Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's not overlooking it, but it's standard practice to dig up dirt from somebody's past to make out whatever they're saying isn't worth bothering about. 

47 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Defending Bartley is like defending Jimmy Savile because he raised lots of money for charity.

Oooft.

50 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Cowan really didnt do any of that. He pointed out that the initial investigation had not found evidence of racism, as claimed by Bartley, and asked him to apologise. This is not quite undermining anti racist initiatives.

The only person who could've been considered anywhere close to due an apology if  there hadn't been a racist insult shouted would've been Jair Tavares for any unnecessary alarm or stress it had caused him.

An activist or advisor in this context flags up potential racist incidents at football matches. They don't make claims against entire institutions ("Dundee Utd" according to Cowan) and implying they do absolutely undermines the process. 

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Defending Bartley is like defending Jimmy Savile because he raised lots of money for charity.

So you've put here that defending Bartley's right to carry out his antiracism role unimpeded is the same as defending a mass child rapist.

All Cowan had to do was make a full and direct public apology to Bartley instead of that insipid politician's dribble that he might have received wrong information and if so he was sorry for any upset caused.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

So you've put here that defending Bartley's right to carry out his antiracism role unimpeded is the same as defending a mass child rapist.

I didnt do any of that. My comparison was those who say "look at Marv, a great campaigner against discrimination" while ignoring his own mysogyny for which he has a criminal conviction and to my knowledge has never apologised. Sorry if the nuance was lost on you.

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

How long does Bartley need to go on though before it's clear he's grown as a person beyond his conviction, nearly 6 years ago. He seems to have learned from it and took it on the chin

I hope these aren't his words.

On another note, the current manger at your club seems to have rehabilitated himself without attracting controversy.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I hope these aren't his words.

On another note, the current manger at your club seems to have rehabilitated himself without attracting controversy.

It's helped by the fact he doesn't shy away from it, even when people make jokes about it. Just being up front and honest can get people a long way

Just now, ATLIS said:

It's helped by the fact he doesn't shy away from it, even when people make jokes about it. Just being up front and honest can get people a long way

Does he not participate in helping others affected by his previous conviction?

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Does he not participate in helping others affected by his previous conviction?

Yeah, I'm aware that he does visits to prisons and gives talks there too. He's probably done most in Scotland by this point. 

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Even if Bartley had accused a united fan or fans of racism I wouldn't be bothered because I'm not a racist and there are racist united fans.

A key point, and all too often tribalism comes first, but for me once you start openly lobbing racist abuse about, you really should lose the right be known as "Dundee United* fan...." and simply be known as someone who has been banned from football grounds as a racist.

*other clubs are available, and the idea I should feel some solidarity with someone like that because they picked the same team as me is insulting. 

8 hours ago, ATLIS said:

How long does Bartley need to go on though before it's clear he's grown as a person beyond his conviction, nearly 6 years ago. He seems to have learned from it and took it on the chin

This is absolutely a fair point about rehabilitation. However, has he learned from it? Has he been on awareness courses, spoken publicly of his remorse, done work with Womens Aid? If any of that has happened, he seems to have kept it very quiet. 

You might ask why does he need to do this publicly - he perhaps wouldn't if he didnt claim he would challenge discrimination everywhere while not talking about his own past. This is the issue - hypocrisy.