Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are their LPs as good as Marquee Moon by Television ? Stranded by Roxy Music  ? Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely  ? Revolver by The Beatles ? Get Happy by Elvis Costello & The Attractions ?  If not I don't really have time. Experience has told me that Scottish pop music is like Scottish football. Not in the same class as that from elsewhere. But good luck to him, he certainly doesn't need my endorsement any more than Lewis Capaldi does.

You don't have time to try something new? Give Mogwai a bash, you might like it. If you don't, just try something different.

I don't think you can easily dismiss Stuart Braithwaite as a non-entity. He's made a fairly abiding impact on the modern musical culture of our country:

25-years as a touring musician, typically playing arenas like Barrowlands or Alexandra Palace to big and indeed growing crowds.

Their last album - As the love continues - was their first UK No.1 album.

He's scored films and TV programmes. Most famously the Douglas Gordon film Zidane.

Rock Action, his music label, have introduced various Scottish Album of the Year nominated albums.

He's just released his autobiography Spaceships over Glasgow, and just this week had a tour of venues promoting its release. I was part of a sold out crowd at Monorail.

Here's a picture of the promo CD of his musical influences, which he gave away that night. I suspect his musical taste may be closer to your own than you'd given him credence for?

I'm a total Mogwai fanboy, so I'm hardly impartial on this, but I hope my intro has given you pause to rethink your "non-entity" comment as slightly ill informed, at best.

He might not be to your taste, but he doesn't deserve being written off as some light pop act who will flash by.

Go on, try them.

ea8ec14ca3adfeb17dedaebe2d8ff321.jpg35336d0fd7e9b2629739a09ef12f2463.jpg

20 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

What with the whole “if you know the answer to this question, send us an email” patter from Cowan?

Today he asked listeners to email what Meatloaf’s real name is. Has his producer not got the ability to carry out a 10 second Google search for him?

Every week they’re asking folk to email answers to random questions that could be done in seconds themselves.

Ach I'm not too bothered about the "easily Googled"stuff.. everyone does it. But I agree in principal with what you are saying 

I felt Tam was a bit quick to go in studs-up on Marvin Bartley for mistakingly hearing a racist shout from the crowd. It wasn't clear cut from the audio, but if you've spent your life with people judging you by the colour of your skin, a bit of lee-way/sensitivity is required. Calling for Bartley to come on and apologise.... FFS. 

31 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I felt Tam was a bit quick to go in studs-up on Marvin Bartley for mistakingly hearing a racist shout from the crowd. It wasn't clear cut from the audio, but if you've spent your life with people judging you by the colour of your skin, a bit of lee-way/sensitivity is required. Calling for Bartley to come on and apologise.... FFS. 

Totally agree. Cowan was way over the top about it. Never ever hear him asking anyone to apologise for sectarianism.

7 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

He really seems to have a issue with Bartley. Making a point of asking him to apologise live on radio and then plastering his tweets on his instagram. He's been on here and posting your comments on his instagram as well, deary me.

Fair enough if Bartley has got it wrong but it's complete ignorance from Cowan, unsurprising. A white privileged man calling for an apology from a black man who has experienced racism his whole life. A little sensitivity as to why he may react that way when listening to that audio.

It reminds me of the famous James Baldwin quote to a white woman : "I don't know you personally, but I know you historically" Give this a watch Tam, enlighten yourself.

3 hours ago, eaglesham2203 said:

He really seems to have a issue with Bartley. Making a point of asking him to apologise live on radio and then plastering his tweets on his instagram. He's been on here and posting your comments on his instagram as well, deary me.

Fair enough if Bartley has got it wrong but it's complete ignorance from Cowan, unsurprising. A white privileged man calling for an apology from a black man who has experienced racism his whole life. A little sensitivity as to why he may react that way when listening to that audio.

It reminds me of the famous James Baldwin quote to a white woman : "I don't know you personally, but I know you historically" Give this a watch Tam, enlighten yourself.

I would imagine that Cowan's problem with Marvin Bartley is that he is Eilidh Barbour's partner.

I’ve always quite liked Tam Cowan but he’s acting like a right weirdo on his Instagram. As a few have said, a guy with the reach of Tam Cowan should be handling this with a bit of sensitivity. 

The absolute delight from some that Marvin Bartley got it wrong is quite telling.

On 31/08/2022 at 16:39, DiegoDiego said:

These are the three teas I'm currently quaffing. From top to bottom they are an oolong (da hong pao) a black (Yunnan golden needle) and a green (long jing).
They're all very different and you get far more range in tea than you do coffee. Good quality tea has very little astringency or bitterness. You get very fragrant almost floral teas, deep malty teas and woody earthy teas like a ten year old pu'er. There's something for everyone and unlike having a nice range of good whisky at home, the tea equivalent can be achieved for very little money. e31cc47b6cd3bb2babb124e8798442c8.jpg

images.jpeg-8.jpg

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

On 15/10/2022 at 12:42, kennie makevin said:

"Who did Robbie Coltrane really support ?" and Stuart telling us about some nonentity going into Glasgow to buy a Cure LP with "a ten bob note".... They're firing on all cylinders today !

How does someone born in 1976 go about using a bank note that hasn't been legal tender since 1970?

Stuart needs to give it up, he's become an absolute slaver.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The daft thing is that there are very justifiable reasons (or specifically one very justifiable reason) not to like Marvin Bartley as a person, but that definitely isn't Cowan's motivation here.

What have I missed?