Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Part of Scottish fitba folklore now - we’ll miss it when it’s gone.

I actually hate when either Stuart or Tam are away as they wheel out the likes of Chick Young or that Celtic supporting lassie and it all gets a bit old firmy as well as losing the yin and the yang of Cosgrove and Cowan.

On 10/09/2018 at 13:45, Armand 2 said:

My old man got tickets to the Off the Ball Live show at the Kings earlier this year - f**k me, it was utterly torturous. It started at 7:30pm and never finished until past 10:30pm. It was literally just Cosgrove and Cowan sitting in two seats on the stage, talking the same shite they've talked on the radio for years. It was essentially a stand-up gig for Cowan as Cosgrove sat crossed-legged, contributing little and semi-conscious like the audience.

I used to find his Cosgrove's views relatively congruent to that of the provincial club fan but I now find him unbearably righteous and often quite misinformed. Like Saturday's show for example - apparently Oli McBurnie plays for Leeds and is only in the National squad because of his performances for the 21's which isn't enough for Cosgrove.  Never mind the fact he's one of the top scorers in the Championship and is one of the most in-form players available to us.

The c**t they roll out to do Jonathan Watson-esque impressions needs taken out the back and shot.

There's people out there doing the same thing but infinitely better and far more current (Simon Ferry, Tell Him He's Pele).

A good podcast, but I think you'd get fed up of hearing what is essentially the exact same thing every single week for a two hour show.

"Were the older boys harder on the young kids? Do you think that's missing from today's game? What was the dressing room like, were there lots of characters? Tommy Gravesen was pure mental, eh?"

Tam Cowan's the best thing about it. I'm surprised to read so many people on the thread suggest that he should/could be replaced before Cosgrove.  Though Cowan and Cosgrove work great as a pair, I can't hack the show when it's Cosgrove and a guest presenter. Cosgrove makes David Baddiel seem like a comedic genius by comparison. 

I have a bit of a bugbear about Cosgrove. He was obviously once a bit of a radical in his younger days - and still sees himself as much - but in his daytime job he's been in management for the last few decades now, and that boss mindset bleeds into his contributions during his show, and I just can't hack that level of hypocrisy . Also, I don't think he's as smart as he thinks he is . . . but that probably applies to most of us.

I caught ten minutes in the car earlier and once more seethed.

Cowan was trying to work out what the side that McClair scored against at Euro 92, was then called.  He knew it started with a 'C'.  CIS was obviously enough the answer but after exploring a couple of wrong answers with whoever this week's cretin was, Tam plumped for CCCP, the letters used to denote the Soviet Union, in that country, and which adorned their shirts for decades.  How can a bloke of his age who follows football, not know this stuff?

On 18/09/2018 at 09:59, imposs1904 said:

Tam Cowan's the best thing about it. I'm surprised to read so many people on the thread suggest that he should/could be replaced before Cosgrove.  Though Cowan and Cosgrove work great as a pair, I can't hack the show when it's Cosgrove and a guest presenter. Cosgrove makes David Baddiel seem like a comedic genius by comparison. 

I have a bit of a bugbear about Cosgrove. He was obviously once a bit of a radical in his younger days - and still sees himself as much - but in his daytime job he's been in management for the last few decades now, and that boss mindset bleeds into his contributions during his show, and I just can't hack that level of hypocrisy . Also, I don't think he's as smart as he thinks he is . . . but that probably applies to most of us.

I like them both, and as you say they do work pretty well as a pair. Much as I like the thoughtful, incisive contributions from Stuart, it has to be said he really does like the sound of his own voice.