Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

There were also clubs who announced scores in this style over the tannoy

Aye, I'm sure I was at a Pars game at Motherwell where the PA was announcing half times scores as "A: 1-0, B: 0-1, C : 3-1" and so on. Would be late 80s I'd guess, since I started going in about 1985.

Edited by Salvo Montalbano
C : made a smiley!

At Palmerston, I remember a blue scoreboard of that type existing at the Terregles Street end when I started going the mid to late 70s, but I don't recall seeing it in use.   Instead the scores were announced on the tannoy as: A 1-1, B 2-0 etc.  The board must have been used before that though.

Ray Bradshaw makes the programme so much better. Can't remember the last time someone covering Scottish football voluntarily corrected themself.

C&C together make the show worse than the sum of their parts, when only one of them is there it's not so bad.

In your view. His references are definitely more up to date and he’s reasonable at presenting but I just don’t find him funny. Each to their own I guess.

In your view. His references are definitely more up to date and he’s reasonable at presenting but I just don’t find him funny. Each to their own I guess.
It's not necessarily his humour that I think improves the show. Compared to C&C he's less shouty and less likely to interrupt.

I knew a guy who as a boy put the scores on the scoreboard at the old Brockville stadium. I think he said he had to climb a ladder to do so but I am sure a Falkirk fan may correct me. He got free entry and a pie for his troubles.

On 13/08/2022 at 14:54, Lurkst said:

Indeed. Was often the most exciting part of the afternoon watching the scores go up!

http://www.scottishleague.net/htboard.jpg

The thing was that by the time the scores actually went up it was usually about 4.20 and 25 minutes of the second half had gone (second halves or halfs kicked off at 3.55 in the proper fitba days) so most of the scores had already changed.

I’m sure the scoreboard at Easter Road was like a big box on the terracing and the guys actually went in at the back and put the scores up from the inside.

At Ibrox the letters were round the perimeter wall and a wee man came out with a wheelbarrow and put the numbers in.

I seem to remember being somewhere where the whole board slid down till they put the numbers in, then they hoisted it up into place.

7 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I’m sure the scoreboard at Easter Road was like a big box on the terracing and the guys actually went in at the back and put the scores up from the inside.

Still do this at the golf.

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I seem to remember being somewhere where the whole board slid down till they put the numbers in, then they hoisted it up into place.

I’m pretty sure that the scoreboards at Pittodrie, Dens and Tannadice we’re all like that.

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

OK have we now established that in fact that every scoreboard was like that?

Point taken.

Still more interesting than Engelbert Humperdinck though…