Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tbh, Off the Ball has been on the slide for years. Tam mentioned during the show on Saturday about the policy of him and Stuart have of always making sure there was one of them at least to do the show in case they got replaced. That spell when they started doing it more regular was a turning point for me. I liked the old format as a poster mentioned earlier, when Ford Kiernan did the voices for sketches and they had a competition that you could win a prize although is not their fault they had to stop prizes. It now seems an ensemble cast taking turns to host the half eaten carcass of a show that has had its day long ago. They should simply bring back collective noun  and “the answer is” competitions as they were genuinely the bst things about the show. I also seem to remember the odd, in fact rare occasion years back when OtB would be on a Sunday straight after Jim Traynor’s phone in. Ahhhhh! The Jim Traynor phone in days. In fact, I’d much rather listen to Traynor back on the radio for 2 hours every Saturday trying to back track and explain his behaviour over the last few years whilst taking difficult calls from callers wanting to call him out. That would be worth a listen.

On the ball/Off the ball was at it's best when it had the sketches. Now it's just a load of meh! Still alright for passing the time. Jim Traynor was always good for a laugh and Euan and Roughie was a great way to spend a couple of hours each day.

Tried Clyde Super scoreboard once, dafuq?

On 22/09/2018 at 15:23, Monkey Tennis said:

I caught ten minutes in the car earlier and once more seethed.

Cowan was trying to work out what the side that McClair scored against at Euro 92, was then called.  He knew it started with a 'C'.  CIS was obviously enough the answer but after exploring a couple of wrong answers with whoever this week's cretin was, Tam plumped for CCCP, the letters used to denote the Soviet Union, in that country, and which adorned their shirts for decades.  How can a bloke of his age who follows football, not know this stuff?

I was waiting for someone to suggest Scotland beat the CCS....! 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

I did laugh like f**k on Saturday when they played the song 'Invisible' by Alison Moyet to studio guest Michael Stewart and said they wanted to touch upon his Manchester United career.

Also laughed like f**k when Stewart told the studio his feelings about Levein. 

• 3 weeks later...

Stuart really is an expert bullshitter.

Last week he interrupted Tam who had just managed to remember the name of 'the Danish bloke who said Souness was a b*****d' - Jan Bartram. Stuart authoritatively states  that Jan Bartram had a great career at Morton, when he meant Per Bartram.

This week. They're talking about the Armistice and Stuart's ridiculing everybody who hasn't heard of the song "Flowers o the forest", and he's busy quoting the line 'did the pipes play the flowers o the forest'. I mean, fucksakes, how is there a song that quotes itself?  The Flowers of the Forest is a pipe tune, and the song is called "No Man's Land", not "The Green Fields of France" as Tam said later after some researcher had looked it up.

Hey, ICT won their first match since September 15th and I'm writing this pish...

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Thought Garry O’Connor came across extremely well tbh, really enjoyed his input. He’s obviously not the brightest guy but he seems to have a decent heart and he spoke candidly about his mental health issues. 

Have to agree with all of that; not sure he'd be much of a pundit but thought he came over as really open and candid when talking about his career and found those parts of the show pretty interesting listening. Actually thought some of the jokey-ness from Tam spoilt it a little.

Cowan still comes out with the shite about how if anyone ever needs a win or a goal then they'll get it when they play Motherwell.

He genuinely seems to think that it's a unique thing to Motherwell and seems to believe he came up with it.

I've heard fans of almost every club in Scotland say it at various points over the years and continue to say it.

Some folk must’ve been listening to a different show. I thought it was cringeworthy. He didn’t know The Who’s My Generation, couldn’t remember the name of Zibi Malkowski and just generally sounded thick as mince. Some people might find that endearing but I don’t.

Tam Cowan and Willie Miller both giving it the old 'the Nayshuns Leeg is pyoor hard to undurstaun!' stuff.

Maybe Cowan should take 5 minutes away from wanking over Sevco and Celtic to read up on it. Miller should do likewise.

It's not in any way complicated. Only very thick people don't get it. Miller is basically laughing at being shit at his job.