Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, killiemilan said:

Heard a wee bit whilst in the car and it was awful.Every question they asked Miller he said he didnt know the answer "were you playing when Sir Kenny scored v Spain?" Err Im no sure  says Wullie-what an absolute joke he is.

Most players I met were like that. I'd be rhyming of memories of their career and they were never very precise. I suppose when it's your job it doesn't mean as much, but you'd think such high spots might stick.

Does anyone remember what they were doing on a precise date 30+ years ago?

I'm pretty sure King Miller remembers what he was doing on the 11th of May 35 years ago though...

EE_img3438310-863x575.jpg

Remember everything you have never accomplished. Bow before the greatness that ye behold, peasants.

3 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Does anyone remember what they were doing on a precise date 30+ years ago?

I'm pretty sure King Miller remembers what he was doing on the 11th of May 35 years ago though...

EE_img3438310-863x575.jpg

Remember everything you have never accomplished. Bow before the greatness that ye behold, peasants.

No but I clearly remeber the events of sports games I have taken part in or watched over the years. Friends remind me of the day we played ... and instantly i recall every detail. I am also reminded of games I have attended and suddnly everything comes to mind. In the case of Wullie Miller i suspect he is just rather lazy or prefers not to remember not so good events on the park. I do wonder what he would be like if you met him in the pub?

3 minutes ago, killiemilan said:

No but I clearly remeber the events of sports games I have taken part in or watched over the years. Friends remind me of the day we played ... and instantly i recall every detail. I am also reminded of games I have attended and suddnly everything comes to mind. In the case of Wullie Miller i suspect he is just rather lazy or prefers not to remember not so good events on the park. I do wonder what he would be like if you met him in the pub?

Well I have met him, albeit not in the pub. He's an utter gentleman.

Also, you're cherrypicking events from when you've played [a sport], and that is completely different to playing hundreds, if not thousands of games as a career. Also...he's an auld mannie. Back the f**k off King Miller!

angry-boy.jpg

:whistle

Exactly why I asked the question as I suspected he might be a different man in real life - and that is nice to hear. Having said that I suspect if he chose to do so he would/could remember many more events than he appears to. 

I do recall many memorys from games i have taken part in and observed though is it different if it is not your paid employment?Maybe I am a weirdo but i can recal so many incidents from matches i attended 30 years ago- incidents leading to goals,yellow,red cards etc. so why dont players remember such incidents?

2 hours ago, killiemilan said:

Exactly why I asked the question as I suspected he might be a different man in real life - and that is nice to hear. Having said that I suspect if he chose to do so he would/could remember many more events than he appears to. 

I do recall many memorys from games i have taken part in and observed though is it different if it is not your paid employment?Maybe I am a weirdo but i can recal so many incidents from matches i attended 30 years ago- incidents leading to goals,yellow,red cards etc. so why dont players remember such incidents?

Edit:

I've actually got a signed photo with him. Me and the auld man. In the Falkirk Stadium.

Edited by Illgresi

8 hours ago, killiemilan said:

Miller isn't a good example because he only played for one club.

Others move around and some games mean more to supporters and stick in their memories than they do to players.

Or they remember different things.

"Remember when we beat United 2-0 and you got man of the match?

Aye, still waiting on my fucking win bonus."

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It's not in any way complicated. Only very thick people don't get it. 

I have to hold my hand up  as someone brought up in the rudimentary simplicity of 'top two qualify' and say I struggle to understand the Nations League even at a conceptual level – the way there are two qualifying competitions for the same finals. I've read a couple of explainers, but  even then I battle to digest the Nations League, the Nations League Finals, the play offs and the value of relegation and promotion between the various groups. (Surely promotion would make it harder to qualify next time?)

I have a vague understanding that finishing second in our Nations League group won't kill off our chances  of qualifying for Euro 2020 if we qualify in the top two of our Euro qualifiers or if the first-placed team in our Nations League group gets through the standard Euro qualifiers. I think then that the best placed second-placed teams in the Nations League go through to play-offs, though there's an added complication in that to measure the best second-placed teams you have to disregard their results against the bottom teams in the four-team Nations League Groups. 

In short, I only think I'll know for certain  we've qualified when  someone tells me.

