Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

What a petty thin skinned loser he really is 

Getting called a fanny by Tam Cowan.

I wish I had a claim to fame like that. 

2 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

He’s coming out swinging

8F465392-CB05-44EB-B3A6-179594451309.thumb.png.59f15c596d81530f1e503130dbf47836.png

He’s post this on his Instagram because he knows he wouldn't be able to handle it on here 

I’m guessing he ignores the comments regarding his past behaviour of racism and misogyny

The “anonymous” argument is very piss poor 

Nothing screams "I'm not bothered" like multiple cry/laugh emojis. Bulletproof.

Tam's still got a bit of an obsession with people not posting their contact details on internet forums. Did @Bobby Skidmarks ever say anything negative about him, by any chance?

6 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

He’s post this on his Instagram because he knows he wouldn't be able to handle it on here 

I’m guessing he ignores the comments regarding his past behaviour of racism and misogyny

The “anonymous” argument is very piss poor 

As piss poor as not holding your hands up and admitting your initial accusation was incorrect?

Obv got an axe to grind with Tam, probably think he's a secret Currant Bun which is certainly on brand, but at least admit when you made a clanger.

On 31/05/2022 at 13:04, Clown Job said:

Decided to watch some of that Francis & Josie on YouTube Tam is always going on about 

Barely 5 minutes into it and they’re talking about “chinky waiters” 

Turned it off 

Ach it is very much of its time. There wasn't much, if any, ethnic diversity in Glasgow (and much less in the wider central belt) at the time, and using epithets such as "chinky" or "darkie" were considered as acceptable, if slightly uncouth, descriptives. Considering the other, less savoury (to say the least) racial lexical territory being explored in the 1960's and 70's it can be seen as mild. It's easy to judge things by today's standards, but I think that consideration has to be given to the culture, time and place which produced the comedy. I don't have the same affection for Francie and Josie, but some of the jokes are very good. Rikki Fulton was an absolutely fantastic comedian too.

Tam Cowan has been preparing, in the method style, for the role of a 60 year old man for the past couple of decades. It seems like the role he was born to play.

12 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

As piss poor as not holding your hands up and admitting your initial accusation was incorrect?

Obv got an axe to grind with Tam, probably think he's a secret Currant Bun which is certainly on brand, but at least admit when you made a clanger.

image.gif.d07317a99c143075ae349cb5b5672fc9.gif

16 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Tam's still got a bit of an obsession with people not posting their contact details on internet forums. Did @Bobby Skidmarks ever say anything negative about him, by any chance?

Not being liked by Skidmarks isn't a negative. 

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He won’t reply on here but would happily dox you via his Instagram account.

Big Rikki Fulton fan, but I have to say that I never got Francie & Josie.

You're always off to a loser if you try to assess comedy from the past by modern standards. Everyone loved a bit of blackface, for example, even if the joke was more about how ridiculous the comedian looked, rather than taking the piss out of black people.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Did you know that Stuart Cosgrove isn't a fan of Lyndon Dykes?

Was coming on to post the exact thing. He’s always at it. He’s clearly got some kind of weird agenda. 

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Was coming on to post the exact thing. He’s always at it. He’s clearly got some kind of weird agenda. 

Do you mean the Dykes hatred or his tear stained tribute to his Modern Studies teacher?

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Big Rikki Fulton fan, but I have to say that I never got Francie & Josie.

You're always off to a loser if you try to assess comedy from the past by modern standards. Everyone loved a bit of blackface, for example, even if the joke was more about how ridiculous the comedian looked, rather than taking the piss out of black people.

Aye I think if I look at it as part of the "music hall" type of comedy then it's very good. There are, as I said, some jokes that are absolute gold. There's one where they're dancing together that I still think about. I had heard about it for years before I ever saw any of it, so I had it built up as something special, but I had already seen Scotch & Wry and Billy Connolly, so F and J could only pale in comparison.