Queens v Ross County

12 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Thought we edged it today purely on chances/half chances created. The fact that Martin barely had a safe to make suggests that the back 4 and holding midfielders must have done pretty well.

I think County will be contenders but when you compare Graham and McManus with Dobbie and Dykes it is a no contest and that lack of flair up top might just hold them back. Gardyne is still a very useful player at this level and I thought the County back 3 were very tough and well organised.

Make no mistake this league title is up for grabs and we should start believing that we are as good as any and with the flair that we have in our ranks we should be able to mount a genuine challenge.

Dobbie was carrying a groin injury today and a fully fit Dobbs could well have made the difference but it wasn’t to be.

Ideally there are 3 positions that need strengthening - GK ,RB (although Mercer is playing miles better than last season) and CM where Jacobs works tremendously hard and is an asset but another central midfielder alongside Todd who can protect the back 4 BUT also control the pace of play and keep the ball better would really help us.

That being said Livvy earned promotion on a shoestring budget last year and we have to start believing that we can compete for the title. We need luck “in running” with injuries but a place at the top table is long overdue and what better year to start getting our act together?

Let’s say you’re right about the highlighted points. If a fully fit Dobbie could have made the difference, we would be 2 points better off and County 1 point worse off. So, if we finish second 2 points behind County, we would have effectively handed them the championship by risking Dobbie in that Diddy Cup game last week.

I’m not suggesting this is how things will pan out but, imo, Dobbie is such a key player for us and promotion is such an important thing, that playing him in that virtually meaningless competition is not worth the risk. And that is just looking at it for the potential impact it had on one game. It could be it affects him for a number of games. I wouldn’t play him in the next round and if we lose as a consequence, so be it. Getting promotion would be massive for us. Winning the Diddy Cup (again) wouldn’t be.

Btw, that is Ayr and County who have both apparently had off days against us in successive home games. Our luck must be turning because very few teams had off days against us at Palmerston last season.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Maybe, but maybe we just played a bit gash for a game, it happens sometimes. For Cowie and Vigurs to both be off the creative boil is unfortunate. 

Of course I accept it can happen pal.

strangley though, when this Queens side get a positive result it always seems to be when the opposition has been poor, so we are quickly told by the relavent managers.

Morton, Falkirk, St Johnstone ( 90 mins), Ayr, County.

3 minutes ago, SueSue said:

strangley though, when this Queens side get a positive result it always seems to be when the opposition has been poor, so we are quickly told by the relavent managers.

A draw is a neutral result.

1 minute ago, SueSue said:

Only one poster has suggested County were poor, I think 90% of those who were at the game and have posted have been pretty positive about the way both defences performed, you seemed to take great offence to one County supporter suggesting we put in a poor performance, QoS were very probably the reason for that, stop being so precious. 

26 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Only one poster has suggested County were poor, I think 90% of those who were at the game and have posted have been pretty positive about the way both defences performed, you seemed to take great offence to one County supporter suggesting we put in a poor performance, QoS were very probably the reason for that, stop being so precious. 

Okay if you say so tank. 

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I reckon we got about 400 additional home supporters at the Ayr match that we certainly didn’t expect. Having bothered to turn up and witness what was a quite exceptional performance at this level, and then decide not to go to either of the next two games (especially the RC match) is really difficult to explain. It would have not been wildly optimistic to see a crowd of c. 1750 yesterday but 1500 was frankly pitiful given the efforts of the players in recent weeks.

To be honest, I wasn't at all convinced by the gate announced for that Ayr game.

Obviously there was a good visiting support that day, but I thought it probably took the gate towards the 2000 mark, rather than hundreds beyond it.  

As you say it's pretty inexplicable that we had 400 more Queens fans present for that game, than for the League game subsequent to it. I suspect that an error was made and we didn't.

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

Getting a bit fed up of this kind of comment. Agreed, your big centre back for me was your best player.

It was your worst performance because you thought if you kept Dobbie quiet then we were a one man team. Just as Ayr did.

then you actually found that our midfield work there socks off to close down and stop your midfield playing.

then you found out that our centre backs would stand up and give your usually robust forward line a bit of a physical battering. Meaning they disappeared out wide and became non existent. 

So overall you didn’t play your usual game because we set up and have the players to stop you doing what you do.

Contrary to all the preseason bollocks about Queens being in the bottom 2 or 3 we have a very good exciting team

just a pity no very many supporters have got the message yet.

£18 to watch this team is a bargain FFS man !!!

Goodness me you're a precious little soul aren't you?

Thanks for explaining football to me.

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

£18 to watch this team is a bargain FFS man !!!

In the EFL Championship, 15 of the 24 teams have adult tickets for £20 or less. In EFL League One it's 17 of 24 and in EFL League Two it's 23 of 24. Basically, the SPFL Championship is priced about the same as most of the EFL Championship or League One. The attendances are vastly different though. The problem is naturally wider than just Queens and there's not much more we can do*, but I don't agree that £18 is a bargain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances

*Apart from some imaginative thinking about long-term, high revenue alternative income streams... which I am sure has been tried, and I can't come up with anything.

12 hours ago, SueSue said:

Really poor attendance today. Just can’t work out what is going the crowds in every week.

