Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I agree, I like him but I suspect a lot of those going to his arena gigs just want a reprise of "garlic bread" and "chicken and fish" jokes.

As a complete aside, comedy gigs belong in small, intimate venues like The Stand or Monkey Barrel, not fucking arenas..........

I had never heard his phrase ‘garlic bread’ until this week and the context I was given wasn’t funny.

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What do you mean, not funny. It's garlic bread... Bread, with garlic!

13 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

'Where are they coming from?'

'She only had 4'

I got told it was from a sketch about foreign food, didn’t seem funny and what you guys have written doesn’t appear to be funny either.

I assume there is some deeper context.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

I got told it was from a sketch about foreign food, didn’t seem funny and what you guys have written doesn’t appear to be funny either.

I assume there is some deeper context.

'I'm getting the word'

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

A nice bit of transphobia on Cowan's Instagram story today...

To the surprise of absolutely no one. Cowan always has been a moron. 

14 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

To the surprise of absolutely no one. Cowan always has been a moron. 

There was a time - honest - when Tam Cowan was quite funny.  Then the BBC created their 'comedy unit' and neither a titter nor a snort has come from Pacific Quay since.

New Firm - definitely a "thing". The Dundee Courier used to use it liberally. No issue.

Firmly agree R.E. Peter Kay - "garlic bread" is simply not funny. Also unhelpfully reinforces stereotypes of "the thick northerner". Get in the fucking bin.

RE. Transphobia: times have changed, I remember Irn Bru having an advert that finished with the words "even though she used to be a man". Even if the intent is light hearted and not meaning harm to marginalized communities, in the words of Chewin' the Fat; "Just gonnae no date that" 😤😬

53 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

A sheep joke FE074D5D-3C0A-43F0-A40D-44C48ADE3B5C.thumb.jpeg.b09b78ecc660033d67f3fdc0fd4f69bc.jpeg

image.gif.6e29aa6f60c26dec5ed1ba2263cfbc0f.gif

But you never miss an episode eh?

2038087391_tenor(1).gif.21434120152b44a1c48587cdcdef54a8.gif

On 12/11/2022 at 19:16, Clown Job said:

Is Tam the only person who calls Aberdeen vs Dundee United the “New Firm”

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever heard it being used elsewhere 

On 31/10/2022 at 18:26, Clown Job said:

Was Tam really trying to talk up Leigh Griffiths? 

On 09/10/2022 at 12:43, Clown Job said:

Tam having a dig at someone using emoji’s 

On 02/10/2022 at 15:29, Clown Job said:

I had to look up the Wayne Rooney granny joke a while back as I had no idea what Tam was talking about 

Now that I do, it’s still not funny. 

On 05/09/2022 at 18:46, Clown Job said:

Oh Tam

Feeling sorry for a Tory. How sad 

On 28/04/2022 at 12:03, Clown Job said:

Remember when he was suspended for his misogynistic article about women’s football in the paper a few years back?

So yeah it doesn’t surprise me a guy who still lives in the 1970’s has sort of attitude towards black people

Edit: Here is the article

THE Daily Record's own Gene Hunt, Mr TAM COWAN, gives his take from the dark ages - or the 1970s at least - on the Scotland women's match at Fir Park this week.

Admittedly, I’ve not seen a lot of women’s football - just a few little snatches - and I’m not having a pop at the people taking part.

Just the other week, I bumped into a couple of women footballers (I’ve still got the bruises to prove it) and they were honestly two of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met.

But no amount of politically correct claptrap could force me to say I enjoyed a single second of that guff at Fir Park on Thursday night.

Face it, folks, nobody cares about women’s football. There was barely a thousand inside the ground, shocking for an international in ANY sport, and I guess putting the girlies head-to-head with Emmerdale and Eastenders was a bit daft.

On 17/07/2022 at 16:52, Clown Job said:

I don’t see why that wouldn’t be the appropriate forum.

Especially when you’ll have as many people as possible tuning in giving it as much visibility as possible 

That’s one of the reasons why they take the knee just before kick off and not after everyone has went home. 

No idea why it would hit a nerve with Tam that it was mentioned, wasn’t as if he was personally being accused of anything 

On 17/07/2022 at 12:57, Clown Job said:

Tam sounding like a very fragile white man

On 21/05/2022 at 18:15, Clown Job said:

You don’t have a both sides when it comes to that. 

I did think Cowan try to deflect it slightly by mentioning Celtic fans but it’s a much bigger problem than that.

If it was a group of Scottish fans in Israel singing how much they hate Jews, I’d imagine it wouldn’t have been ignored or quickly dismissed 

On 26/02/2022 at 13:05, Clown Job said:

I had to look up who Francie and Josie are 

One of the biggest differences between Cosgrove and Cowan for me is that Cosgrove doesn’t seem stuck in the past, especially with cultural references 

Sometimes I think time stopped for Tam back in 2000

On 04/06/2022 at 17:27, Clown Job said:

Guy in the studio to promote his book and discuss Euro 92

Tam: So how bad was it for you supporting Celtic in 92, let’s put it out to the listeners

Wit?

On 31/05/2022 at 13:04, Clown Job said:

Decided to watch some of that Francis & Josie on YouTube Tam is always going on about 

Barely 5 minutes into it and they’re talking about “chinky waiters” 

Turned it off 

On 21/05/2022 at 13:03, Clown Job said:

I heard that, Tam is a very poor liar 

Also Cat claiming she was only discussing the conditions inside the stadium and not the behaviour of the fans 

On 04/12/2021 at 12:13, Clown Job said:

Tam Cowan claiming we need more pundits like Kris Boys 

On 02/05/2022 at 21:35, Clown Job said:

Aye but Tam says it like he’s never watched any other Batman 

On 23/04/2022 at 13:15, Clown Job said:

He does 

But I feel a bit sorry for him, Tam acting like it’s an episode of Mastermind with all the random questions and basically saying as a firefighter he sits about and does f**k all

On 10/04/2022 at 10:28, Clown Job said:

Hopefully with Tam not on it today the music selection will be mostly within the last 40 years 

On 09/04/2022 at 13:00, Clown Job said:

Did Tam really just blame the EU for people not saying Empire Biscuits anymore? (I didn’t even realise was a thing either) 

On 03/04/2022 at 15:25, Clown Job said:

The issue isn’t that you play music from older generations Tam.

It’s that the music you pick is utter shite

Edit: Has a pop at Amy Irons choosing Titanium, then hits outs with The Laughing Policeman

Good grief 

On 27/02/2022 at 00:30, Clown Job said:

I suspect that’s the evening up you hear pretty frequently in our media 

They can’t really mention one club without mentioning the other 

Then Tam would make a some unfounded claim that if you don’t the “other side” will be up in arms 

On 23/02/2022 at 11:46, Clown Job said:

Need to be honest I did cringe when I heard Tam make a comment about Judith Ralston tits 

On 04/07/2021 at 12:20, Clown Job said:

I will admit, I struggle to get a lot of Tam’s pop culture references 

Edit: He really does seem to have a distain for anything created in the 21st century 

Edited by Kapowzer