Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 17/01/2023 at 07:53, Markymark1874 said:

Tam Cowan has morphed into that cringey old uncle over recent years. Continuously tells the same stories over and over, honking ‘jokes’ and very touchy when one of the guests is genuinely funnier than him.

What really really grinds my gears though is the way both Tam and Stuart (who both will say are anti-sectarian) continually make jokes & references, albeit with funny mocking voices “aye but what school did her go to” and references to the orange order or “what foot does he kick with” etc etc. Just don’t even fuC5ing reference it in any way. Totally cringey west of Scotland patter that makes us a laughing stock worldwide. 

Your 2nd paragraph, but aren’t they sending up the Neanderthal element of the old firm, who do think that way?

By the way, whatever happened to Lewis McLeod and his impression? Ceased when Covid kicked in

51 minutes ago, Afc69 said:
On 17/01/2023 at 07:53, Markymark1874 said:

Tam Cowan has morphed into that cringey old uncle over recent years. Continuously tells the same stories over and over, honking ‘jokes’ and very touchy when one of the guests is genuinely funnier than him.

What really really grinds my gears though is the way both Tam and Stuart (who both will say are anti-sectarian) continually make jokes & references, albeit with funny mocking voices “aye but what school did her go to” and references to the orange order or “what foot does he kick with” etc etc. Just don’t even fuC5ing reference it in any way. Totally cringey west of Scotland patter that makes us a laughing stock worldwide. 

Your 2nd paragraph, but aren’t they sending up the Neanderthal element of the old firm, who do think that way?

Bad cultural behaviours often lose prominence over time due to criticism. Satire, of course, is a very effective form of that criticism. However, there's a risk that once the bad behaviours are no longer so prevalent, continuing to satirise them beyond that point can backfire and breathe new life into them. 

I don't know if the above applies in this case or not, though, its just a general thought.

9 hours ago, Afc69 said:

By the way, whatever happened to Lewis McLeod and his impression? Ceased when Covid kicked in

I think they are intending to wind up this element of the OF support - but when you have to then explain the joke to a child also listening (like I had to do) the “joke” just backfires and keeps this nonsense in the open, where it should really just be ignored.

8 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Bad cultural behaviours often lose prominence over time due to criticism. Satire, of course, is a very effective form of that criticism. However, there's a risk that once the bad behaviours are no longer so prevalent, continuing to satirise them beyond that point can backfire and breathe new life into them. 

I don't know if the above applies in this case or not, though, its just a general thought.

Yeah I agree - just think they should ignore this altogether. Their constant back references to bigotry and sectarianism just continues to keep it going. It’s really tiresome - and unfortunately,  there will be an element who don’t get the fact the joke is on them.

I’d imagine Tam and Stuart will argue that they are continuing to mock this behaviour amongst an element of OF fans in order to call out their stupidity, but all I see and hear is low level west of Scotland patter that has embarrassed our country for decades being given airtime. Hundreds of listeners will not get the irony. 

Edited by Markymark1874

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Maybe it's my pampered West End lifestyle, but in my experience of nearly 15 years studying/working/living in Glasgow I haven't once experienced any of this "what school did you go to" stuff.

What about "whose your big team?"

I just think they've been on too long and have run out of material. But listened to the programme before them "Noising Up"  and it's awful, and that is with something like 12 writers. Maybe it's just BBC Scotland is needing refreshed. ps I live in Falkirk and have been asked "who's yur big team"! usually by Of tv fans

7 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

What about "whose your big team?"

I studied in Glasgow for a year with a load of West Coasters on my course. From day 1 they all knew I was a United fan, and whilst I don’t think they ever asked who my “big” team was they definitely expected that I would have a preference one way or another. They seemed to struggle with my proclamations of equal distaste for both sides. 

15 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

I studied in Glasgow for a year with a load of West Coasters on my course. From day 1 they all knew I was a United fan, and whilst I don’t think they ever asked who my “big” team was they definitely expected that I would have a preference one way or another. They seemed to struggle with my proclamations of equal distaste for both sides. 

It's not that unusual for folk to have a preference, nor is it really a big deal. I mean, people have favourites in all kinds of derbies.

I know people who have a pick either way between Spurs and Arsenal, or Liverpool and Everton, however slight.

I fucking hate Celtic, but I think Rangers are the worst football club in the world, so if that means I have a 'preference', then I can live with that.

I moved to Belfast a few years ago and I have been asked the “who’s your big team though” with the sinister undertones a few times. Explaining to these people that I despise both clubs and also could not give a f**k about any and every iteration of Christianity is not easy.

If Stuart and Tam’s target audience is NI then fair play for their somewhat edgy humour. But I imagine the truth is that this patter, like other aspects of the show, is merely a fossilised relic of yer da talk from west coast pubs that belongs firmly ‘back in the day’.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Before Monday, I had never heard of John Gall. He has come across on Off The Ball just now as a complete arse.

Aye. Demanding that the pyramid be adjusted so that they can get up quicker, and the pish about Colville Park, where "We didn't take all the players. We took the manager, and then all the players came"