Inverted Y-Axis?

Buddist Monk

Game Controls..  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been playing games for much longer than I care to admit, and while just about everything has changed over that time, there remains a continuing battle. Whether to have the y-axis inverted. For those who don't know what I mean, and I expect everyone knows what I mean but... when you push up on your "view direction" control should that make the character look up or look down.

I simply can't play it with the y-axis not inverted, it's plainly obvious what is going on but conditioning and muscle memory have absolutely nixed any chance I can deal with it being the opposite way.

I've made the voting public purely to catch out the liars who choose option 3.. ;)

I've always inverted the y-axis but I'd find it hard to explain why. It might be because I played a lot flight Sims with a joystick which were my first experience of the first person view long before joypads were a thing or it might be the fact if you move your head forward you look down and vice versa. 

It doesn't really matter though because the uninverted are just wrong.

Not that I wish to start of some sort of elitist bullshit, but from experience it is the more seasoned/experienced gamer that used inverted y-axis. For example I played clan for nigh on a decade, about a decade ago, and there wasn't a single person I knew who played with a non inverted y-axis.

4 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Not that I wish to start of some sort of elitist bullshit, but from experience it is the more seasoned/experienced gamer that used inverted y-axis. For example I played clan for nigh on a decade, about a decade ago, and there wasn't a single person I knew who played with a non inverted y-axis.

On the contrary, when I played in a Rainbow Six clan over a decade ago I was the only one who inverted the y-axis.  They tried to convince me that my reactions would be quicker if I was non-inverted, but I was never convinced by that.  Within the last year I tried to train myself to do non-inverted but gave up, it felt too weird.

I was never huge into flying games etc but some of my earliest gaming memories are with a joystick, so I guess I've always felt the inverted y-axis is natural.

Inverting the x-axis fries my brain though!

4 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

On the contrary, when I played in a Rainbow Six clan over a decade ago I was the only one who inverted the y-axis.  They tried to convince me that my reactions would be quicker if I was non-inverted, but I was never convinced by that.  Within the last year I tried to train myself to do non-inverted but gave up, it felt too weird.

I was never huge into flying games etc but some of my earliest gaming memories are with a joystick, so I guess I've always felt the inverted y-axis is natural.

Inverting the x-axis fries my brain though!

That is genuinely weird. I think I've known about 3 people in all my life who use non-inverted (and yet, 7 have voted that way alone!). I wonder if it's a generational thing, or a consoles thing. Maybe if you grew up playing consoles you are more likely to use non-inverted? Inverted axis doesn't just make things easier for me, it's inherently the "right way" for it to be.

As for an inverted x-axis, I've seen the option in some games but honestly I cannot see the benefit of that - ever!

It must be a brain interpretation thing, some people might perceive the orientation of the controller differently, they see it as vertical when it's usually more horizontal. They think they are pushing the stick up when they're really pushing it forward.

Also worth noting that if you are holding a rifle with your right hand on the trigger, you would move that hand down to aim up and up to aim down.

35 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Quite clearly this. 

I'm glad the poll is public so well deserved bannings can be dished out to the uninverted

Now you see this is the way to deal with such freaks. A Spanish Inquisition purge is possibly the best they can hope for.

Thankfully nobody was silly enough to say they can play it either way. If they did, we'd know they'd weigh the same as a duck.

13 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

That is genuinely weird. I think I've known about 3 people in all my life who use non-inverted (and yet, 7 have voted that way alone!). I wonder if it's a generational thing, or a consoles thing. Maybe if you grew up playing consoles you are more likely to use non-inverted? Inverted axis doesn't just make things easier for me, it's inherently the "right way" for it to be.

I grew up on consoles in the 8 and 16-bit era, but playing games like Afterburner and Hang On on arcade cabinets would have gone a long way to wiring my brain for the inverted y-axis.

Always invert. My mate uses non-inverted and it does my head in when he's been over at mine on my console and he's left it the wrong way.

The way I see it, if you push your head forward, you look down. Pull your head back, you look up. Same with a controller.

The first time I used a controller with a stick was the N64, and default was set to non-inverted. Me and my mates played a lot of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, so at the time I used non-inverted.

However when the Xbox came out I believe Halo's default was inverted. At first I fought it and changed it back, but soon gave in after playing some other Xbox games and have been inverted ever since.

Recently played Goldeneye on an original N64 and was all over the place due to the non-inverted nature of the controls. In fact the movement and aiming were mental to try and control and I just couldn't get used to it. Used to be great at Goldeneye as well. 

I actually have Perfect Dark for my Xbox 360, and of course the controls are inverted. It's still a great game, although the alien being called Elvis and being a nippy wee shite still irritate me.

36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The first time I used a controller with a stick was the N64, and default was set to non-inverted. Me and my mates played a lot of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, so at the time I used non-inverted.

I had the same issue when playing multiplayer Goldeneye on my friends N64! That said, the N64 controller was... well... er... "unique".

Archived