Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who was the guy who died who was a regular emailer? Big C in EK?
Yeh, that's the guy. They did some sort of tribute to him, can't remember what exactly but think it was a limerick or Team of the Week.

On 22/04/2019 at 18:49, Monkey Tennis said:

The Only an Excuse version had some bloke apologising for missing the game because he was at his wife's funeral.  Sandeson wasn't interested.

"Surely you could have made the second half?" 

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 17:37, Flybhoy said:

Jimmy Sandeson, the first of the phone in panelists when Radio Clyde first started doing it in the early 1980's..

Hosted by football commentator turned broadcast media dictator Richard Park.

On 4/22/2019 at 22:04, Monkey Tennis said:

It certainly wasn't around in the 80s, but I remember something like it from slightly earlier than that Wiki date.

I'm sure I first heard Cowan making jokes in the aftermath of Rangers being eliminated from Europe by AEK Athens in, I think, 1994.  I'd thought that was OTB, but Cowan might have been a guest on something else.

It seems unlikely now, but OTB really was great for its first decade or so.  It was irreverent and its sketches were topical and sharp.  The avowedly anti-OF stance was sort of revolutionary, back when no other outlets for such feeling existed.

I loved it then, but now find it infuriating.

Your memory is as hazy as mine but it was a good show at the time. 

It's way past its shelf life though. 

Very rarely listen to it live now , but usually download it  and listen to it when walking the dog.

Used to think it was very good but it’s probably past it’s sell-by date now.

Cosgrove is increasingly annoying now, which is a pity because I used to think he was very good. He still is a good contributor on The Media Review. On OTB though he trots out the same stories and views far to often. So does Cowan.  However , Cowan , to me anyway, has some humour about him. Cosgrove doesn’t. His attempts at humour invariably fail, and often involve some sort of creepy sexual undertone. 

I get the impression that Cowan’s becoming fed up with Cosgrove as well , partly for his poor attempts at humour , but also for Cosgrove talking over him. Usually banging on about ”agendas “

Another problem with the show is the quality of the guests. Too much of the same old, same old but when they do have someone new on they’re hardly ever up to much

I prefer the later Supplement show, mainly because they can at least fill a lot of the time talking  about the day’s games. The bits with songs for the guests are crap. 

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:46, Moomintroll said:
On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:37, Flybhoy said:
Jimmy Sandeson, the first of the phone in panelists when Radio Clyde first started doing it in the early 1980's..
His favourite retort/put down was, to an argumentative caller was..
"Were you at the game today caller?"
If not they were immediately branded a muppet for daring to opine on a match they couldn't be arsed attending emoji38.png
Sandeson died not long after that programme aired.

He also enjoyed denying the use of mendacity.

He was from the era where football  journalists were roaring alkies, cigar smoke used to belch out of the centre stands at games, there was deference to the Old Firm.  And Scotland used to win international matches..

A very different world.

On 4/26/2019 at 15:42, Ken Fitlike said:
On 4/22/2019 at 00:43, Lurkst said:
Btw the GREEE-TINGS clip was actually supposed to be Jim Farry.

Farry coined the 'Petty and Ill-Informed' sound bite

'Petty and Ill informed' is their catchphrase, and I can see why they would play on it.  I smiled when I first heard it all these years ago, and it's got a kind of reassuring warmth to it. 

The thing is, they are quite petty, certainly more petty and patronising than they need to be. 

The formula they've  stuck to since the 90's has run its course. They just haven't moved on.  

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

They, or at least Cosgrove, used to be quite knowledgeable about Scottish football in general and seemed to have a real interest in it, which came across really well and helped build the popularity of the show, as fans of smaller teams knew that the show was as much for them as it was for Premier League teams.

That's long gone. Their knowledge of Scottish football is really poor, with Cosgrove regularly making things up and getting things wildly wrong.

They tongue Celtic and Sevco's arses loads now, whereas there was a time when they were proudly against such stuff.

I used to like the dynamic between them, two very different guys who found mutual ground in supporting non OF teams, whereas the VFTT lads all seem interchangeable.

You imagine them all drinking craft beer, listening to the same indie bands and all round having the same interests & backgrounds. 

18 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

'Petty and Ill informed' is their catchphrase, and I can see why they would play on it.  I smiled when I first heard it all these years ago, and it's got a kind of reassuring warmth to it. 

The thing is, they are quite petty, certainly more petty and patronising than they need to be. 

The formula they've  stuck to since the 90's has run its course. They just haven't moved on.  

They lost the "most ill informed" to Radio Clyde donkeys years ago.

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Just listened to this week's podcast.

Leeann Dempster dishing out the telts to that old fud Archie Macpherson is quite enjoyable.

What' the context of that discussion?

Let me guess, a daft auld dinosaur says attendances are falling and are now at a record low.  Then someone far more progressive, dishes out the telts, and indeed, the facts?

Macpherson has been saying for years that attendances are falling.

He usually has a cry about Rangers being 'demoted' and Hibs and Hearts getting relegated.

He's an old buffoon with zero relevance to Scottish football today and has absolutely nothing of value to say on the topic. He really has no idea and continually states lies as facts.