Inverted Y-Axis?

Buddist Monk

Game Controls..  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

I guess im just used to playing the likes of Street fighter etc when younger, when up meant jump lol

I wouldn't use an inverted control on a 2d game, in fact I don't think I've ever seen the option.

I've still to find a use for an inverted x-axis though, that one has me utterly stumped as to why devs would offer it.

14 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

I guess im just used to playing the likes of Street fighter etc when younger, when up meant jump lol

GET.OUT.

12 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I wouldn't use an inverted control on a 2d game, in fact I don't think I've ever seen the option.

I've still to find a use for an inverted x-axis though, that one has me utterly stumped as to why devs would offer it.

Upside down controller?

19 minutes ago, Mr X said:

GET.OUT.

Upside down controller?

I had thought maybe some sort of ambidextrous then slapped myself hard after realising an inverted x is the same regardless of the hand you use (oo-er madam).

It's weird because I've seen the option on a few games, and I've seen it on games that don't have controller support. I wonder if they just offer it because they can. When writing the code to reverse the axis they just hook it up to both?

On 10/09/2018 at 21:22, TQM said:

The way I see it, if you push your head forward, you look down. Pull your head back, you look up. Same with a controller.

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

No, make me lol

Given my chosen option is in the lead in the poll its clearly you "up means down" guys that are wrong

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong :P

That is all you need to know

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

Obviously you invert, it's not even up for debate.

It is for 12 people it seems. The public vote, which was jokingly introduced to have a "comical" third option does of course allows us the opportunity to ridicule those who don't follow a sensible path like us. ;)

On 10/09/2018 at 21:22, TQM said:

The way I see it, if you push your head forward, you look down. Pull your head back, you look up. Same with a controller.

7 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Should only be inverting if you're flying a plane. 

Otherwise you should be on a register. 

You are politely referred to the correct answer 

• 4 weeks later...

I dare say this is also an age thing - as bunglebonce said - some of us have been gaming for a very long time and I assume they have always taken the controls based on an aeroplane's control.  Pulling down on the joystick to raise your altitude and pushing up to lower it.  At some point I think the default setting was changed and those younger prefer non inverted and us oldies have stuck with inverted.

I am a recent convert to  non inverted.  I prefer it now.

11 hours ago, Loki said:

I dare say this is also an age thing - as bunglebonce said - some of us have been gaming for a very long time and I assume they have always taken the controls based on an aeroplane's control.  Pulling down on the joystick to raise your altitude and pushing up to lower it.  At some point I think the default setting was changed and those younger prefer non inverted and us oldies have stuck with inverted.

I am a recent convert to  non inverted.  I prefer it now.

I always knew you were a wrong un

It purely comes down to what games you were brought up on, nothing else surely 

I didn't play many inverted y axis games, even on arcades up moved your guy up etc so ive always been non inverted, however guys who played games a lot that were inverted controls have obviously stuck with it

They are clearly wrong but who are we to judge 

Archived