Queens v Ross County

Just now, palmy_cammy said:

That was in reference to Jacobs. Although Mercer hasn’t exactly pulled up any trees in the last two games.

I know. Question still stands. Which two games are we talking about?

Thats three league clean sheets in a row and the joint second best defensive record in the league and you're having a pop at the right back and defensive midfielder :unsure:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough game. Very impressed with Ross County’s tenaciousness and organisation. They (almost) completely denied Queens’ attacking players space and time, forever snapping at their heels, closing down quickly and constantly pressurising them. Not an aesthetically pleasing team to watch, but a strong and effective one. Will be surprised if they don’t win the league. 

Dykes had a couple of bursts though on goal in the first half, but he never seems to be the most natural of finishers, and Dobbie was unlucky to see a decent effort come back off the bar, but other than that, we created very little, with Harkins uncharacterististically ineffective,  until Frizzell’s late cameo - he troubled County’s defence with his pace.

Most impressive player for me was Semple, who absolutely strolled it against a very good team. 

4 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Tough game. Very impressed with Ross County’s tenaciousness and organisation. They (almost) completely denied Queens’ attacking players space and time, forever snapping at their heels, closing down quickly and constantly pressurising them. Not an aesthetically pleasing team to watch, but a strong and effective one. Will be surprised if they don’t win the league. 

Dykes had a couple of bursts though on goal in the first half, but he never seems to be the most natural of finishers, and Dobbie was unlucky to see a decent effort come back off the bar, but other than that, we created very little, with Harkins uncharacterististically ineffective,  until Frizell’s late cameo - he troubled County’s defence with his pace.

Most impressive player for me was Semple, who absolutely strolled it against a very good team. 

Agree 100%. The difference between County and Ayr at Palmerston was stark. Harkins and Dobbie were given masses of time and space by Ayr, while County worked really hard. Draw was fair.

Draper was County’s best player in the middle of the back three. I suppose that’s one way to get all of the midfielders in the team.

That’s the least cohesive I’ve personally seen County look this season.  Lots of sloppy touches - and too many touches - in midfield, with Cowie making a few unforced errors that I think are uncharacteristic, but he wasn’t the only one culpable of giving away possession.  Vigurs slowed the game down in the first half when there were switches in play available. He improved in the second half (although his switches were poor, inversely).  Another quiet afternoon for McManus, despite having someone up next to him.

Queens’ back four were absolutely fine, County couldn’t get behind them.  Apart from Semple I thought Marshall did very well against Mullin, who has caused a lot of problems against teams this season.  Dykes’s influence faded as County turned the screw in the second half, but he was a huge danger in the first.

31 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Tough game. Very impressed with Ross County’s tenaciousness and organisation. They (almost) completely denied Queens’ attacking players space and time, forever snapping at their heels, closing down quickly and constantly pressurising them.

As well as that I thought they closed down our back 4 so as they did not have time to make meaningful forward passes to our own players

For a 0-0 I enjoyed that. Both defences giving very little away which I'm sure will please both managers. County are a big physical side but to contain our technically good front 4 suggests they aren't just a bunch of cloggers. I doubt they'll be on the end of any skelpings this season and will be right up there come the end of the season. For us to edge the game and prevent them from getting a shot on target* is testimont to our defensive players.

I'm happy we did create chances though and against lesser sides the goals will continue.

Good bunch down from Dingwall who had a good laugh with the stewards. That's how it should be.

The main talking point for me was the officiating. Thankfully no game changing decisions but that was poor today, for both sides. I wasn't in to see Jacobs' yellow but if it was worse than the (No. 5?) challenge on Dykes in the second half then I assume it was a red card challenge. How the County boy never saw yellow was baffling. I can't recall seeing so many two handed shoves going unpunished either. In the second half Graham literally pushed Semple to the floor in the box. McLean had no way of seeing it but surely the other linesman should be watching what's happening in the box? And for the 3rd game in a row the ball went partly out for a throw yet it was given. No danger a goal is given with that much of the ball over the line. Absolutely no consistency.

Doyle was outstanding once again his effort is going to quickly turn him into a Fans Favourite. A back pairing of Brownlie and Fordyce after January saddens me more than anything at this stage.

*Not sure if Gardyne got a shot away when Mercer made a mistake or if Alan got there first.

Queens would have won that game if a competent referee had officiated. He was awful. Booking Jacobs in 2 minutes, then letting the County hatchet men persistently foul,  with only verbal warnings was out of order. (County "cleverly" rotate their fouls, taking it in turn to commit offences to stop the other team. Very professional if you like that kind of thing.) Maybe that's why Jacobs had less of an impact during the game, he had to watch he wasn't sent off by that clown of a ref. Eventually, the ref booked Vigurs in the second half but he really should have been booked earlier.  Overall impression of County? A team of giants who are going to kick and foul their way to the top end of the League come what may. Other teams be warned, you're in for a kicking. Hope we don't get them in the Irn Bru Cup.

