Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 20/09/2020 at 14:20, invergowrie arab said:

TBF it's not even Cowan and Cosgrove that are to blame. Ill informed windbag are entitled to their tastes and opinions.

It's the BBC devoting about 8 hours a week to their pish which annoys me. They have absolute contempt for their audience.

I looked for and couldn't find the extra four hours so I had to listen to online catch-up broadcasts on a loop to satisfy my seethe

20 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The very notion of the Chemical Brothers would probably explode Tam Cowan's head.

He probably thinks the Chemical Brothers are a couple of drug dealers from Wishaw

Spoiler

If this joke is used on Off the Ball on Saturday I want a fucking mug

23 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Stuart Cosgrove seems the type to search his own name online so I'd imagine he has a wee read on here.

Not sure if Cowan knows how to do The Google.

Is it all just a clever double bluff with Cowan though? I mean, can anyone genuinely, in this day and age, be so out of touch with the modern world? 

On 20/09/2020 at 14:36, Ric said:

It's a fair point.

I don't mind McIntyre as much but it's a broad brush of shame for the other names you mentioned. It's a litany of shame too, from these so called "footballing experts" knowing f**k all about how the Bet Fred early rounds worked to how the Nations League works, down to why people may not agree with successful businesswoman Anne Budge's world view. I'm not blaming them for not knowing in the first place, but they are literally paid to give opinion on these matters. Not knowing the basics is a damning indictment. I'm sure they are all "good old lads" while standing up at a bar giving it anecdotes from their playing days, but that's not what they are there for. What's more, if they don't know they should just say, "I'm not sure" or "I've not looked into it in detail", instead they try to bluff their way through things as if they have the knowledge. The fucking Internet is at their fingertips, it takes seconds to swat up on a subject, no doing so is just lazy and shows contempt for your audience. The old adage, "better to keep quiet and let people think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it", certainly seems apt.

That applies to Cowan and Cosgrove too. Let me be clear I'm not calling them idiots, it's clear they are not, I'm calling them lazy and as I've mentioned before the "ill informed" tag may have seemed irreverent in the late 90s, it's now associated with twitter trolls, trump deplorables and conspiracy fools.

Nail on the head.  I gave up when one year they said they had no idea how the play-offs worked.  They are professionals, for goodness sake, show some professional pride and go and look it up.  Pretending to be thick or ill-informed isn't really entertaining - it is possible to be funny whilst still knowing what you are talking about.  If they can't be arsed looking up the basics of the football tournaments they are commenting on, I've got better things to devote my time to.

What irritates me most is Tam Cowan's apparent delight in his own ignorance, lack of experience and unwillingness to experiment or broaden his horizons.
Even with Stuart Cosgrove dumbing down considerably - as listening to him on politics, cinema or current affairs will confirm he does for OTB, Tam's lack of education and backs-to-the-wall parochialism really jar.
Cosgrove studied in England, has travelled extensively, does his research ( cf his books, ) writes well and has been prominent in the arts for nearly forty years. Cowan recited Burns at primary school, went to college - while still staying at home, of course - for a week, did half an hour's stand-up in Wishaw ( or was it Bonkle? ) and writes in red tops about sausage suppers. He holidays in Florida and Vegas, ffs! He is the caricature of a W of S chancer whose lack of genuine ambition is a badge of honour. " Motherwell man and boy! " isn't necessarily a good thing, nor is it essential to being "the salt of the earth. "
( Maybe I am being hard on Tam's columns - never having read one.)
What I would like would be Stuart joining the Terrace boys to provide a grandfatherly angle to their show. He could keep up with the crack and fill in the odd gap where
" having been there " would add to the breadth of some of the pieces. It might also bring more old duffers like me to The Terrace!
Tam? I'm sure there's a BBC Scotland show there for him. "Old Crooners, Old Slappers and The Old Firm? " We wouldn't be duped into listening to it, but I'm sure there would be an audience. Chick could co-host. Tam is clearly in such awe of his brand and vintage of both humour and journalism, so a perfect match.

Tamthebam won a mug today for the Terracing Teaser.
It's no' me but a different guy. Raging! :lol:
To be fair his was a winning effort
Spoiler

The cnut

Terracing teaser is one of the better things on the show. I still like it and listen to the podcast, but i agree it needs updating.

How does Tam Cowan still not get that the vast majority of non Celtic and Sevco fans aren't arse sooking, craven, sycophantic bootlickers towards them like he is?

He said earlier that St Johnstone fans would be hitting the pubs to celebrate if they got a draw today. 

He also said that St Johnstone 'have no right' to even draw with Celtic.

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How does Tam Cowan still not get that the vast majority of non Celtic and Sevco fans aren't arse sooking, craven, sycophantic bootlickers towards them like he is?

He said earlier that St Johnstone fans would be hitting the pubs to celebrate if they got a draw today. 

He's a throwback by about 2 generations. He's a few years younger than me, but close enough. The impression I get is my generation were the first to break the "big team" mould. We hated both, but our Fathers would all have had a preference for one of the other. There's still a few my age if pressed will take a side when they play each other though. 

Thinking more about it, maybe I do favour Celtic. I hate them though and hope they lose every game including Europe. But I can hardly put in to words how much more I hate Rangers.

Last week, when rangers scored their third goal against his own team, he started going on about how much,, as a Motherwell fan, he was " frothing at the mouth about the prospect of the old firm game." An arse cheeks lickspittle, if ever there was one.