Am I right in saying Stuart ‘intellectual’ Cosgrove said that Zander Clark should be in that Scotland squad instead of Bain as Scotland are promoting the use of youth players and having 3 goalkeepers over the age of 32 makes no sense.

Where to start?

Am I right in saying Stuart ‘intellectual’ Cosgrove said that Zander Clark should be in that Scotland squad instead of Bain as Scotland are promoting the use of youth players and having 3 goalkeepers over the age of 32 makes no sense.
Where to start?

Yes, that’s what he said. In his defence, which I don’t really want to make, I think he was more referring to the regular choices of McGregor, Gordon and McLauglin (who’s 31). Liam Kelly of Livi would surely deserve a call up more than Clark in any event, particularly if youth is his argument?

The point is though Bain is in the squad and he’s younger than Clark so the point he’s making with regards to Clark is bullshit. I’m not really sure how much experience being a third choice keeper will really get you in these sorts of games.

Is Kelly still eligible for the 21s? 

The point is though Bain is in the squad and he’s younger than Clark so the point he’s making with regards to Clark is bullshit. I’m not really sure how much experience being a third choice keeper will really get you in these sorts of games.
Is Kelly still eligible for the 21s? 

I completely agree. Bain should be in the squad over Clark, and potentially Kelly. I think Cosgrove meant Clark should be 3rd choice if the options were McGregor, Gordon or McLaughlin...which they aren’t. I think Kelly is still eligible for the 21’s.

Guest Moomintroll
It's difficult to follow Scottish football in England according to Stuart because you cannae get The Record or Scottish Sun doon there.
That's the kind of Luddite thing you would expect from Tam, not Twitter obsessed Stuart.
Its actually easier to follow Scottish Football down here as we don't have those shiterags or their Aural equivalent. I do enjoy a Sunday Mail though so I can get utterly apopleptic with rage reading whatever shite Gordon Parks is serving up & recently, wallpapering my Gary Holt shrine[emoji7], just need the Sun on Sunday to unveil their Losa column now & I will be back up like a shot.

I have to hold my hand up  as someone brought up in the rudimentary simplicity of 'top two qualify' and say I struggle to understand the Nations League even at a conceptual level – the way there are two qualifying competitions for the same finals. I've read a couple of explainers, but  even then I battle to digest the Nations League, the Nations League Finals, the play offs and the value of relegation and promotion between the various groups. (Surely promotion would make it harder to qualify next time?)
I have a vague understanding that finishing second in our Nations League group won't kill off our chances  of qualifying for Euro 2020 if we qualify in the top two of our Euro qualifiers or if the first-placed team in our Nations League group gets through the standard Euro qualifiers. I think then that the best placed second-placed teams in the Nations League go through to play-offs, though there's an added complication in that to measure the best second-placed teams you have to disregard their results against the bottom teams in the four-team Nations League Groups. 
In short, I only think I'll know for certain  we've qualified when  someone tells me.

I’ve tried pretty hard to understand it too and it is fairly complex, I’d agree.

I quite like the idea of a minnow from league D qualifying (it might be us one day) but it does mean a ‘better’ team misses out, which hardly seems fair.

If the 20 teams that qualify through the traditional groups come from leagues A and B, which is quite possible, that means there would be 8 teams from league C (Scotland’s league) in 2 different 4 team playoffs each offering a spot to the winner in the actual Euros.

Eh, I think.

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’ve tried pretty hard to understand it too and it is fairly complex, I’d agree.

I quite like the idea of a minnow from league D qualifying (it might be us one day) but it does mean a ‘better’ team misses out, which hardly seems fair.

If the 20 teams that qualify through the traditional groups come from leagues A and B, which is quite possible, that means there would be 8 teams from league C (Scotland’s league) in 2 different 4 team playoffs each offering a spot to the winner in the actual Euros.

Eh, I think.

Recent history tells us that we can expect around 18 of the automatic qualifiers to come from League A and League B. Second place in a League C group will therefore probably be fine for a play-off place.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a semi infrequent listener and usually enjoy most of the show. And used to love it on in the car to away games with ma dad when a was a wee laddie.  With that said then, I’m prone to ‘give it the benefit of the doubt’. 

But the Motherwell st Johnstone indulgence this first half hour has been almost  unbearable!