Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

Sorry to bring it back to OtB, but does anyone know is the move to one podcast a weekend a permanent thing? Or was there just not two podcasts worth of content the last few weeks?

I’ve never listened to the podcast, they post the 2 hour shows on BBC Sounds and I get through them during the week.  Does the podcast format make it zippy and fast moving? 

27 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

He is the most capped Scottish goalkeeper, he is the second most capped Scottish footballer, he won countless trophies including two European trophies, but he can’t be considered a “great" You have high standards.

It wasn't me who said he  'couldn't handle crosses'. Jim Leighton is an irrelevance here. I'm disputing the description of 'great' alongside 'cant handle crosses'. A goalkeeper, any goalkeeper cannot be both .I've got vertigo so I can't possibly be a 'great steeplejack' . 

Edited by kennie makevin
Typo

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I’ve never listened to the podcast, they post the 2 hour shows on BBC Sounds and I get through them during the week.  Does the podcast format make it zippy and fast moving? 

The podcast is the whole of the shows from both Saturday and Sunday.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

It wasn't me who said he  'couldn't handle crosses'. Jim Leighton is an irrelevance here. I'm disputing the description of 'great' alongside 'cant handle crosses'. A goalkeeper, any goalkeeper cannot be both .I've got vertigo so I can't possibly be a 'great steeplejack' . 

Ok, let’s look at the evidence (in the style of Loyd Grossman à la Through The Keyhole)

I think Jim can be considered to be a great because, among other things,

1. Most capped goalkeeper in Scottish mens football history. 

2. Second most capped player in Scottish mens football history.

3. Won countless trophies (I could count them but can’t be bothered) including two European trophies.

Kennie doesn’t think Jim can be considered a great because,

1. Posters on P&B say that he couldn’t handle crosses.

Who lives in a house like this?

So, OTB ... The original concept was good - an irreverent, often funny fan-centric view of the game which wasn't overly dominated by sad boring OF stuff.  It captured the daft essence of what took many of us (ie non glory hunting OF types) to watch often batshit crazy dodgy quality Scottish league fitba Saturday after Saturday when many more sensible options were out there.

I used to always tune in driving to Saturday games and have a laugh along the way.  But its being going for years now and like all things it gets stale.  So although the concept is still OK it needs freshening up and new presenters should be the place to start.  I rarely listen to OTB now - I got fed up listening to how tough it was for Cosgrove growing up in the "notorious" Perth schemes, and Cowan's tales of the Wishaw chippy clientele - never mind some of the stranger views he spouts these days.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hearing more anecdotes about St Johnstone and The Well - so much more refreshing to hear stories about our less celebrated clubs, but there are more clubs of that ilk out there too guys.  Cut to the chase ... some new, fresh and younger faces are required for the presenters who are more in tune with today's fitba going public (like what the guys on A View From The Terrace do for example).  Keep it funny, keep it irreverent, and above all don't take yourselves too seriously ... but freshen it up, eh?

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Ok, let’s look at the evidence (in the style of Loyd Grossman à la Through The Keyhole)

3. Won countless trophies (I could count them but can’t be bothered) including two European trophies.

Comprehension not your best subject at school ?? At no stage have I given my opinion on the greatness or otherwise of Jim Leighton. I have merely asked how the words 'great goalkeeper' and 'cant handle crosses' could be attributed to the same person. Whether or not Jim could 'handle crosses' or was or was not 'a great keeper' isn't something I have given an opinion on. My opinion was only that a great goalkeeper can , by definition, 'handle crosses'.  You're thin skinned desperation to see a slight against a favourite of yours where none exists is almost Celticesque in its paranoid delusion.

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

The two shows add up to 240 minutes but the podcast is 70 minutes?

Ah, I thought that I have been listening to the podcasts but obviously not. I get them downloaded to My Sounds on BBC Sounds and these are the entire shows. My mistake.

10 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Comprehension not your best subject at school ?? At no stage have I given my opinion on the greatness or otherwise of Jim Leighton. I have merely asked how the words 'great goalkeeper' and 'cant handle crosses' could be attributed to the same person. Whether or not Jim could 'handle crosses' or was or was not 'a great keeper' isn't something I have given an opinion on. My opinion was only that a great goalkeeper can , by definition, 'handle crosses'.  You're thin skinned desperation to see a slight against a favourite of yours where none exists is almost Celticesque in its paranoid delusion.

If “thin skinned desperation” is presenting a number of facts to try to prove a point, then I’m guilty m’lud.

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

He is the most capped Scottish goalkeeper, he is the second most capped Scottish footballer, he won countless trophies including two European trophies, but he can’t be considered a “great”. You have high standards.

Under different circumstances I believe Craig Gordon ( maybe Goram as well ) would have earned more caps

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

1 ) does not prove anything

2 ) as above.

3 ) Mmmm !

24 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Under different circumstances I believe Craig Gordon ( maybe Goram as well ) would have earned more caps

Under different circumstances Aberdeen would have won the league in 1971 and 1991. But they didn’t.

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

So, OTB ... The original concept was good - an irreverent, often funny fan-centric view of the game which wasn't overly dominated by sad boring OF stuff.  It captured the daft essence of what took many of us (ie non glory hunting OF types) to watch often batshit crazy dodgy quality Scottish league fitba Saturday after Saturday when many more sensible options were out there.

I used to always tune in driving to Saturday games and have a laugh along the way.  But its being going for years now and like all things it gets stale.  So although the concept is still OK it needs freshening up and new presenters should be the place to start.  I rarely listen to OTB now - I got fed up listening to how tough it was for Cosgrove growing up in the "notorious" Perth schemes, and Cowan's tales of the Wishaw chippy clientele - never mind some of the stranger views he spouts these days.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hearing more anecdotes about St Johnstone and The Well - so much more refreshing to hear stories about our less celebrated clubs, but there are more clubs of that ilk out there too guys.  Cut to the chase ... some new, fresh and younger faces are required for the presenters who are more in tune with today's fitba going public (like what the guys on A View From The Terrace do for example).  Keep it funny, keep it irreverent, and above all don't take yourselves too seriously ... but freshen it up, eh?

AVFTT isn't funny either though. 

21 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

AVFTT isn't funny either though. 

Think I mentioned AVFTT purely as an example of younger, fresher presenters, wasn't really saying they were funnier ... or that they should be the replacements. Not sure who should take over, but change is needed.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Think I mentioned AVFTT purely as an example of younger, fresher presenters, wasn't really saying they were funnier ... or that they should be the replacements. Not sure who should take over, but change is needed.

Ray Bradshaw's good any time he's on, especially when paired with Cosgrove. Not sure who you'd pair him with if both C&C were losing the gig.