Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, andrewh said:

Doesn’t matter if it’s 2019, we’re talking about OTB right now.
It’s a tired, dull format. Past its sell by date.
Often there are long periods of drivel with no mention of football. Some obscure guest or one of the two C’s havering about something from decades ago unrelated to the game.

That's the show. It's always been like that. 

So why not listen to another radio station or listen to a Scottish football podcast?

12 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Doesn’t matter if it’s 2019, we’re talking about OTB right now.
It’s a tired, dull format. Past its sell by date.
Often there are long periods of drivel with no mention of football. Some obscure guest or one of the two C’s havering about something from decades ago unrelated to the game.

It’s not a football show, it’s a chat show sometimes touching on football 

1 hour ago, andrewh said:

Highly qualified to comment.
Maybe she could write a song about it - it’d be like all her other songs: I wouldn’t listen to it either.
I thought there was a confidentiality clause?

The woman is a compulsive liar. 

If you have an AUX cable or bluetooth in your motor then anything you can listen to on a phone.
Specific examples? FWIW I listen to the Terrace and a few other podcasts, but there aren't any that I can think of that have the same premise as OTB (or at least used to), there is nothing live where you can get live updates on the early game or whatever, there's nothing that really previews games or what have you. You're also assuming everyone had a phone and internet access while driving to the game. The idea that there are lots of alternatives and that people should just stop listening isn't the full picture.

I don’t think it’s a sweeping generalisation to assume everyone has a phone ffs. You don’t need internet connection either as you can download podcasts. 

To be honest the alternative Scottish football podcasts are becoming pretty tedious already. Many have become exactly what they used to slate. 

Tried to listen to the Saturday Supplement this afternoon while doing some DIY and got a whole load of people talking about golf. Was the 5.30 show not on on Saturday evening?
It was on the other channel from whichever one you had on - digital or FM. I was doing my DIY also and they had Murdo McLeod on and 5 songs on for his career. He actually had some decent anecdotes but I didn't listen to all of it.

It's 2019 mate. If you don't like Off The Ball there's plenty of other options available. 
I would humbly suggest that it's Tam that needs reminded it's 2019, no me.
He seemed to have no idea yesterday why asking about whom Amy McDonald "used to winch" might be considered inappropriate, while his utter silence at the retaliatory question from Kirsty Wark about which comedian he used to go out with was cringe-inducing.
Billy Connolly's on his bucket list for guests - presumably because Bernard Manning and Royston Vasey are, for different reasons, unavailable.

I would humbly suggest that it's Tam that needs reminded it's 2019, no me.
He seemed to have no idea yesterday why asking about whom Amy McDonald "used to winch" might be considered inappropriate, while his utter silence at the retaliatory question from Kirsty Wark about which comedian he used to go out with was cringe-inducing.
Billy Connolly's on his bucket list for guests - presumably because Bernard Manning and Royston Vasey are, for different reasons, unavailable.

Kirsty Wark might want to have a word with her agent if that’s the kind of show she’s appearing on these days.

On 14/09/2019 at 14:24, Detournement said:

That's the show. It's always been like that. 

So why not listen to another radio station or listen to a Scottish football podcast?

Only it hasn't always  been like that. 

It actually used to be funny and entertaining. 

It was never particularly deep or controversial, but it was (or tried to be) just a bit alternative. Just a wee bit irreverent.  And that's why I used to listen to it.

It's now sounds like a contractual obligation between the Beeb and Stuart and Tam to churn out pre and post match guff loosely centred around Scottish football. 

It's  painful to listen to them. Cosgrove constantly interrupting, Cowan constantly interrupting.

Haven't listened to it for about six weeks now, feel so much better for it.

Has anything changed?

It's refreshing to have a Scottish Football show that isn't Bigot-Centric. Cowan and Cosgrove are brilliant duo and complement each other well. Cosgrove is very knowledgeable and articulate whilst Cowan is a bit thick but often hits a good one-liner and seems like a decent bloke.

I don't think there's been a single episode that i've heard where I haven't laughed at least once. The craic can be excellent and as a lover of puns, the "team of the week" usually serves up a few laughs. 

When you compare the show to it's competition (talksport, 5 live etv), it's the best show in it's class by a distance. 

5 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

It's refreshing to have a Scottish Football show that isn't Bigot-Centric. Cowan and Cosgrove are brilliant duo and complement each other well. Cosgrove is very knowledgeable and articulate whilst Cowan is a bit thick but often hits a good one-liner and seems like a decent bloke.

I don't think there's been a single episode that i've heard where I haven't laughed at least once. The craic can be excellent and as a lover of puns, the "team of the week" usually serves up a few laughs. 

When you compare the show to it's competition (talksport, 5 live etv), it's the best show in it's class by a distance. 

It used to be avowedly anti-OF.  It no longer is at all.

Cosgrove is a clever, capable bloke, but he's not remotely knowledgeable about football.  The amount of stuff the pair of them simply get wrong, is off the scale.

6 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

That post isn’t going to go down well here. I sort of agree with you, in that it’s ok now and again. I quite like listening to it and shouting at the radio at the horrendous bits when they happen. It’s a show about (usually) Scottish football and it’s on the national radio station, why wouldn’t anyone listen?

36 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The amount of stuff the pair of them simply get wrong, is off the scale.

It must have cost me a few quid texting in corrections over the years.

Still it's an easy listen while I'm skiddling in the kitchen on a Saturday. 

On 15/09/2019 at 22:02, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Cosgrove ruins it. Arrogant twat.

He has this awful habit of delaying the show and not letting anyone speak whilst he tries to think of the most intellectual word he can find.  It's as if he feels he's at a channel 4 executive meeting and wants to prove he belongs there.

I think he's actually alright in person, but it's a habit which makes him hard to listen to at times, and does come across as completely up himself.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Cosgrove is a clever, capable bloke, but he's not remotely knowledgeable about football. 

True. He comes out with stuff about Saints that is patently nonsense quite often. I get the impression he likes football 'culture' more than the actual intricacies of the game.

For all the above, I still think it's fairly entertaining, and will listen in on the way to an away game. 

The two guests on Saturday lunchtime were really good.