Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

895 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/09/2018 at 21:39, LeeVanTeeth said:

I have zero interest in women's football just as I have zero interest in watching say Serie A or the African Nations Cup. Does this mean I am a dinosaur too? 

You're not quite up to speed I'm afraid. It makes you a small minded, sexist, misogynistic dinosaur and by the looks of it a parochial, xenophobic, alt-right Brexiter and vile, horrible, disgusting racist too. Three adjectives LVT. You must always use a minimum of three adjectives when someone has a different opinion.  :thumsup2

Have any of you actually read the article? It wasn't that he said he didn't like woman's football, it was the (shite) sexist 'jokes' that were the issue.

I don't like women's football (I too think it's shite) and don't watch it (although the coverage doesn't bother me), but I don't feel the need to be a dick about it and make demeaning crappy jokes using the most boring and unoriginal cliches and stereotypes. But then I'm not sexist. 

Here's the article;

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-fir-park-should-2314034

I don't think it warranted his suspension from Radio Scotland or anything similar, but it shouldn't have been published in the first place. It's just garbage.

Fallen out of the habit of listening recently but I suppose the problem with it is that it can be so wide-ranging in terms of the guests, hosts and tone. Being a bit of a nonce, I quite like it when it's a bit more high-brow (eg Cosgrove talking to someone with half a brain). Find it hard to listen to when it's more like some STV chat show with professional weegie "celebrities" like Andy Cameron, Grado etc. But then some folk will like those episodes. Think they could do a bit more prepping/research of guests sometimes though - eg check an ex player can actually string a sentence together and has at least a little bit of spark or personality.

This thread has at least reminded me the show exists so will download a few recent podcast episodes. The auld fuckers have read out quite a few texts from me over the years so I shouldn't moan about them too much.  

16 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Fallen out of the habit of listening recently but I suppose the problem with it is that it can be so wide-ranging in terms of the guests, hosts and tone. Being a bit of a nonce, I quite like it when it's a bit more high-brow (eg Cosgrove talking to someone with half a brain). Find it hard to listen to when it's more like some STV chat show with professional weegie "celebrities" like Andy Cameron, Grado etc. But then some folk will like those episodes. Think they could do a bit more prepping/research of guests sometimes though - eg check an ex player can actually string a sentence together and has at least a little bit of spark or personality.

This thread has at least reminded me the show exists so will download a few recent podcast episodes. The auld fuckers have read out quite a few texts from me over the years so I shouldn't moan about them too much.  

Wait, what?!

What also made it work (and still does to a degree) is Tam and Stuart weren't career presenters. They were just two fans. Albeit one was a "comedian" and the other worked in the media. If one was to leave ye know they'd replace them with someone who's got experience or training behind the microphone rather than chucking in another rookie.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Have any of you actually read the article? It wasn't that he said he didn't like woman's football, it was the (shite) sexist 'jokes' that were the issue.

I don't like women's football (I too think it's shite) and don't watch it (although the coverage doesn't bother me), but I don't feel the need to be a dick about it and make demeaning crappy jokes using the most boring and unoriginal cliches and stereotypes. But then I'm not sexist. 

Here's the article;

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-fir-park-should-2314034

I don't think it warranted his suspension from Radio Scotland or anything similar, but it shouldn't have been published in the first place. It's just garbage.

I can’t believe that that was published in a national newspaper of any quality.

The problem is that the article shows how Cowan really thinks, and the rubbish that comes out of his mouth on Off The Ball will be what he thinks he has to say, and not what he wants to say.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I can’t believe that that was published in a national newspaper of any quality.

The problem is that the article shows how Cowan really thinks, and the rubbish that comes out of his mouth on Off The Ball will be what he thinks he has to say, and not what he wants to say.

It didn't, it was published in the Daily Record.

On 9/8/2018 at 20:13, Monkey Tennis said:

I used to absolutely love the programme in its first decade or so.  It was funny, irreverent and original, with a pro diddy stance that was authentic and necessary.

I think the decline however, has been steady for a long time.  It's now just two old twits who jibber rubbish.  The most annoying aspect is how much they get wrong.  I know the whole self styled 'petty and ill informed' thing maybe buys them some licence, but it's just bloody ridiculous now.  They give the das of 'yer da' stories a good name.  Every time I catch some of it now, I just wind up cross.

That's before we consider the boundless sycophancy of Tam Cowan in particular.  Stuart Cosgrove is a clever guy who should now steer clear of football.

The show has gone from subversive to subservient and it urgently needs binned.

subservient to who?  

Here's the article;
Is that a serious article? I assumed it was some (admittedly shite) sort of tongue in cheek, holding a mirror up to attitudes about the womens game or something.

Did he write that genuinely and then get suspended for it?

Looks to me like he's wrote a bunch of old, clichéd sexist tropes and tried to make it appear tongue in cheek to get away with it. It's not making the writer the butt of the joke by showing outdated attitudes but just rehashing them all for a laugh at the women's expense.

I just read it for the first time today and, with the pic of him and the disclaimer, I was expecting it to be laced with irony. It wasn't.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Is that a serious article? I assumed it was some (admittedly shite) sort of tongue in cheek, holding a mirror up to attitudes about the womens game or something.

Did he write that genuinely and then get suspended for it?

Genuine article.

It definitely wasn't holding up a mirror to the attitudes. It would have been fine if he left it at him not liking women's football, but the shitey sexist jokes were poor and were the actual issue.

He was suspended from the BBC for 2 weeks for it. The Daily Record made him write an apology. 

Genuine article.
It definitely wasn't holding up a mirror to the attitudes. It would have been fine if he left it at him not liking women's football, but the shitey sexist jokes were poor and were the actual issue.
He was suspended from the BBC for 2 weeks for it. The Daily Record made him write an apology. 
Ooooft. In that case, I am genuinely shocked at what Cowan has become. Its David Brent-esque. Leaving aside the sexism for a moment and just focusing on the actual attempt at patter, its truly fucking terrible.

If you are trying to be funny and people think its some sort of spoof article poking fun at outdated dinosaur comedians, before slowly realising that thats your actual, best patter, then its time to give it up.

Arsehole.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Genuine article.

This is the problem, the editor should have been held accountable, better still, they shouldn't have allowed it to be published.