Queens v Ross County

7 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

The goal that was chopped off for offside looks very close but you can see with the lines in the artificial turf that it was the right call.

Screenshot_20180916-113401_YouTube.jpg

It was close but as you say the correct decision.  Have seen them go either way.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Not to get too hung up in attendance figures on a match thread but I thought this ticketing system was introduced to indicate the actual number in attendance and cut out guesswork/theft.  Everyone in attendance has to hand over a ticket at the turnstiles whether it be bought at the ticket booths or the season book stub or a complimentary.   Surely only human error in the counting process can give a false attendance total otherwise there is no way that wrong figures can legitimately be reached.  As a spectator it is difficult to look round the ground and guess at the possible attendance,  against Ayr I was surprised how high the official number was and yesterday there looked to be a similar number of home fans but obviously a lot less visitors,  but that shouldn't have resulted in such a big drop in the total. Unless a human error is made in the counting process we have to take the official number as fact. 

No, we don’t have to take the “official” number as fact because clubs don’t have to publicise the actual numbers. Of course, they have to record them, but they don’t have to release the numbers to the public. Some clubs overstate the number by including season ticket holders who don’t show up. There was an article about it on the BBC website. The gist is that the numbers given out don’t need to be accurate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45158878

18 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

The goal that was chopped off for offside looks very close but you can see with the lines in the artificial turf that it was the right call.

Screenshot_20180916-113401_YouTube.jpg

Looks kinda level to me.

To be honest, I think the officials were maybe glad to find a reason to disallow it, because they'd let fouls on Harkins go, moments before.  

To be honest, I wasn't at all convinced by the gate announced for that Ayr game.
Obviously there was a good visiting support that day, but I thought it probably took the gate towards the 2000 mark, rather than hundreds beyond it.  
As you say it's pretty inexplicable that we had 400 more Queens fans present for that game, than for the League game subsequent to it. I suspect that an error was made and we didn't.

I don’t know though. I think there’s a decent number of Queens fans who like me live in central belt and have to pick and choose home games. Ayr at home is a much bigger pull than RC at home if you ask me. As it happens I was sick for the Ayr game and up north for the RC game so made neither[emoji17]

1 minute ago, steakpiegravy said:

I don’t know though. I think there’s a decent number of Queens fans who like me live in central belt and have to pick and choose home games. Ayr at home is a much bigger pull than RC at home if you ask me. As it happens I was sick for the Ayr game and up north for the RC game so made neitheremoji17.png

I can't imagine that that would be the case for literally hundreds of people though.  

Yesterday's game came after a run of high scoring victories and it offered us a chance of going top.  I don't buy that for several hundred, the lure of Ayr proved greater.

Just to ratify my post...I personally have no complaints in paying £18 to watch my team.I will pay whatever price they decide to charge.Assumably the regulars are of the same opinion.I am just pointing out the for the "floaters". £18 is out of the price range for many that may wish to watch Queens.

33 minutes ago, Flash said:

No, we don’t have to take the “official” number as fact because clubs don’t have to publicise the actual numbers. Of course, they have to record them, but they don’t have to release the numbers to the public. Some clubs overstate the number by including season ticket holders who don’t show up. There was an article about it on the BBC website. The gist is that the numbers given out don’t need to be accurate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45158878

What then is the point of clubs announcing crowd numbers? The point I was making that,  with the ticketing system we have,  if the ticket stubs are counted correctly,  the actual number present should be known and that surely is the official attendance as given out be the announcer, if it's not then why announce it.  It may add to the discussion on here but it may also add to the distrust that some fans have with those in charge.  

As for the actual game,  I thought over the piece the draw was fair. We caused them more problems in the first half than they caused us.  Indeed but for a 10 minute spell late in the second half when we sat a bit deeper,  or were forced a bit deeper,  we didn't look greatly troubled.  As for the few remarking about County's physical or "cynical" style,  I've often thought we were too nicey-nicey in our approach and if you have big physical players why not use that to your advantage.  Dykes has improved this season because he has started to add a bit more dig to his game as well as upping his workrate and awareness.  He is also showing he has ability.  Being a bit more "street-wise" throughout the team and not being bullied by bigger, stronger opponents should complement the skill we undoubtedly have in the team.  

2 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

£18 to watch Dobbie is worth it. Its a bargain when you throw in Harkins etc. Also the 3 league clean sheets in a row. 

Dobbie has been very successful in the EFL Championship previousl. Harkins has only played as high as League One in England. Dykes, Stirling and Todd may all make it to the EFL, but they're not there yet. Nor is the atmosphere at Palmy comparable to 10k-30k you may get in the EFL Championship or even League One.

I love Dobbie as much as anyone. I still don't think for the floating fan that £18 is a bargain.

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What then is the point of clubs announcing crowd numbers? The point I was making that,  with the ticketing system we have,  if the ticket stubs are counted correctly,  the actual number present should be known and that surely is the official attendance as given out be the announcer, if it's not then why announce it.  It may add to the discussion on here but it may also add to the distrust that some fans have with those in charge.  

Can't argue with any of that .

47 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Clubs in the English Premiership also have ticketing systems and it doesn’t prevent them from publishing crowd numbers that aren’t accurate, according to the BBC article.  Doesn’t necessarily mean that the fans distrust those in charge of those clubs.

Out of interest, what distrust do some fans have with those in charge at Palmerston?

If there were 2000 home fans at the Ayr game and 1400 there yesterday then that (obviously) suggests 600 less there yesterday. Either a mistake has been made about the number of Ayr fans in attendance or someone has failed to count a bunch of tickets yesterday. I didn't think there was 600 less. The main stand looked as busy and the new stand was pretty good as well.