Great value at Palmerston at the moment. Plenty of attacking football ..... lots of goals and a team surpassing all expectations....

You think. We have had some lowish crowds this season 1200ish home support with yesterday being 1400ish home support. With us getting a point against widely expected league champs to be and a clean sheet as well, I hope it will sow the seeds of attendance growth. I think we have had a very good start to the season and as it continues then, hopefully, attendance will grow. 

14 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

In the EFL Championship, 15 of the 24 teams have adult tickets for £20 or less. In EFL League One it's 17 of 24 and in EFL League Two it's 23 of 24. Basically, the SPFL Championship is priced about the same as most of the EFL Championship or League One. The attendances are vastly different though. The problem is naturally wider than just Queens and there's not much more we can do*, but I don't agree that £18 is a bargain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances

*Apart from some imaginative thinking about long-term, high revenue alternative income streams... which I am sure has been tried, and I can't come up with anything.

£18 to watch Dobbie is worth it. Its a bargain when you throw in Harkins etc. Also the 3 league clean sheets in a row. 

If there were 2000 home fans at the Ayr game and 1400 there yesterday then that (obviously) suggests 600 less there yesterday. Either a mistake has been made about the number of Ayr fans in attendance or someone has failed to count a bunch of tickets yesterday. I didn't think there was 600 less. The main stand looked as busy and the new stand was pretty good as well.

That was a proper game of football including a poor ref.  County packed the mid field and made constructive play difficult. Great to see our defense battle to claim another clean sheet and the partnership of Doyle and Semple looks like its been in place for years.  Trying to battle through a packed midfield stifled our usual style but we still managed to produce chances that could have produced a goal  It looks like County will do well with the squad they have but I would rather watch our team play with style

We are a bit light in alternatives but I thought Frizzle looked decent and I'm sure the Manager will maybe feel more confident and give the boy a bit longer.

Find it a bit strange that the town don't seem to back the team by going through the turnstiles in greater numbers to watch proper football.

14 hours ago, JessieField said:

Queens would have won that game if a competent referee had officiated. He was awful. Booking Jacobs in 2 minutes, then letting the County hatchet men persistently foul,  with only verbal warnings was out of order. (County "cleverly" rotate their fouls, taking it in turn to commit offences to stop the other team. Very professional if you like that kind of thing.) Maybe that's why Jacobs had less of an impact during the game, he had to watch he wasn't sent off by that clown of a ref. Eventually, the ref booked Vigurs in the second half but he really should have been booked earlier.  Overall impression of County? A team of giants who are going to kick and foul their way to the top end of the League come what may. Other teams be warned, you're in for a kicking. Hope we don't get them in the Irn Bru Cup.

Oh dear.

Mclean was indeed dreadful as usual, but for both teams. Midge taken out after what, 4mins, a deserved yellow card and for me Midge didn't look right for the rest of the 1st half.  The fouling and heavy challenges didn't all come from the away team.

Kettlewell as usual is honest and accurate with his assessment - Queens had the edge on chances (by a distance) and there was a general lack of energy and creativity from us, so we have to be happy with a point. As others have said, that was a poor performance from us compared to what we have seen so far this season, and yes credit to a good Queens side for making it difficult and nullifying us. But we were ponderous and sloppy in possession, gave the ball away easily, and several of our players just didn't impress. We need more from Vigurs and Cowie, and our free kick opportunities were generally wasted as well. We have a lack of pace. I feel we are really missing our captain Fraser, who gives us much better balance on the right and is always willing to break into the opposition box.

Queens could have been 2 or 3 up at HT, Dykes (impressive) twice through 1 on 1 with Fox,  and the one off the bar. 2nd half was better from us, Queens went deeper and deeper, but still looked dangerous on the break and the more likely to score. We created very little, Keillor-Dunn may have been able to unlock the Queens defence but wasn't used. Graham worked his socks off and looked knackered with about 15mins to go, McManus got no change out of the home defence.  Any time we had the chance to break, by the time we reached half way the home side were all back organised and in shape. It will be food for thought for our co managers, how do we break down the better organised teams, because  yesterday it never looked like happening.

Summary, we were fortunate to come away with a point. Are our management guilty of farting about with our formation/system too much? Granted the injuries to Fraser and Watson have forced them to try other setups.

As I've said already this season it's refreshing to be in this league again, friendly away fans and even some banter with stewards, fair play to the 2 who were in our section yesterday, good craic and an example of how stewards should behave. Not the "sit down and shut-up" treatment that you get in Dundee for example. Look forward to another visit in January and welcoming you up here in Dec.

Not to get too hung up in attendance figures on a match thread but I thought this ticketing system was introduced to indicate the actual number in attendance and cut out guesswork/theft.  Everyone in attendance has to hand over a ticket at the turnstiles whether it be bought at the ticket booths or the season book stub or a complimentary.   Surely only human error in the counting process can give a false attendance total otherwise there is no way that wrong figures can legitimately be reached.  As a spectator it is difficult to look round the ground and guess at the possible attendance,  against Ayr I was surprised how high the official number was and yesterday there looked to be a similar number of home fans but obviously a lot less visitors,  but that shouldn't have resulted in such a big drop in the total. Unless a human error is made in the counting process we have to take the official number as fact. 

Archived