Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

I know statistically it is more likely that there are Rangers and Celtic supporters on the show, but I'm bored of Celtic fans coming on and wanging on about Postecoglu 

I’m quite enjoying hearing at every turn about how Big Ange really “gets” the club etc. It just reminds me so much of the pish they used to spout about Rodgers shortly before he fucked off to a bigger club. Scenes when Postecoglu  jumps ship for Bournemouth or wherever in the summer. 

7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I have a feeling that Bradshaw's stand up career is in a place where it's about to really take off, therefore the chances of him being available every weekend are very slim (fortunately for him, unfortunately for us).

Yeah I was thinking this aswell. 

He's really good and I think they could get better guests with him at the helm. Amy Irons could also be a good sidekick for him. 

Stuart and Tam would actually be good as regular guests rather than hosts when you think about it. 

22 minutes ago, andyg83 said:

Yeah I was thinking this aswell. 

He's really good and I think they could get better guests with him at the helm. Amy Irons could also be a good sidekick for him. 

Stuart and Tam would actually be good as regular guests rather than hosts when you think about it. 

I don’t think Bradshaw’s that good. He’s fine, he’s a competent presenter, he’s fairly knowledgeable about the game in a number of ways that Stuart & Tam aren’t (lower leagues etc) but I’d just expect a comedian to be a bit… funnier.

He’s very vanilla. I get comedy is all very inoffensive at the minute, but I’m not sure that approach really works very well with football, when you’re being nice about other teams and their fans. I prefer a bit of (good-natured) needle. 

11 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

I don’t think Bradshaw’s that good. He’s fine, he’s a competent presenter, he’s fairly knowledgeable about the game in a number of ways that Stuart & Tam aren’t (lower leagues etc) but I’d just expect a comedian to be a bit… funnier.

He’s very vanilla. I get comedy is all very inoffensive at the minute, but I’m not sure that approach really works very well with football, when you’re being nice about other teams and their fans. I prefer a bit of (good-natured) needle. 

This. I never get the love for Bradshaw (although admit he’s a decent presenter so to speak - he’s just not funny though)

6 hours ago, razamanaz said:

Was looking forward to the show today to hear Big Nat Smartarse Cosgrove ignore the mess Nicola mas made of things!

But he's no there and it's all aboot snooker - so turned it aff - most boring game in the world

Bowls or golf must run it close. 

On 13/04/2023 at 22:05, Junior_Arab said:

Agree completely. He's utterly inoffensive and probably a very nice man, but he's a bit nice for it.

In the old days of OTB (back when it was really good) that underlying good-natured needle was part of what made it so good. Everyone got the pish ripped out them, and that was fine. They would routinely sail close to the wind and it made it very funny.

It's partly to do with the outraged online mob whipped up o Twitter, which obviously didn't exist in the 90s, and partly a cultural move towards 'nicer' comedy, but a show like OTB at its peak would have a lot of complaints these days.

28 minutes ago, ropy said:

Are there any recordings from the good old days to see if it actually was as good as we think it was, maybe it’s us who have changed.

Often thought about that. An hour or two show with some classic clips (burger van lady, classic nicknames, guests getting riled etc) would be tremendous.

12 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Often thought about that. An hour or two show with some classic clips (burger van lady, classic nicknames, guests getting riled etc) would be tremendous.

Or Stuart talking about soul music and Tam talking about the 91 Cup Final, and how Paul Daniels saved his life.

Oh, wait...

39 minutes ago, ropy said:

Are there any recordings from the good old days to see if it actually was as good as we think it was, maybe it’s us who have changed.

The fact that it still gets 2 hours on both Saturdays and Sundays would suggest that listening figures remain pretty high. I still rarely miss an episode and find myself laughing out loud every week.

If Stuart was to wind down or chuck it then I think a HIGNFY-style rotation of presenters would work well. Sutherland, McLaughlin, Bradshaw, etc and maybe the odd curveball ex-pro (Levein? McFadden?). Has Craig Telfer presented yet? Thought they might have given him a shot.

11 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The fact that it still gets 2 hours on both Saturdays and Sundays would suggest that listening figures remain pretty high. I still rarely miss an episode and find myself laughing out loud every week.

If Stuart was to wind down or chuck it then I think a HIGNFY-style rotation of presenters would work well. Sutherland, McLaughlin, Bradshaw, etc and maybe the odd curveball ex-pro (Levein? McFadden?). Has Craig Telfer presented yet? Thought they might have given him a shot.

This would be great. 

30 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I’m sure they said themselves not too long ago that they got about the highest number of listeners on Radio  Scotland or something like that??? 🤷‍♂️ 

And credit where credit’s due, after I said previously that I didn’t think Ray Bradshaw was particularly funny on the show, I only just heard the one he did a couple of weeks ago with Mark Nelson and I thought they worked well together - they’re obviously good pals and the dynamic just felt a bit more free flowing. 

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I think Cowan got a bit of online heat from at least some of the Terrace lads about the Marvin Bartley thing, and we all know how thin skinned he is…

Terrace lads seem to hold themselves up as experts on the Scottish game, rather than “petty and ill informed” - just feels like a totally different dynamic so I’m not sure there’ll ever be any crossover there.

• 3 weeks later...