Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, King Ian said:

He was referring to cheating on your partner, and actually addressed the subject of threatening women differently.

The statement addressing that part was ‘life moves on’ and ‘no one knows what you or I have done’ as if that changes anything about what I’ve said. Weird.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

As far as I know, he hasn't done any of these things, indeed I heard him speak about it a couple of years ago and his response was basically along the lines of "don't believe everything you hear", even though he was literally convicted.

It doesn't make him any less right here, but it's always going to give racists an opportunity to undermine his (correct) points.

Which is my point. His history and failure to accept responsibility for it undermines the absolutely correct message he is giving on racism. Poor choice as SFA equality advisor for that reason.

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Which is my point. His history and failure to accept responsibility for it undermines the absolutely correct message he is giving on racism. Poor choice as SFA equality advisor for that reason.

Undermines the message he is giving out on racism?

That’s just a nonsense statement to be making 

Bartley is obviously a dick but that doesn't bar him from making statements about racism, especially in a personal capacity.

The kindest interpretation is Cowan played the man and not the ball and he's made a c**t of it.

He's a man with a history of equivocating actual bigotry with fat,speccy,bald and ginger jokes though.

Edited by invergowrie arab

14 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Undermines the message he is giving out on racism?

That’s just a nonsense statement to be making 

When he accused Cowan of bullying him, he said he would continue to call out ALL forms of discrimination, a bit difficult with his history.

The fact, within a relationship, he felt able to be abusive and intimidating should make him unfit for the role of equality advisor. The bar to even get these matters into court is quite high. Previously someone made the point that we all may have done things in our life that we're not proud of - perhaps, but what percentage of the population have a conviction for intimidating and threatening a woman, yet someone with this record is equality advisor? Make it make sense.

Edited by Hendo

5 minutes ago, Hendo said:

When he accused Cowan of bullying him, he said he would continue to call out ALL forms of discrimination, a bit difficult with his history.

The fact, within a relationship, he felt able to be abusive and intimidating should make him unfit for the role of equality advisor. The bar to even get these matters into court is quite high. Previously someone made the point that we all may have done things in our life that we're not proud of - perhaps, but what percentage of the population have a conviction for intimidating and threatening a woman, yet someone with this record is equality advisor? Make it make sense.

Nice attempt at distraction from the topic at hand 

None of the above has to do with racism 

Pathetic whataboutery 

43 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The statement addressing that part was ‘life moves on’ and ‘no one knows what you or I have done’ as if that changes anything about what I’ve said. Weird.

I thought you said it was too long and you didn’t read it?

42 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

He's right, and he called it grim too.

It's certainly not the same as you claimed, which was:

"The implication that ‘who amongst us hasn’t been convicted of threatening a woman?!?!’ or similar acts."

20 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I thought you said it was too long and you didn’t read it?

Wow you’ve really caught me out here. 268705B6-EA45-4486-8BB9-544EA60E7EA9.png.5c0cd56e3414956262ae33301ba095a5.png

19 minutes ago, King Ian said:

He's right, and he called it grim too.

It's certainly not the same as you claimed, which was:

"The implication that ‘who amongst us hasn’t been convicted of threatening a woman?!?!’ or similar acts."

What are you on about? The implication of saying that ‘no one knows what you’ve done’ is that we’ve all done similarly bad things. We haven’t. You’d be happy for someone with that conviction to date your sister/daughter/friend? 

11 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Just to go back to the usual bashing.... On Sunday's show, I thought it was pretty obvious from the outside of Cosgrove's question that Steve Nichol was not at the 1998 World Cup 🙄😤

FFS, why is that name so difficult for people to spell correctly.

16 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Wow you’ve really caught me out here. 268705B6-EA45-4486-8BB9-544EA60E7EA9.png.5c0cd56e3414956262ae33301ba095a5.png

What are you on about? The implication of saying that ‘no one knows what you’ve done’ is that we’ve all done similarly bad things. We haven’t. You’d be happy for someone with that conviction to date your sister/daughter/friend? 

That's not the implication of saying that at all.

9 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

It was @DA Baracus but I don’t even know if he went at Cowan particularly hard. Cowan I think went off about it on OTB. 

I also annoyed him (although I didn't get a namecheck)

It was when Div was on and I posted in this thread "who's this boring fud they've got on today" as a wee dig at our glorious St Mirren supporting overlord (Div, you're great when you're on ;))

The subtlety was lost on Tam as he was heard to refer to my post on P&B and moaned about not being able to please some folk 

I had a wee chuckle at that one