Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 26/03/2023 at 21:37, Caledonian1 said:

you could argue that goalkeeping coaching in Scotland has been less successful in the last 20 years than those who coach forwards.  Our left back coaches on the other hand.......

I'm sure Craig Gordon has done well in the circumstances but let's be honest forwards over the same period have been thin on the ground.

I was amazed to hear that only 4 players have ever scored 20 or more for the international team.

Staggering.

3 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Part of the appeal for me watching Scotland was watching some of the world class players they were up against. My first Scotland match was as a 12 year old - the famous 1-0 win against THAT team from the Netherlands and one of the other games was the 3-2 Spain game. To say I've watched some of the best players to play the game on the hallowed turf of Hampden is a great feeling. I think it makes the win even sweeter. 

I know we don't exactly have the luxury of qualifying for every tournament so any advantage we can get is great but there will be some Scotland supporting kids who will never forget the day they saw the likes of Pedri, Gavi and Haaland knocking the ball about in their homeland. 

I get your point and fair enough but I would much rather see Scotland scrape a 1-0 against Norway sans Haaland than get cuffed by virtue of a Haaland hat-trick.

I know with the latter I can reflect upon and console myself with the memory of seeing Haaland (or Morata - couldn't think of another current top Spanish player ha) play in the flesh but a) given he plays in front of 50,000 people every week just 3 hours or so down the road, this could be arranged with a wee bit of planning b) it is not exactly like watching Pele or Maradona in their pomp and c) ideally we want Scotland to beat the strongest opposition every time we play but given our ranking then you're just looking at pie in the sky sporting idealism. 

I think most long-suffering supporters would dump sporting idealism at the door and leave that to the likes of France, Italy or Argentina (who coincidentally dump that at the door themselves despite being good enough not to). 

Anyway, we don't all go along to games for the same reasons - the main point is that we go and we want Scotland to win 👍

As much as their team were filled with world class players, my abiding memory of the 2012 2-3 Spain game (apart from the delirium of coming back to 2-2) was wtf was McManus thinking about when he totally misjudged the flight of the ball?

Same goes with the 2-2 against England.   Why did Armstrong not just blooter it into row z?  

Why did Gordon not wipe out Harry Kane? (rather than me admiring Kane's poaching prowess when they looked down and out).

Call me a footballing philistine but I am too focused on wanting Scotland to do well to take time out to admire the opposition and I have been watching Scotland since 1973 and quite a few world greats have graced the Hampden turf in since then.

Edited by Sugar_Army

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

There are EPL grounds 3 or 4 hours away from most people in Scotland if they want to consume football as dispassionate observers of the game.

I'd rather my teams humped everyone in sight 

It's nothing to do with being dispassionate. You can still want your team to win by enjoying them playing some of the best players in the world. As I said before, it makes it even sweeter just like last night beating the likes of tiny tears Rodri.

Got mugged off,for winning a...er...mug, by some shite joke about the SPFL Trust Trophy prize fund...

jagox's tears available for £90 per 100ml...

On 29/03/2023 at 09:00, Pens_Dark said:

It's nothing to do with being dispassionate. You can still want your team to win by enjoying them playing some of the best players in the world. As I said before, it makes it even sweeter just like last night beating the likes of tiny tears Rodri.

If given the option with hindsight of course you'd want to pump any team with their best players. But without that benefit of course you'd rather the opposition's star players are out. Would you say the same about Larsson or Laudrup at their peak in club football?

15 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Started Sunday’s episode this afternoon. Lasted less than 10 minutes when it became clear it was another sickly Celtic love-in with yet another Celtic-supporting guest. Dreadful. 

I know statistically it is more likely that there are Rangers and Celtic supporters on the show, but I'm bored of Celtic fans coming on and wanging on about Postecoglu 

On 09/04/2023 at 16:50, Boghead ranter said:

Really enjoying this afternoon's show - Ray Bradshaw and Mark Nelson should be the way forward. 

I wonder if certainly, Bradshaw is a long term successor? 

Him and the nice guy from Middlesbrough who edits Nutmeg would be interesting to see 

5 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

I wonder if certainly, Bradshaw is a long term successor? 

Him and the nice guy from Middlesbrough who edits Nutmeg would be interesting to see 

I have a feeling that Bradshaw's stand up career is in a place where it's about to really take off, therefore the chances of him being available every weekend are very slim (fortunately for him, unfortunately for us).

On 12/04/2023 at 17:45, Hammer Jag said:

Started Sunday’s episode this afternoon. Lasted less than 10 minutes when it became clear it was another sickly Celtic love-in with yet another Celtic-supporting guest. Dreadful. 

Thought Sunday's was the first decent show for a long time.