Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/24/2019 at 03:48, SlipperyP said:

Charles Bronson did NOT audition for the Monkees. He was in jail at the time.

They corrected it in the evening show. I think they said it was somebody from Crosby, Stills and Nash.

Edited by microdave

On 2/12/2019 at 18:05, NJ2 said:

Tbf, it’s not rotten. Tam and Stuart can get annoying but whenever I’ve listened it’s been fine, not what it used to be but fine. Definitely room for improvement but it’s lasted the test of time if nothing else.

No, it has not lasted the test of time. It's stuck in the 80's and has no intention of moving on. The shelf life has most definitely expired. 

The two of them are  quite happy where they are though, turning up for the easiest of gigs every Saturday and spouting pish. 

In a weird masochistic way I occasionally tune in but rarely last more than 5 minutes. The first 'BUUUT' from Cowan is usually the cue to switch off. 

Fat Tam and his sidekick were relevant in the80,s tbf

Tams taste in music is more 50,s or 60,s and at first I thought this was a put on just to be different but when he was questioned at a sportsman dinner he indicated it was genuine .

As for Cosgrove his egocentrism about when he was big in London/channel4 pish is tiring.

Having said all that it its better than the alternative. Just think what it would be like if we had to listen to 4 or 5 hours of Bonner, Miller , Young etc on a Saturday. The 3 that they are on is just about doable IMO 

2 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Tams taste in music is more 50,s or 60,s and at first I thought this was a put on just to be different but when he was questioned at a sportsman dinner he indicated it was genuine .

As for Cosgrove his egocentrism about when he was big in London/channel4 pish is tiring.

Having said all that it its better than the alternative. Just think what it would be like if we had to listen to 4 or 5 hours of Bonner, Miller , Young etc on a Saturday. The 3 that they are on is just about doable IMO 

His taste in music is genuine, fair enough.  It just confirms he's a dinosaur though.

Cosgrove is just patronising.  Off the scale patronising. 

You're right about the alternative. 

Why does that have to be the alternative? The BBC could get the Terrace podcast boys on for an hour or something.

On 11/02/2019 at 18:13, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

I'm pushing 60. I find him simultaneously crass, dull, sexist and stuck in the kind of 1970s vibe I found - you've guessed it - crass, dull and sexist then.
He's a genuine fan. I get this. The show was lively and refreshing 20 years ago. You know, before other genuine fans got mikes with the rise of the podcast. Many of them are refreshing, erudite and illuminative.
In his best moments, Cosgrove continues to offer insight; Cowan never has. And the format is as fresh and cutting edge as, well,
"Offside". What happened to it, and the hilariously named football mascot "Jock the Cock"?

I heard the bit yesterday when the discussed the Terrace podcast TV. It sounded a bit like damming it with faint praise and suggesting that each programme style was dictated by the viewed or listener.

Guest Moomintroll
He’s the same age as Dave Grohl.

OTB started in 1995 a year after the Foo Fighters
That is fucking spectacular as a point of reference.

No, it has not lasted the test of time. It's stuck in the 80's and has no intention of moving on. The shelf life has most definitely expired. 
The two of them are  quite happy where they are though, turning up for the easiest of gigs every Saturday and spouting pish. 
In a weird masochistic way I occasionally tune in but rarely last more than 5 minutes. The first 'BUUUT' from Cowan is usually the cue to switch off. 

Oldbitterandgrumpy you say? While I don’t disagree it’s far worse than it was, it literally has lasted the test of time. It’s been on 20 year or something and folk still listen...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Listening to last Saturdays one now and Craig Browns defence of the Scotland team and the SFA is absolutely car crash stuff. Always liked the guy and felt sorry that he just happened to be booked after Scotlands worst result in history but his reasoning is horrific stuff.

On 3/28/2019 at 18:17, gannonball said:

Listening to last Saturdays one now and Craig Browns defence of the Scotland team and the SFA is absolutely car crash stuff. Always liked the guy and felt sorry that he just happened to be booked after Scotlands worst result in history but his reasoning is horrific stuff.

I listened to the podcast and thought the same thing.  He's always the same though - he's part of that club, he'll always back his pals to the hilt.  Every manager Scotland have had he's defended even when they're indefensible.  To be honest I'm not even sure it's right to have him on anymore - he pronounced Kazakhstan wrong numerous times (Kazyastan?) and when he was on the show a few months back claimed that while Scotland had lost to Georgia, Georgia had a population of 35 million.  The population of Georgia is 3.5 million.

Edited by Highland Capital

A View From The Terrace has show (me at least) how terrible Off The Ball really is.

Different mediums of course, but consumed next to each other it becomes blatantly obvious.

“Media” you c*nt.
You dare to adopt the persona of a legendary yuppie 80’s serial killer, yet have pathetic grammar skills........how very dare you !