Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fucking hell, they've just asked if Hearts would be the first lower league team to win the Scottish Cup should they lift the trophy.
They even mentioned who Hearts are playing in the semi final.

If they’re talking about this years cup then we weren’t a lower league team for 2019/20 anyway

11 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If they’re talking about this years cup then we weren’t a lower league team for 2019/20 anyway

Yep..............one of the many aspects that these fannies - paid to at least have a modicum of knowledge about the game - did not consider.

Yep..............one of the many aspects that these fannies - paid to at least have a modicum of knowledge about the game - did not consider.

I’m not sure you’re quite getting the petty and ill-informed thing here - and also the fact they both knew exactly what they were implying given the timing of the cup final.

On another - and relayed to their conversation yesterday, which grounds can you still switch ends at half-time?
I know you can at Links Park.

Station Park, Glebe Park, Gayfield, Indodrill (Recreation Park, although for away fans there's only a limited area you can move to behind the goals at one end). Police Scotland, because they are ludicrously out of touch and have laughable 'intelligence' stopped us changing ends at Arbroath last season, despite us being able to do so on previous visits in the couple to few years before. Zero trouble at any game I've ever seen us play at Gayfield. In fact there's been zero trouble at almost every game I've seen us play.

It's technically possible at Balmoor but they don't allow it, or at least didn't last couple of times I was up.

Many other grounds allow you to stand behind one goal and almost the full length of the pitch, so you can change depending on your wants.

Edited by DA Baracus

You'll be welcome to swap ends at half-time once we're both back in League One. The Championship appears to be the line after which crowds have to be seperated more in case some well-'ard LADS decide to get pwopah nauw'y.

Fucking hell, they've just asked if Hearts would be the first lower league team to win the Scottish Cup should they lift the trophy.
They did say fairly soon afterwards that they were talking before the show about Hibs winning an all Championship final and they were also well aware of ICT's win over Falkirk. It sounds as though they were trying to get a response out of the listeners to get some chat going but just came across a bit daft.

My problem with the 'ill informed' stuff is that it comes across as not having a clue about most teams, and traditionally Off The Ball were on the side of the smaller and less fashionable teams. It seems like far too many teams aren't worth the effort and are below them.

It's even more galling when, Tam Cowan especially, can give some pretty detailed history about Celtic and dead Rangers (and Sevco to an extent), and does so very regularly.

The shift in the show over recent years to being far more sycophantic towards Celtic and Sevco does not help with the issue. They used to be very open against Celtic and dead Rangers, but since Tam Cowan got his arse kicked for his horrible sexist rant it's like the BBC have made them not only tone it down but to start being more and more crawling and sycophantic towards the two Glasgow bigots. 

tl/dr: The 'ill informed' stuff makes it seem like they can't be arsed with smaller teams whilst the show has moved more in line with BBC Scotland's policy of kissing the arse of Celtic and Sevco.

Edited by DA Baracus

15 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 25/07/2020 at 12:21, DA Baracus said:

They did say fairly soon afterwards that they were talking before the show about Hibs winning an all Championship final and they were also well aware of ICT's win over Falkirk. It sounds as though they were trying to get a response out of the listeners to get some chat going but just came across a bit daft.

Why did they mention the ICT win in that context?

They were in the top flight at the time.  In fact, they'd just finished 3rd in it.

Cowan is fucking clueless. He has absolutely no fucking idea what he's talking about. He's just busted out the pish about Brechin and the playoffs.

He's a lazy fool who hasn't done the merest bit of research on the topic and is just repeating the usual moronic nonsense.

But he'll be able to give you in depth details about old, dead Rangers.

Station Park, Glebe Park, Gayfield, Indodrill (Recreation Park, although for away fans there's only a limited area you can move to behind the goals at one end). Police Scotland, because they are ludicrously out of touch and have laughable 'intelligence' stopped us changing ends at Arbroath last season, despite us being able to do so on previous visits in the couple to few years before. Zero trouble at any game I've ever seen us play at Gayfield. In fact there's been zero trouble at almost every game I've seen us play.
It's technically possible at Balmoor but they don't allow it, or at least didn't last couple of times I was up.
Many other grounds allow you to stand behind one goal and almost the full length of the pitch, so you can change depending on your wants.

Changed ends at Balmoor last season

44 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Changed ends at Balmoor last season

33 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Never been a problem when I've been up either.

Our appalling hooligan support was denied this.

First of all, I love the programme, it’s part of my Saturday staple diet and if I miss it live, I get it on the podcast.

However, has the dynamic changed recently? Where’s Lewis McLeod and his impressions? 

And, Tam seems to be interrupting and shouting over Cosgrove recently. Some kind of power shift? Whose the senior presenter? 😂😂

And Cosgrove is losing it slightly. His memory is failing him and he got in a right grump after I pulled him up recently about his Billy Dodds comments and the fee Saintees apparently got from Aberdeen for him. Normally chats away on Twitter but not this time, then later that day on the evening show, said I’d been “hassling” him on social media.

Still love the programme and just my random thoughts 

Cowan is particularly rude. Constantly interrupting and talking over Cosgrove and guests.  And they both regularly  just make things up - certainly maintaining the ill-informed part of the show these days.

For years the show used to be standard pre-match but since the lockdown I progressively couldn't be bothered with them and especially Tam's total and unrelenting support for Hearts and finishing the season and I stopped listening. It may improve now that football is back. Cosgrove is alright  but Cowan irritates me.