander to the big leagues then other leagues should look to combine.

I think Belgium and Netherlands could combine just on their own and create a fairly strong league.

I think more thought and  imagination needs to go into the rest. Could Portugal try and join La Liga? Benfica are a huge worldwide club and could possibly challenge Barca and Real consistantly. Porto, Sporting, Braga and Boavista instead of the likes Huesco, Girona, Leganes and Eibar could make that league bigger then the EPL.

A Scandinavian league might work for Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.

I don't know what Scotland could do though, Old Firm fans don't want change and as they are the biggest customer to the SPL why change???? I think a Celtic (not sellic) league like what happened in Rugby would be good but Cardiff and Swansea would be unlikely to want that with the money they get being yo-yo EPL sides but if you got them and a North Wales side plus 4 Ireland teams from the Provinces like the rugby has they would have big potential along with say the top 5 in the SPL could create an even 12 team league. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 10:11, DARREN38 said:

Information

The Atlantic League is a proposed Competition between Countries of Small Leagues. Which has been discussed since 2000. Now Let's  say it will happen due to the Big Five Leagues increased places in the Champions League and Revenue.

Countries  Involved.

Scotland                                                                                           Population -   5,42,800

Denmark                                                                                          Population-   5,785,884(2018 Estimation)

Norway                                                                                            Population- 5,302,778(2018 Estimation)

Sweden                                                                                            Population- 10,161,797(2018 Census)

Finland                                                                                              Population- 5,517,887(2018 Estimation)

Belgium                                                                                           Population- 11,358,357(Jan 2018 Estimation)

Netherlands                                                                                 Population-17,249,632(2018 Estimation)

Portugal                                                                                          Population - 10,291,027

                                                                                                             Total Population 28 Million people 

 

 

 

I'm late to the party, as usual, but I make it almost 66 million. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm late to the party, as usual, but I make it almost 66 million. 
I think this might be a party with Twiglets and alcohol-free beer only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting arithmetic there - bring on Guimaraes and MyPa at Pittodrie instead of Hamilton and Livingston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love aw this pish so i do ! Not that i ever take it seriously or expect it to happen but its fun to theorise . On the other I don’t just automatically call an idea a load of sh1te just because it’s different , or go around red dotting things other people say I disagree with DA baracas

 

Anyway i think it’s almost inevitable that eufa will give the go ahead to cross border leagues or merging of top divisions or some form of invite only super league. For us in Scotland that usually means finding a home for the old firm to play against clubs of a similar size and strength.

Both of them would dearly love to play in england but I don’t see any appetite from the English to have them, the epl is such a strong league with so many great games that they have no need to pay over the odds for 2 OF derby games a season ( once you take the little race out the equation they would just become Cardiff v Swansea with bigotry)

More realistic options would be joining scandanavia in a unified league however the clubs in norway sweeden and finland arent that strong either and it has to be a summer season up there .

Another option were that if holland and Belgium were to merge their top divisions then our arse cheeks could try to cosey in with them ?Its a great deal for the old firm, lots of strongish clubs only an hours flight away in 2 small countries.But its shite deal for them as they currently have hardly any travelling to do .

 

Once you start including portugal and so on it just gets messy . To cold to play in the Norwegian winter too hot to play the Portuguese summer.

As much as people decry this as a load of pish, the point of leagues is to separate opponents based on relative strengths. The old firm are misfits for our league, disproportionately large in terms of support and financial clout . Rangers have been shite because of mismanagement whilst killie are up there this season because they’ve rolled a double 6 with the manager. Aberdeen have strengthened to maintain consistent high finishes but you feel they are only a bad managerial appointment away from being bottom half again. Under normal conditions youd expect the old firm to stary finishing 15+ points ahead of third again shortly

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think for a laugh I am gonna start a FM game where I replace all the teams in the english set up and put the teams from these nations in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2018 at 11:56, drs said:

Scotland will be outside of EU law in March - how does your league get round that?

Before you even get to that, its a competition and you're bound by conditions of entry.

Its not restriction of trade as UEFA dont prohibit clubs trading, only participating in their competitions.

That's how the Transfer window works - You can employ any employee at any time, just cant register them to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Whats everyones thoughts on this ?  will it be the usual "tae f**k with this pish! I like tae keep things the way they've aye been" ?   or is there maybe a wee realisation that a select few teams regularly dishing out pumpings with ease isn't a benefit for anybody and that leagues are meant to be roughly equal in terms of strength and standard.    A lot  of people including myself would like to see the financial balance addressed but at the end of the day this is unlikely,  we cant turn the clock back with tv money,  something on the same magnitude as the bosman  ruling  may have an affect on the game  but even then , a team with 20-30% or less  of the support of a bigger rival is highly unlikely to compete meaningfully and regularly under any circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2018 at 10:11, DARREN38 said:

Information

The Atlantic League is a proposed Competition between Countries of Small Leagues. Which has been discussed since 2000. Now Let's  say it will happen due to the Big Five Leagues increased places in the Champions League and Revenue.

Countries  Involved.

Scotland                                                                                           Population -   5,42,800

Denmark                                                                                          Population-   5,785,884(2018 Estimation)

Norway                                                                                            Population- 5,302,778(2018 Estimation)

Sweden                                                                                            Population- 10,161,797(2018 Census)

Finland                                                                                              Population- 5,517,887(2018 Estimation)

Belgium                                                                                           Population- 11,358,357(Jan 2018 Estimation)

Netherlands                                                                                 Population-17,249,632(2018 Estimation)

Portugal                                                                                          Population - 10,291,027

                                                                                                             Total Population 28 Million people 

Format

I will Say Two Leagues of 16 teams with Domestic Leagues Beneath the Second Division.  Teams would be relegated back to there domestic league if they finished in the bottom of the second division.   Top two enter the Champions League. Let's say First place in the group stage and second placed place- Third Qualifying round. Third place Europa League a group stage place with the fourth entering the second qualifying position.

Yes nations would forfeit there own places. But in the long run to compete against the top five leagues which are surging ahead and will only get bigger. This maybe a worth whild chance to take. At least the gap will be reduced.

Games will be at the weekend allowing fans time to travel and clubs a week to rest.

Television

This new League will bring in much needed revenue compared to the current situation. Where TV revenue is minor. 

UEFA

There is this urban myth that UEFA will not allow cross border Leagues. Technical UEFA can not stop this due to European Union Competition laws. Which rule against restriction of trade. UEFA it already has been discussing a European Super League involving the Big Five Leagues.  A two Division Atlantic Leagues with links to Domestic football can proceed with nothing stopping it. The clubs involved would have to unite and remind UEFA of EU Laws that UEFA has to follow.

Yep. I've always liked the Atlantic League idea. It'd give some attractive games, and could off-load an Old Firm fixture to enable Scottish Premiership expansion. 

The format I'd use would be something like two divisions of 7, teams playing one another just once.

Edited to add -

I'd schedule the fixtures for during the winter breaks and/or late-season mid-weeks when most teams have been knocked out of European football and/or pre-season mid-weeks before European football has begun for these clubs and/or pre-season weekends once mid-week European football has already begun for these clubs.

Edited by prodcast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...