Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

I'm not trolling I just want to know if it's a phone in or just listening to Cowan and Cosgrove questionable patter for a few hours.

Phone in got binned years ago so it's questionable patter I'm afraid.

On 05/02/2023 at 09:04, Stellaboz said:

Can mind calling in years ago in the Hay season after a parleticular bad result towards season end and the whole bus shouting DAVIE DAVIE GTF on the radio. 

It was in Inverness (you know the exact game I mean, featuring one of your favourite performances from one of your favourite players!) and I called as we were getting a carryout in Tesco after the game. At the end of the call we all gave it the aforementioned chant.

Edited by DA Baracus

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It was in Inverness (you know the exact game I mean, featuring one of your favourite performances from one of your favourite players!) and I called as we were getting a carryout in Tesco after the game. At the end of the call we all gave it the aforementioned chant.

Ohhh I forgot that one, it must have been twice this happened then! Possibly after the Livi game? 

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Ohhh I forgot that one, it must have been twice this happened then! Possibly after the Livi game? 

Don't recall that but it If so it was effective as he was gone soon after!

8 hours ago, bennett said:

My memory of Jim Leighton was that he had butterfingers but those stats are more than decent. 

No idea where you get that memory from. He played against your mob 38 times and lost 7 of them. Were you not watching Rangers at that time?

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

No idea where you get that memory from. He played against your mob 38 times and lost 7 of them. Were you not watching Rangers at that time?

I can only really remember the latter stages of his career.  

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Folk around my age will, when they hear of Jim Leighton will probably instantly recall his amusing nuance of falling on his arse most of the time he launched a goal kick into the opposition half. 

My mum always told me that if you can’t say anything nice about someone, don’t say anything at all.

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Folk around my age will, when they hear of Jim Leighton will probably instantly recall his amusing nuance of falling on his arse most of the time he launched a goal kick into the opposition half. 

He was a great keeper who couldn't handle crosses but was protected by Miller and McLeish at Aberdeen.

I always thought he was hung out to dry by his central defenders at Manchester United.

He didn't cope with the change in the back pass rule well.

Ferguson ruthlessly dropping him for the FA Cup final replay in 1990 absolutely destroyed him, he freely admits that, badly at fault for the late winner Brazil scored to knock us out at the group  stage (again) at the World Cup a few weeks later.

The two of them have never spoken a word to each other since. 

A purple patch/Indian summer a few years later towards the end of his career with Hibernian and Aberdeen saw him regain the gloves from Andy Goram who was gradually unravelling by this point, for the World Cup in France 98 where, sadly he was badly at fault for a couple of the Morocco goals that again eliminated us.

Was a real shame though his last action as a player was suffering a broken jaw in the opening minutes of the 2000 Scottish Cup final where, Aberdeen having no substitute keeper meant Rangers essentially won the cup right there and then. 

Edited by Flybhoy

23 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

He was a great keeper who couldn't handle crosses but was protected by Miller and McLeish at Aberdeen.

I always thought he was hung out to dry by his central defenders at Manchester United.

He didn't cope with the change in the back pass rule well.

Hmm...maybe I'm being too picky here but 'a great keeper who can't handle crosses' isn't a great keeper . A bit like 'the great full back who can't handle wingers running at him' or 'the great striker who can't handle being one on one with the goalie'. If you can't handle the basic requirements of your position how can you be 'great' at it ?

8 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Ferguson ruthlessly dropping him for the FA Cup final replay in 1990 absolutely destroyed him, he freely admits that, badly at fault for the late winner Brazil scored to knock us out at the group  stage (again) at the World Cup a few weeks later.

The two of them have never spoken a word to each other since. 

I think that Ferguson decision was indeed truly damaging for him.  

I'm not a fan of Ferguson, but the decision wasn't unwarranted.  Leighton had been poor for much of that season.  He chucked one in at the end of the match in which we qualified for that World Cup - a nervy home draw with Norway. He was having quite a prolonged crisis of confidence and there was speculation about his place in the team for both club and country.  

Ferguson would probably be more prepared to act ruthlessly than most, but it would be hard to argue that he got it wrong.

29 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Hmm...maybe I'm being too picky here but 'a great keeper who can't handle crosses' isn't a great keeper . A bit like 'the great full back who can't handle wingers running at him' or 'the great striker who can't handle being one on one with the goalie'. If you can't handle the basic requirements of your position how can you be 'great' at it ?

He is the most capped Scottish goalkeeper, he is the second most capped Scottish footballer, he won countless trophies including two European trophies, but he can’t be considered a “great”. You have high standards.