Still think anyone who finishes the season above County will end up winning the League. Quality all over the pitch. Yet we matched and probably edged them to the extent they had zero shots on target. 

The defence got a fair bit of criticism midweek following the Crusaders game which was a wee bit harsh. He is pretty much on his own but Mercer and Jacobs are getting it from cammy even now. But we have three clean sheets in a row in the League, two of them against the League leaders at the time. No danger we are getting a point out of that game last season, never mind being the one more unlucky not to win.

Its only 5 games but its been a good start. Looking forward to Firhill now.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Doyle was outstanding once again his effort is going to quickly turn him into a Fans Favourite. A back pairing of Brownlie and Fordyce after January saddens me more than anything at this stage

I hope we manage to extend Semples loan and keep Doyle at centre half. They are excellent together.

Queens would have won that game if a competent referee had officiated. He was awful. Booking Jacobs in 2 minutes, then letting the County hatchet men persistently foul,  with only verbal warnings was out of order. (County "cleverly" rotate their fouls, taking it in turn to commit offences to stop the other team. Very professional if you like that kind of thing.) Maybe that's why Jacobs had less of an impact during the game, he had to watch he wasn't sent off by that clown of a ref. Eventually, the ref booked Vigurs in the second half but he really should have been booked earlier.  Overall impression of County? A team of giants who are going to kick and foul their way to the top end of the League come what may. Other teams be warned, you're in for a kicking. Hope we don't get them in the Irn Bru Cup.
I agree he was poor but as I said in my post, I don't recall any decisions that had a direct effect on the outcome.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
17 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I agree he was poor but as I said in my post, I don't recall any decisions that had a direct effect on the outcome.

It was his lack of decisions that let County get away with ending up with 11 still on the park.

Doyle was outstanding once again his effort is going to quickly turn him into a Fans Favourite. A back pairing of Brownlie and Fordyce after January saddens me more than anything at this stage.

Hoping that Doyle’s enjoying it too much to go elsewhere and semple gets left for the season

It was his lack of decisions that let County get away with ending up with 11 still on the park.
I can't recall any red card incidents. Plenty of yellows but you have to imagine a player on a yellow wouldn't continue to make daft challenges. There's an argument that Jacobs was lucky to stay on the park. His foul on McManus on the edge of the box could have been given a yellow and he couldn't have had many complaints. His reaction just after the foul suggested he thought it was coming.

Thought we edged it today purely on chances/half chances created. The fact that Martin barely had a safe to make suggests that the back 4 and holding midfielders must have done pretty well.

I think County will be contenders but when you compare Graham and McManus with Dobbie and Dykes it is a no contest and that lack of flair up top might just hold them back. Gardyne is still a very useful player at this level and I thought the County back 3 were very tough and well organised.

Make no mistake this league title is up for grabs and we should start believing that we are as good as any and with the flair that we have in our ranks we should be able to mount a genuine challenge.

Dobbie was carrying a groin injury today and a fully fit Dobbs could well have made the difference but it wasn’t to be.

Ideally there are 3 positions that need strengthening - GK ,RB (although Mercer is playing miles better than last season) and CM where Jacobs works tremendously hard and is an asset but another central midfielder alongside Todd who can protect the back 4 BUT also control the pace of play and keep the ball better would really help us.

That being said Livvy earned promotion on a shoestring budget last year and we have to start believing that we can compete for the title. We need luck “in running” with injuries but a place at the top table is long overdue and what better year to start getting our act together?

The early booking of Jacobs did have an effect on his performance. He had to be squeaky clean for the rest of the game.

the number of synical fouls by County went unpunished for far to long.

a really poor performance by the referee today all though a draw was just about right 

1 hour ago, JessieField said:

Overall impression of County? A team of giants who are going to kick and foul their way to the top end of the League come what may. Other teams be warned, you're in for a kicking. Hope we don't get them in the Irn Bru Cup.

You alright mate?

Deary me.

I’m struggling to think of any real refereeing controversy. I think I must have been at a different game to everyone today.

If County’s disallowed goal had been allowed to stand we would have had cause to complain because Harkins was fouled in the build up. Aside from that there were no big calls to make.

Jacobs’ foul was a booking all day long and he was lucky not to get a second one for a clumsy foul on the edge of the box.

I didn’t think County were a dirty team. They had a few cynical fouls to stop our counter attacks but they were the sort of fouls you see teams make every week.

Archived