I would certainly say 1500 was bang on yesterday but I must admit the quoted crowd of c.2400 at the Ayr match looked more like 2000/2100.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Clubs in the English Premiership also have ticketing systems and it doesn’t prevent them from publishing crowd numbers that aren’t accurate, according to the BBC article.  Doesn’t necessarily mean that the fans distrust those in charge of those clubs.

Out of interest, what distrust do some fans have with those in charge at Palmerston?

I personally have no gripe with the Chairman or BoD or the general way the club is being run,   but without trawling through a catalogue of back posts there are several instances of people posting about the Chairman's company making money from the Club through work being done,   or the perceived  lack of openness from the top that some fans express,  or possibly the biggest gripe of all by some posters,   the failed attempt to get a fans rep on the board as if we are being excluded from what is happening behind the scenes. You get the drift now? It may be common practice for clubs not to announce the actual attendance as the Official attendance,  I just don't understand why they do. It's pointless giving out false attendance figures to supporters. 

25 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I personally have no gripe with the Chairman or BoD or the general way the club is being run,   but without trawling through a catalogue of back posts there are several instances of people posting about the Chairman's company making money from the Club through work being done,   or the perceived  lack of openness from the top that some fans express,  or possibly the biggest gripe of all by some posters,   the failed attempt to get a fans rep on the board as if we are being excluded from what is happening behind the scenes. You get the drift now? It may be common practice for clubs not to announce the actual attendance as the Official attendance,  I just don't understand why they do. It's pointless giving out false attendance figures to supporters. 

So, to sum up, you are worried that the club potentially announcing incorrect attendance figures would result in the reinforcement of the views of a few people who post on here. Fair enough.

A Brighton fan view:

Scottish Championship
Queen of the South 0 Ross County 0 Att: 1,509 (78 away) Ent: £18 Prog: £3

Will I ever see a Scottish goal? I wanted to do QoS as their ground reminded me of my beloved Goldstone Ground and indeed it was a great ground.
The main stand is very similar, except stops a bit shorter than the old West Stand. The terracing round the corners and around the floodlights is similar, as is their wonderful covered terrace, that like Hereford's, kinks in the middle. The other long side is an 18 seats up stand, and behind the other goal is a smaller, now out of bounds, terrace. And as for the floodlights...
Disappointed at the exhorbitant £18 entrance - it was never going to be worth that much and the £3 programme was a bit of a piss take.
QoS were unlucky, I liked the way they played and they were by far the more adventurous of the two sides, despite showing less technical skill. Ross County were about the dullest side I've ever seen. Very fit and competent but taking absolutely no risks for the full 90 mins. Every sight on goal, they took another pass, every time there was a bit of traffic passed back. They were tedious to watch.
Luckily I had a fiver on 0-0 as damage limitation and got 11-1 odds.

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

A Brighton fan view:

Scottish Championship
Queen of the South 0 Ross County 0 Att: 1,509 (78 away) Ent: £18 Prog: £3

Will I ever see a Scottish goal? I wanted to do QoS as their ground reminded me of my beloved Goldstone Ground and indeed it was a great ground.
The main stand is very similar, except stops a bit shorter than the old West Stand. The terracing round the corners and around the floodlights is similar, as is their wonderful covered terrace, that like Hereford's, kinks in the middle. The other long side is an 18 seats up stand, and behind the other goal is a smaller, now out of bounds, terrace. And as for the floodlights...
Disappointed at the exhorbitant £18 entrance - it was never going to be worth that much and the £3 programme was a bit of a piss take.
QoS were unlucky, I liked the way they played and they were by far the more adventurous of the two sides, despite showing less technical skill. Ross County were about the dullest side I've ever seen. Very fit and competent but taking absolutely no risks for the full 90 mins. Every sight on goal, they took another pass, every time there was a bit of traffic passed back. They were tedious to watch.
Luckily I had a fiver on 0-0 as damage limitation and got 11-1 odds.

with your team Brighton, nearly going out of business and not having a home ground a few years ago, you would not mind paying £18 admission and £3 for a programme to a club who work on a shoestring budget to keep their club full time.

think you are being a bit harsh on that front.

mind you, our entrance cost has been the talk of the town.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

So, to sum up, you are worried that the club potentially announcing incorrect attendance figures would result in the reinforcement of the views of a few people who post on here. Fair enough.

To start with I am not worried in the least about football clubs  possibly announcing false attendance figures,  I might want to discuss it and question why they do it but it's hardly keeping me awake at night.  You asked the question what distrust to some fans have with those in charge at Palmerston and I simply gave a few examples to highlight that some fans see ulterior motives in actions of those running the club, they are not necessarily views I agree with.  The apparent practice of Clubs,  not just QoS,  of announcing Official attendances which may not be actual attendances  just seems a bit pointless and begs the question why any club deems it necessary to announce "official attendances".  Whether those fans who continually question the running of the club under the present regime see this as an underhanded practice I cannot say. 

22 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

To start with I am not worried in the least about football clubs  possibly announcing false attendance figures,  I might want to discuss it and question why they do it but it's hardly keeping me awake at night.  You asked the question what distrust to some fans have with those in charge at Palmerston and I simply gave a few examples to highlight that some fans see ulterior motives in actions of those running the club, they are not necessarily views I agree with.  The apparent practice of Clubs,  not just QoS,  of announcing Official attendances which may not be actual attendances  just seems a bit pointless and begs the question why any club deems it necessary to announce "official attendances".  Whether those fans who continually question the running of the club under the present regime see this as an underhanded practice I cannot say. 

You said that Queens announcing inaccurate attendance figures “may add to the distrust that some fans have with those in charge”. I think it was reasonable to conclude that it was therefore a concern of yours. At least now we’ve established that it isn’t. As well as establishing that crowd figures released by clubs aren’t “facts” which was your original assertion.

Archived