Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

899 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, CoF said:

I’ve always quite liked Tam Cowan but he’s acting like a right weirdo on his Instagram. As a few have said, a guy with the reach of Tam Cowan should be handling this with a bit of sensitivity. 

The absolute delight from some that Marvin Bartley got it wrong is quite telling.

I don't have a lot of time for Marvin Bartley for his contributions on Sportscene and Superscoreboard. On TV he's extremely bland and, like other footballers still plying their trade in Scottish football, provides little in their views. On Superscoreboard he comes across as a bit of an arse. On the plus side, a few years ago when he was at Hibs I was keen for Aberdeen to try to sign him.

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Describing himself as "A polite young gentleman".😃.

Whilst excusing himself of some pretty troubling behaviour.

Why is this guy the advisor to anyone about anything after a court appearance of that nature?

At least he threatened her and her family politely, though.

Aye, Bartley has a (criminally)nasty streak in him, as that conviction shows. I'll put that to the side for now, though, as I'm just looking to comment narrowly on this Tavares clip-Bartley tweet-Cowan response thing.

It's maybe possible for Bartley to contact the SFA privately with a concern like that Tavares clip, then for the SFA to privately contact the relevant people at the clubs involved and for those clubs to then do their investigations. The results are found and all is relayed back to the SFA and Bartley, at which point public announcements are made if there's been wrongdoing. I don't know if that's how it works, though. There's maybe not a smooth and efficient existing pathway like that for dealing with such incidents. Maybe a public tweet is the way to get the wheels turning on it. 

I didn't listen to Cowan's take on the radio and I haven't read his Instagram post(s) so I'm just going to go on what I've read above instead. If he's asked for an apology from an antiracism activist, I don't understand who he thinks is due that apology and why. The apology demand also conveys the feeling that antiracism activists require extra scrutiny applied to them, that we're to be vigilant with antiracism as if it's an analogue to racism. Then it ignores all the hostility and suspicion which public antiracism activists are already subject to. 

Edit: Bit vague on my preferred outcome there so here it is. Bartley - see if he can find a path for future incidents where public statements are only made once wrongdoing has been established. Cowan - think carefully on which currents of thought his responses add to and be sure he's not contributing to the wrong ones.

Edited by FreedomFarter

7 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Why is this guy the advisor to anyone about anything after a court appearance of that nature?

The Caribbean is the historical home of anti-racism. Think Marcus Garvey from Jamaica or Frantz Fanon from Martinique. Even many of the famous continental North American activists had Caribbean links, Malcolm X's mother was a Grenadian immigrant to USA, for example. So you tend to find that folk with Caribbean cultural heritage have a particularly strong understanding of and passion for anti-racism. Bartley is from Jamaican family. If the SFA could've found someone of Bartley's profile but without his criminal conviction, they'd maybe have given that person the role ahead of Bartley but presumably there was no such candidate. It's also possible Bartley has a sincere level of remorse about what he did which comes across in private conversation.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

I didn't listen to Cowan's take on the radio and I haven't read his Instagram post(s) so I'm just going to go on what I've read above instead. If he's asked for an apology from an antiracism activist, I don't understand who he thinks is due that apology and why. The apology demand also conveys the feeling that antiracism activists require extra scrutiny applied to them, that we're to be vigilant with antiracism as if it's an analogue to racism. Then it ignores all the hostility and suspicion which public antiracism activists are already subject to. 

It was fucking weird. Not just asking for an apology, think screenshots of Bartleys twitter statement followed by four Pinocchio emojis 🤥, tagging the Dundee United instagram page. Then screenshot some of the replies on here claiming those folk think it’s fine to be falsely accused of racism. 

Dunno if they just timed out, but they disappeared earlier than I expected today. He might have come to his senses. 

11 minutes ago, CoF said:

It was fucking weird. Not just asking for an apology, think screenshots of Bartleys twitter statement followed by four Pinocchio emojis 🤥, tagging the Dundee United instagram page. Then screenshot some of the replies on here claiming those folk think it’s fine to be falsely accused of racism. 

Dunno if they just timed out, but they disappeared earlier than I expected today. He might have come to his senses. 

He was acting as if it was some kind of “gotcha” moment 

You can be critical of Bartley for going studs in on the accusation when it was clear that it wasn't aimed at Tavares as anyone who knew about broadcasting (which being a regular pundit Bartley would) could tell that the mic was in the away end.

As a society, I'd rather we'd be too vigilant on this and occasionally jump the gun than the opposite as racism is still clearly prevalent in our society, but I digress.

However, the way Tam Cowan went about it was completely wild. His instagram stories are absolute murder, and even today have seen several stories from this thread on there (Hi Tam if you're reading 🙋‍♂️). Usually it's just kinda cringey da patter but recently really seems to have gone down a very bizarre route.

He has a weird beef with Eilidh Barbour - who I think most people would think is very good at what she does and probably one of the best things about Sky's coverage. All of which seems to stem from the SFWA a few months back and a bunch of (old, white, male) journos seem to be always ready to stick the boot in at her as some weird sort of revenge.

The whole thing reeks of shite cliquieness and is utterly embarrassing.

The silver lining I suppose is that half of this bumbling old Bill Leckie types are on their way out of the journo game, as they become increasingly less relevant.

Edited by Ray Patterson

Thought I'd give it a listen today  as saw that Tam Cowan isn't on.

Sounds like an episode of Sportsound given how much they've discussed Celtic and Sevco. A pathetic capitulation and sell out from a show who were once proudly anti old firm and discussed other teams, often in the lower leagues.

Not a bit of it today. Just wall to wall Sevco and Celtic chat. Even the VAR chat was mainly in the context of the Celtic game.

36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Thought I'd give it a listen today  as saw that Tam Cowan isn't on.

Sounds like an episode of Sportsound given how much they've discussed Celtic and Sevco. A pathetic capitulation and sell out from a show who were once proudly anti old firm and discussed other teams, often in the lower leagues.

Not a bit of it today. Just wall to wall Sevco and Celtic chat. Even the VAR chat was mainly in the context of the Celtic game.

Give it a rest, it is a great show today.

S Cosgrove is off the leash and giving it large with political polemic.

Hugh MacDonald is always an interesting listen.

13 minutes ago, sophia said:

Give it a rest, it is a great show today.

S Cosgrove is off the leash and giving it large with political polemic.

Hugh MacDonald is always an interesting listen.

Oh I certainly gave it a rest. Turned it off after the first hour. Maybe it picked up in the second hour, but I wasn't going to stick around for it after the incessant Celtic/Sevco chat.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Oh I certainly gave it a rest. Turned it off after the first hour. Maybe it picked up in the second hour, but I wasn't going to stick around for it after the incessant Celtic/Sevco chat.

I listened  in because Tam was away and thought Saturday was ok - a bit much var chat but to be expected But Sunday was another story.  Hugh McDonald was murder. Everything that is wrong about the 'old firm' in Scottish football wrapped up in a p***kly bow of his own self importance.