Queens v Ross County

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recognise a mate's dad and his wife (with two friends) who were holidaying in Cumbria that week, but as said, they're almost all from the central belt.

59 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

The vast majority of that lot are centrally based.

Hardly surprising. It's a fair journey just getting there from Edinburgh when I go to see us play QotS. Fair play to anyone coming all the way down from Dingwall on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

Really poor effort that

Not putting  bus on?

Heard a lot of the regulars were keen on getting back on the bus, but given the distance from Dingwall to Dumfries (plus pick-ups) it would need 2 drivers and extra fuel, and the additional cost meant it wasn't viable.

Genuinely not sure if the accident en route to our last away game  affected plans for Dumfries, but I don't think so.

As far as I understand it, the club helped with the buses and covered losses for the last few/couple of seasons.
But (for a number of reasons) it's one of the supporters clubs (i.e. volunteers) that sorts it now/again.
So if it looks like they wont get the numbers to cover costs they have to scrap it for that game.
Given they have to organise a bus to travel huge distances pretty much every second week, its always been a big expense and hard work to sustain - putting on fundraisers etc. to cover short-fall.  Seems that we're having a phase where it's  just too difficult again. 
But the volunteers do the best they can, hopefully there will be enough numbers for the next game.

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

From Edinburgh? What are you doing, pulling the train yourself? :blink:

It's just under an hour from Edinburgh to QS then around 2 hours from Central to Dumfries. I know you can get one from Edinburgh to Carlisle then up to Dumfries that's quicker but they're not as frequent.

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

It's just under an hour from Edinburgh to QS then around 2 hours from Central to Dumfries. I know you can get one from Edinburgh to Carlisle then up to Dumfries that's quicker but they're not as frequent.

Sorry, I didnt realise you were taking the worst route possible.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

It's about 6 hours by train there and back. I'd say that's a fair amount of travel time.

It's considerably quicker just to get one to Lockerbie and get a regular service bus to Dumfries from there. 2 hours each way maximum, not much longer than it would be in a car.  As a bonus you'll get dropped in Dumfries much closer to the ground than the train station is.

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's considerably quicker just to get one to Lockerbie and get a regular service bus to Dumfries from there. 2 hours each way maximum, not much longer than it would be in a car.  As a bonus you'll get dropped in Dumfries much closer to the ground than the train station is.

I’ve done that journey several times this season already. It’s a bit shorter on the way down, and longer on the way back, as you have to wait at Lockerbie for the next available train, which isn’t until 18.32.

On the way down, the 12.12 from Waverley to Manchester Airport gets you to Lockerbie for 13.09 and the number 81 bus leaves from the bus stop outside what used to be Tescos at 13.27. It gets in to the Whitesands at 13.57.

So it’s a relatively speedy 1 hr 45 mins from Waverley to Dumfries on the way down.

On the way back, the 17.10 number 81 bus from the Whitesands  (by the time I’ve walked over from Palmerston I usually have a 15 minute wait for the bus) gets you into Lockerbie (the bridge by the station) for 17.40. You then have to wait for 52 minutes for the 18.32 train to Waverley, which gets you back into Edinburgh for 19.35.

So, 2 hrs 25 mins (from bus leaving Dumfries) on the way back. Slightly more tedious, given a 15 minute wait at the Whitesands and the best part of an hour in Lockerbie, but not nearly as bad as going via Glasgow.

*Edit - you could of course spend half an hour in the pub in Dumfries and get the 17.40 bus, which would make the return journey 1 hr and 52 mins.

There was a bus parked in the corner of the Arena Car Park during the game,  not the team bus I don't think as I saw that going through the town earlier on in the day and it displayed the Ross County Team Coach sign.  I thought that the one in the Arena park was carrying travelling supporters but it may not have been unless there was one run by those from closer to Dumfries. 

I’ve done that journey several times this season already. It’s a bit shorter on the way down, and longer on the way back, as you have to wait at Lockerbie for the next available train, which isn’t until 18.32.
On the way down, the 12.12 from Waverley to Manchester Airport gets you to Lockerbie for 13.09 and the number 81 bus leaves from the bus stop outside what used to be Tescos at 13.27. It gets in to the Whitesands at 13.57.
So it’s a relatively speedy 1 hr 45 mins from Waverley to Dumfries on the way down.
On the way back, the 17.10 number 81 bus from the Whitesands  (by the time I’ve walked over from Palmerston I usually have a 15 minute wait for the bus) gets you into Lockerbie (the bridge by the station) for 17.40. You then have to wait for 52 minutes for the 18.32 train to Waverley, which gets you back into Edinburgh for 19.35.
So, 2 hrs 25 mins (from bus leaving Dumfries) on the way back. Slightly more tedious, given a 15 minute wait at the Whitesands and the best part of an hour in Lockerbie, but not nearly as bad as going via Glasgow.
*Edit - you could of course spend half an hour in the pub in Dumfries and get the 17.40 bus, which would make the return journey 1 hr and 52 mins.

Some would see the wait at Lockerbie for the return train as an ideal opportunity to grab a pint or 2 at the pubs located in Station Square or to have a bite to eat from one of the many takeaways!

There was a bus parked in the corner of the Arena Car Park during the game,  not the team bus I don't think as I saw that going through the town earlier on in the day and it displayed the Ross County Team Coach sign.  I thought that the one in the Arena park was carrying travelling supporters but it may not have been unless there was one run by those from closer to Dumfries. 

That’s the bus that brings the stewards to the game each week.

Archived