Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Usually it's fine background radio, but Chick Young made it almost un-listenable yesterday. Kept trying to chip in with comments that he thought were funny and turning any story he could into one about him. You can also tell that Tam Cowan hates having him there. Was he  not meant to have retired about 3 years ago anyway?

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Usually it's fine background radio, but Chick Young made it almost un-listenable yesterday. Kept trying to chip in with comments that he thought were funny and turning any story he could into one about him. You can also tell that Tam Cowan hates having him there. Was he  not meant to have retired about 3 years ago anyway?

Aye retired and then came back as a freelancer to line his pockets. I think Tam hates him as well because he asked him when he was retiring. Hopefully after his comments today he is publicly punted and has to going and join the gammons in a retirement village in Spain

4 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Aye retired and then came back as a freelancer to line his pockets. I think Tam hates him as well because he asked him when he was retiring. Hopefully after his comments today he is publicly punted and has to going and join the gammons in a retirement village in Spain

Cowan can't hide his contempt for Young. Just shows how much Cosgrove holds this show together as Cowan hasn't the discipline to stop interupting either. It was car crash radio.

Edited by Joe Terrapin
sp

29 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Did he say Rangers instead of Sevco?

It’s descended into nonsense. As with sportsound everyone talking at once so you can’t hear what anyone is saying. Tired format of old stories and silly opinions from cosgrove and cowan. Boring. Don’t listen very much any more.

• 4 weeks later...

Did I hear Tam Cowan properly earlier on?

I was just getting out the car so not sure, but he seemed to be saying that he was glad that Turnbull was heading to Celtic rather than England.

Inexplicable if true.  His OF pandering is getting right out of hand and represents a complete reversal of how he used to come across.

Quite enjoyed the section I heard earlier. Like the fact that the Scotland women's teams were rightly criticized for losing a three goal lead in such a short space of time against a team that were ranked significantly lower than them, pointing out the men's team would be slaughtered for doing the same. Much better than the patronising being done elsewhere.

And the talk about the Under 16s World Cup thirty years ago was good stuff too.

Summer Supplement? I tried my best to forgive last week's effort as it seemed aimed, primarily, at setting up the next few weeks.
Yesterday's tea-time show, however, was cringe inducing from beginning to end. Rambling, repetitive tripe. Almost had me yearning for Cowan's pish about five songs for a guest.
This pairing was once refreshing and entertaining. There is so much to talk about in Scottish football, as shown by the likes of The Terrace lads. Time, I'm afraid, for Stuart and Tam to think again or pack it in. At the very least, half an hour's preparation would help enormously.

On 22/06/2019 at 14:52, LeeVanTeeth said:

Quite enjoyed the section I heard earlier. Like the fact that the Scotland women's teams were rightly criticized for losing a three goal lead in such a short space of time against a team that were ranked significantly lower than them, pointing out the men's team would be slaughtered for doing the same. Much better than the patronising being done elsewhere.

I would have taken this more seriously if it had been coupled with a genuine support for the team or women's football in general at any point in Tam Cowans past announcements previous to the game. 

As it was, it was clearly someone delighted with the opportunity to slate them while wielding a supposedly even handed approach as an unconvincing shield from the kind of criticism he's received in the past. 

I do think that the team and management deserve to be criticised for last week's match - but the idea that that's what Cowan was doing is a bit naive IMO.

The BBC replied to my compliant on the 13th June after I thought Chick Chico Young was bang out of order saying that he would like to own Pamela Anderson. Here is the BBC's response:

"... we accept that on this occasion the comments made may have crossed the line and we have spoken to the programme’s presenters.

Much of the success of the show is down to its edgy, close to the knuckle humour and it is billed as the ‘most petty and ill-informed sports programme on radio’.

We appreciate that this isn’t to the tastes of all people. However, we do value audience feedback and appreciate your comments on the programme.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to contact us."

I'm not sure I would call off the ball edgy and being petty and ill-informed is no excuse in my opinion to talk about anyone as an object. Sadly it looks like Chico will get the gig again in the future.

Edited by Adam101

The BBC replied to my compliant on the 13th June after I thought Chick Chico Young was bang out of order saying that he would like to own Pamela Anderson. Here is the BBC's response:
... we accept that on this occasion the comments made may have crossed the line and we have spoken to the programme’s presenters.
Much of the success of the show is down to its edgy, close to the knuckle humour and it is billed as the ‘most petty and ill-informed sports programme on radio’.
We appreciate that this isn’t to the tastes of all people. However, we do value audience feedback and appreciate your comments on the programme.
Thank you, once again, for taking the time to contact us.

I'm not sure I would all off the ball edgy and being petty and ill-informed is no excuse in my opinion to talk about anyone as an object. Sadly it looks like Chico will get the gig again in the future.
That's a piss poor response/excuse even by bbc standards.
Im going to start saying whatever i want and if anyone questions me I'll say I'm edgy.

6 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

That's a piss poor response/excuse even by bbc standards.
Im going to start saying whatever i want and if anyone questions me I'll say I'm edgy.

The last bit was my response to their reply

4 hours ago, Adam101 said:

"... we accept that on this occasion the comments made may have crossed the line and we have spoken to the programme’s presenters.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to contact us."

I'm not sure I would call off the ball edgy and being petty and ill-informed is no excuse in my opinion to talk about anyone as an object. Sadly it looks like Chico will get the gig again in the future.

I don't know how you listened long enough to hear that though it is a valid complaint. If I turn it on and hear Chic's voice the radio gets immediately switched to another station.  The quality of the show has went downhill massively in the last few years, through laziness rather than anything else. Hawksbee and Jacobs the oasis of quality in the steaming turd that is Talksport have managed to put out a consistently entertaning irreverent show for a long time that is in the spirit that OTB used to be and is the standard they should be aspiring to.

37 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I don't know how you listened long enough to hear that though it is a valid complaint. If I turn it on and hear Chic's voice the radio gets immediately switched to another station.  The quality of the show has went downhill massively in the last few years, through laziness rather than anything else. Hawksbee and Jacobs the oasis of quality in the steaming turd that is Talksport have managed to put out a consistently entertaning irreverent show for a long time that is in the spirit that OTB used to be and is the standard they should be aspiring to.

I got in the car and he was explaining how he would like to own her, I noted the time and turned it off after Tam didn't call him out but was noticeably awkward

I got exactly the same e-mail response from the BBC as Adam 101 when I complained about the same programme. If the BBC think misogeny and homophobia are edgy and close to the knuckle humour it's no wonder paedophiles and sexual predators found a safe haven there for so long, with pay and expenses. I complained about Sportsound a couple of years ago and didn't receive a response. Tbf, my complaint simply amounted to "Willie Miller is a c**t." (He clearly isn't, he'd just wound me up to the point of a complete loss of reasonable thought). I then realised that this was probably being read by a 20 something unpaid intern hiding from sexual predators in a BBC cupboard somewhere thinking, "who the f**k is Willie Miller?"