Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you throw anything out?

Ach I do actually, I threw out 95%  of my old cassettes but I kept that. I was coming in to edit as I  just remembered that the tape was from the show 'Naked Radio'.  I think Tony Roper did some of the voices. It must have been 1986 as it was looking forward to the World Cup, and asking what changes Souness would make to the game. I seem to remember something about whether it would be a wind of change, or a stale belch :lol:

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I have an old cassette tape I got from a guy at work, taped off the radio about 1986 when Souness arrived. It’s what OAE grew from. It was a spoof of a 3-part tv series called “Only a Game” which featured the voice of Hugh McIlvanney. The tv series was serious nostalgic stuff which I may just have somewhere. OAE ripped the pish out of it and eventually grew into Johnny Watson’s tv version.

You can get the whole series on YouTube, although it's very grainy, and a pain in the arse to navigate as each episode ('The Club', 'The Manager', 'The Team' etc) is further subdivided into five parts or so and they appear in all sorts of random sequences. It is pretty self-important in tone but still well worth a watch - really interesting interviews with the likes of Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean at the height of their Scottish success, and archive interviews with Shankly, Busby and a range of great players.  

Link to Ep. 1 Part 1: 

2 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

You can get the whole series on YouTube, although it's very grainy, and a pain in the arse to navigate as each episode ('The Club', 'The Manager', 'The Team' etc) is further subdivided into five parts or so and they appear in all sorts of random sequences. It is pretty self-important in tone but still well worth a watch - really interesting interviews with the likes of Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean at the height of their Scottish success, and archive interviews with Shankly, Busby and a range of great players.  

Link to Ep. 1 Part 1: 

That cannae be a real voice at 3:27 surely?

Link to Ep. 1 Part 1: 

They are hosted in their entirety here on PnB! Give Div a shout for the link.

I mean of course OAE not OAG.

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That cannae be a real voice at 3:27 surely?

Jimmy Sandeson, the first of the phone in panelists when Radio Clyde first started doing it in the early 1980's..

His favourite retort/put down was, to an argumentative caller was..

"Were you at the game today caller?"

If not they were immediately branded a muppet for daring to opine on a match they couldn't be arsed attending :lol:

Sandeson died not long after that programme aired.

Guest Moomintroll
Jimmy Sandeson, the first of the phone in panelists when Radio Clyde first started doing it in the early 1980's..
If not they were immediately branded a muppet for daring to opine on a match they couldn't be arsed attending [emoji38]
He also enjoyed denying the use of mendacity.

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
17 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

He also enjoyed denying the use of mendacity.

"Are you accusing me of mendacity...?" :lol:

Truth was, no one would reply to that since they were unsure of it's meaning, in case it was some sort of sexual deviance involving transvestites and rolled up copies of the Scotsman. 

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

If not they were immediately branded a muppet for daring to opine on a match they couldn't be arsed attending :lol:

The Only an Excuse version had some bloke apologising for missing the game because he was at his wife's funeral.  Sandeson wasn't interested.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Thank god for Moray Firth Radio.

Theres a phrase I thought I would never type in response to a psychopath.

23 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Ok, just indulge me here. According to Wikipedia,  Off The Ball started in 1995.  I'm pretty sure it was on the go before that. Was it?  I distinctly remember making the tea while  listening to it in the early years of my first marriage, which would place it mid to late eighties. 

It certainly wasn't around in the 80s, but I remember something like it from slightly earlier than that Wiki date.

I'm sure I first heard Cowan making jokes in the aftermath of Rangers being eliminated from Europe by AEK Athens in, I think, 1994.  I'd thought that was OTB, but Cowan might have been a guest on something else.

It seems unlikely now, but OTB really was great for its first decade or so.  It was irreverent and its sketches were topical and sharp.  The avowedly anti-OF stance was sort of revolutionary, back when no other outlets for such feeling existed.

I loved it then, but now find it infuriating.

"Are you accusing me of mendacity...?" [emoji38]
Truth was, no one would reply to that since they were unsure of it's meaning, in case it was some sort of sexual deviance involving transvestites and rolled up copies of the Scotsman. 
"Your argument is specious!" was another favourite of his.