Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

899 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Yes is the short answer. Michael Stewart's patter after the Kamara incident against Slavia (Sparta?) Prague was moved on from very quickly. After Anton and Rio Ferdinand called him out he somehow managed to make himself out to be the victim. Then we never heard about it again.

What I don't get about Cowan's response is the way he went after Bartley. It was bizarre. 

He went after Bartley because his partner is Eilidh Barbour and she was the main voice calling out his mate for the award speech.

He's a bitter, spiteful twat.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

He went after Bartley because his partner is Eilidh Barbour and she was the main voice calling out his mate for the award speech.

He's a bitter, spiteful twat.

He's never come across that way to me. I've always thought him a pretty decent guy, he's done a lot to help raise money for worthy causes.

Maybe the reason for the odd attack on Bartley was because of Eilidh Barbour. To be honest that makes it even stranger for me. He's not a stupid guy, why get involved in something as sensitive as that because you don't like someone's other half?

Hopefully this incident is the boot Radio Scotland need to remove this rubbish at the end of the season. 

OTB was a good alternative when it was genuinely championing diddy teams but Cowan especially is far too ingrained in Glasgow thinking now that all he talks about are Rangers, Celtic and 1991. 

If they want to keep some kind of comedy football show Ray Bradshaw and Susie McCabe would be a good idea imo.

Yes you can put this on your Instagram Tam

I see he's put his apology on Instagram.  He doesn't quite get it does he?  An apology to 'everyone, including Marvin Bartley' when it was only Marvin Bartley he targeted, isn't really an apology to Marvin Bartley...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmRiYC2qm2u/

10 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Ray Bradshaw and Susie McCabe's agent found.

Susie McCabe? Really? Bradshaw definitely but McCabe?

I fully expected Cowan to be off the air today. Amazed he wasn’t

Apologies, who did Elidb Barbour go after at the awards ceremony, that incurred Cowan’s wrath?

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

He’s also said twice now he would be the first guy to call it out 

I genuinely don’t remember him saying a peep when the accusations was originally made

The first I heard him mention it was to get stuck into Bartley 

Somehow I'm not sure the guy who still enjoys the comedy of Bernard Manning would be the first to call racism out...

51 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Hopefully this incident is the boot Radio Scotland need to remove this rubbish at the end of the season. 

OTB was a good alternative when it was genuinely championing diddy teams but Cowan especially is far too ingrained in Glasgow thinking now that all he talks about are Rangers, Celtic and 1991. 

If they want to keep some kind of comedy football show Ray Bradshaw and Susie McCabe would be a good idea imo.

Yes you can put this on your Instagram Tam

Both are touring comedians and Fridays and Saturdays are the days they are most likely to have gigs so committing to a regular Saturday afternoon show is a non-starter

6 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Both are touring comedians and Fridays and Saturdays are the days they are most likely to have gigs so committing to a regular Saturday afternoon show is a non-starter

Good call. Perhaps time just to can the whole premises tbh

11 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

Susie McCabe? Really? Bradshaw definitely but McCabe?

I fully expected Cowan to be off the air today. Amazed he wasn’t

Apologies, who did Elidb Barbour go after at the awards ceremony, that incurred Cowan’s wrath?

If you mean who prompted Eilidh Barbour (and others) to walk out of the SFWA dinner in disgust, it was Bill Copeland.  Apparently Cowan is good pals with him, whoever he is, so the walk-out (and the ensuing publicity) enraged him. 

Someone added on this thread a few pages back that Tam more recently made repeated digs at EB at a Livingston event, which implies that he has been nursing a grudge, and is a possible (probable?) reason why he has since gone after EB's boyfriend both from his BBC platform and on social media, confirming himself to be quite a nasty piece of work in the process.

I'm very surprised that the BBC, who has previously suspended him for his comments on women's football, regard his feeble and insincere apology today as sufficient. 

17 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

If you mean who prompted Eilidh Barbour (and others) to walk out of the SFWA dinner in disgust, it was Bill Copeland.  Apparently Cowan is good pals with him, whoever he is, so the walk-out (and the ensuing publicity) enraged him. 

Someone added on this thread a few pages back that Tam more recently made repeated digs at EB at a Livingston event, which implies that he has been nursing a grudge, and is a possible (probable?) reason why he has since gone after EB's boyfriend both from his BBC platform and on social media, confirming himself to be quite a nasty piece of work in the process.

I'm very surprised that the BBC, who has previously suspended him for his comments on women's football, regard his feeble and insincere apology today as sufficient. 

He’d be the first to call out racism mind apparently *

Spoiler

*Unless it’s his mate doing it to get a cheap laugh

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Somehow I'm not sure the guy who still enjoys the comedy of Bernard Manning would be the first to call racism out...

If you listened intently, you wouldn't make that comment, or if you did, you are either suffering under a misapprehension or you are wilfully misrepresenting him.

5 hours ago, Darren said:

If I was trying to think of people who'd call out racism, I don't think Tam Cowan would be the first person I'd think of. 

Not so.

There's evidence and indeed an interaction on this thread that TC distances himself from that distasteful laziness.

All that is left is for that poster who alleged to the contrary to provide a full and unambiguous apology to Tam.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

Yes, but to be fair to Bartley it was 5 years ago.

It was, aye, and in that time Bartley has made regular media appearances on Sportscene and the like - shows with their own threads on this forum, giving you plenty opportunity for you to stress your concerns about Bartley's character. Yet the only times you have brought them up was when Bartley was in the news for speaking in support of Glen Kamara (who in turn was being targeted by the Czech government for having reported Ondrej Kudela's racist insults), you went wild in the Livi thread with that. Then the other time is now, again at a time when Bartley is in the news for speaking out on racism. 

It's almost like you weaponise Bartley's conviction as a way to dismiss the "uppity Black man" who's speaking out about racism. It's almost like you see strategic benefit in making the antiracism activist themself the issue rather than the racism they're trying to highlight. I doubt you have an alternate candidate to Bartley you can suggest to the SFA and I'm also sceptical any succesor to him wouldn't face similar pushback from you anyway.