Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, microdave said:

The football journalist that was on on Sunday reckoned that an own goal scored by Paolo Vanoli against Dunfermline was in 1987. I knew he was miles out so looked it up and it was in 2003. Just 16 years out. A guy who writes about football and he's out by way more than a decade. Sums up football journalism tbh.

Yep. Embarrassing. I do wonder what they are paid to do sometimes 

Switched off. I may be being unkind to Mr Maybury but I have no intention of listening to two hours of FC Capital Franchise Propaganda

It was interesting hearing the Partick fan a couple of weeks back talking about the boardroom shenanigans there. Will an invite be afforded to those Edinburgh CITY fans disgusted at the name change to come on and explain their views?

I won't hold my breath. Fans of little teams are expected to be subject to the capricious will of whichever chancer owns the club, to know their place and be grateful and to remember to part with the readies on time and mind their bloody manners when they do

There was a car-crash 30 seconds or so yesterday where they managed to cram in mistaking Marvin Bartley/Marvin Andrews when discussing the Livi game to quickly moving on to the “Nations league” draw and the threat Christian Eriksen could pose alongside Haaland for Norway. 

More fool me because I do still seek it out most weeks but now more frequently  treading a fine line of whether i can stick it out for longer than half an hour or so. The quality or otherwise of the guest tends to swing it. 

9 minutes ago, Reidy said:

There was a car-crash 30 seconds or so yesterday where they managed to cram in mistaking Marvin Bartley/Marvin Andrews when discussing the Livi game to quickly moving on to the “Nations league” draw and the threat Christian Eriksen could pose alongside Haaland for Norway. 

More fool me because I do still seek it out most weeks but now more frequently  treading a fine line of whether i can stick it out for longer than half an hour or so. The quality or otherwise of the guest tends to swing it. 

You'd get more sense out of me after 10 pints of Belhaven Best down The Fluke than you would from the, presumably sober, brain donors they have on that show.

2 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

He is too me....I'm more of a William Shakespeare, Paul McCartney fanboy to be honest !

Fair enough. I’d say I pity you, but actually that means you have the potential to hear Mogwai for the first time, so I’m actually pretty jealous. I’d recommend listening to any of their albums in full. 

Just now, gingermunkie said:

Fair enough. I’d say I pity you, but actually that means you have the potential to hear Mogwai for the first time, so I’m actually pretty jealous. I’d recommend listening to any of their albums in full. 

Are their LPs as good as Marquee Moon by Television ? Stranded by Roxy Music  ? Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely  ? Revolver by The Beatles ? Get Happy by Elvis Costello & The Attractions ?  If not I don't really have time. Experience has told me that Scottish pop music is like Scottish football. Not in the same class as that from elsewhere. But good luck to him, he certainly doesn't need my endorsement any more than Lewis Capaldi does.

10 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Are their LPs as good as Marquee Moon by Television ? Stranded by Roxy Music  ? Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely  ? Revolver by The Beatles ? Get Happy by Elvis Costello & The Attractions ?  If not I don't really have time. Experience has told me that Scottish pop music is like Scottish football. Not in the same class as that from elsewhere. But good luck to him, he certainly doesn't need my endorsement any more than Lewis Capaldi does.

Very very few albums are as good as Revolver, and I’ve not heard the Sinatra one, but I’d say so yeah.

Young Team; Hardcore Will Never Die & Come on Die Young could all be considered among the very best albums Scotland has ever produced.

Edited by gingermunkie

7 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

"Who did Robbie Coltrane really support ?" and Stuart telling us about some nonentity going into Glasgow to buy a Cure LP with "a ten bob note".... They're firing on all cylinders today !

It was an Edwin Starr LP.

What with the whole “if you know the answer to this question, send us an email” patter from Cowan?

Today he asked listeners to email what Meatloaf’s real name is. Has his producer not got the ability to carry out a 10 second Google search for him?

Every week they’re asking folk to email answers to random questions that could be done in seconds themselves.